Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Default My Vita is making me nuts!

So I picked up the CoD Vita bundle for Black Friday as I figured between the deal and the leftover GC I had to Best Buy, I was going to be hard pressed to find a better deal for a while.

Other than that and the fact that the hardware is simply stunning, that's about where the benefit stopped so far.

The bundle comes in and has a pretty easy setup (after the 1.5 hours' worth of updates thanks to 1.8 & 2.0 that is). But no matter, on to the games, that's why I bought the thing.

*Please note, I did not read any reviews of the CoD game before starting it. I'm not saying I deserved it, because no one does, but I should have looked for some fair warning as it might have saved me a bit of frustration.
    Then I boot up CoD, another few hundred MB download and install. Okay, now to play the game. I've never played a CoD game before, but figured it would be worth a shot. I'm no n00b when it comes to FPS but I figure every game is a little different and has a learning curve, so I put it on easy (or whatever it's called). First mission goes all right, still getting used to the controls a bit, although the AI seems to be a little dumb, even for easy. Start the second mission, and didn't finish it for a good 50 tries. First I kept running out of time (I see now how I have to keep moving), mysterious grenades appear that even when I hit the button they tell me to throw back I wind up throwing one of my own back into my face (hate those grenade controls btw), AI goes from walking into walls to pegging me with headshots, aiming is an exercise in frustration, it's like every try is a crapshoot. So I figure if the single player missions are that awful, then the multiplayer has to be great since they obviously didn't put any real effort into single player. Honestly, I don't think I'll ever find out if multiplayer is any good at all as the 30+ attempts I've made to join an online game have been met with disconnects before the map even finishes loading. See the section below about my network connection before thinking that the ping is too high.

Next I think, maybe I'll look for some cool stuff on the PSN to try out. If I like something there I'll buy it. I downloaded the Retro City Rampage and Asphalt demos. Both very cool demos, and I pretty much fell in love with RCR. Even though the game is $15, knowing the history of the game, how I was constantly laughing at all the of the references throughout the demo and how it was genuinely fun, I decided I'll buy that one. So I clicked the buy now button. Nope, now the device was disconnected from PSN. Besides that I've noticed that the device just cannot stay connected to my network and just keeps reconnecting all the time. Maybe that's giving me my CoD issues as well. For a few points of reference:
    -I am using a wireless (b/g/n) network at home over a cable-based ISP (usually gets about 10 MB/s down and 1 MB/s up, bytes not bits)
    -Other than the Vita, that network has 2 laptops, a tablet, 2 smartphones, a Roku box, a Wii and a 360 (wired) hooked up to it. No issues anywhere else
    So the Vita can:
    -Use the browser
    -Browse the PSN store
    -Download demos
    -Use Near
    But it cannot:
    -Add funds to wallet
    -Complete purchases

Another point of reference, I even tried it all tethererd to my smartphone so it would be an entirely different Internet connection. I was met with the exact same issues.

I want to give them more of my money, but if this is the experience I'm having right out of the box and the system has already been out for a while, then how am I supposed to expect this to get any better?

Anyone else have any similar stores or maybe some helpful hints on how to make this a better experience? I can see the potential in this little machine, but it seems far from realized at this point and it's quite disheartening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't had any problems with connectivity on my Vita. The updates normally didn't take longer than 10 minutes or so. I have so far never heard of anyone with connectivity issues either. I'd call PS technical support and see if there is a fault with the WiFi module inside the Vita. You'll learn to love the Vita. Not sure what's going on though - wish I could help you more.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I recently got a 32 Gig memory card for my Vita and my ISP was having MAJOR troubles the night that I wanted to download/re-download a bunch of stuff to that card.

I don't have any scientific proof/evidence, but I will say that, based only on what I observed that night, a weak/flaky upstream SEEMS to be a major impediment with the Wi-Fi communication with the PSN on the Vita. (Also with the Apple Store on iOS devices, as those were similarly having trouble in my tests of the network problems that night.)

My internet speed test results that night were somewhere in the sub-1 MBPS for the upstream and the Vita wouldn't do ANYTHING reliably online where it needed to talk to the PSN or any other service's servers (Netflix, Google, etc.). It was fine with web browsing where it was just pulling down data, and when it could connect to the PSN store to download a game it did a decent job of downloading the software, but in the event that it needed to check for software updates, etc. FORGET IT.

My ISP cleared it all up on their end within 24 hours and everything was a breeze after that my Vita was fine with registering and downloading all of the data that was giving me a headache that night.

This may or may not be your problem, but it sounds like what I was experiencing. I don't have any advice for getting any more juice out of your upstream, maybe the more network savvy people here can give you some ideas.

Do you have a PS3? You can download all of your Vita apps and games there and transfer them over via the on-board software management tool.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have read reviews that the Vita COD is the worst in the entire COD series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's too bad you didn't get the heads up that Cod Vita is a travesty to mankind. I listen to a ton of gaming podcsts, and all of them were saying to avoid the Vita game like the plague. But the random guy out there that doesn't listen to certain podcasts, or view certain websites, wouldn't have the slightlest clue that it's beyond horrible.

Only thing I can say, if you do own a Vita, immediately sign up for a one year membership to Playstation Plus. It will be worth every penny. You would be able to download and play for a year:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    Wipeout 2048
    Mutant Blobs
    Jet Grind Radio
    Gravity Rush

Something else I'm probably forgetting.

Plus.... each month going forward, there would be new games to add to that list.

It's an absolute must own for any Vita owner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Have you tried setting a static IP for your Vita?
    Last edited by Gamevet; 12-03-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Playstation Plus.

It's an absolute must own for any Vita owner.
    And PS3 owner. Even more so if you own both Vita and PS3.

--

It sucks about the problems you're having with the Vita. I haven't had any issue with the Vita's online. I haven't had any technical issues with it actually.

I know there's a 2.01 update since they said they had issues with 2.00. Maybe that will fix the problem?
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-03-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Slight update on this one:

I called the customer service line night before last and explained the situation. They told me my account had been locked and would be for the next 24 hours from when I last tried to make a purchase. They wouldn't even try to help me before that period was up. Went into my account last night after the 24 hours on my computer and put a few $$ into my wallet just to test it and it worked. Okay, we're getting somewhere. Then I fired up the Vita and got hit with the 2.01 update, no problem. That finished, I started RCR (loving it BTW) and went to make the purchase - success!

I just wish there would have been some other indicator to the fact that my account was locked as it would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation. I'll try the CoD online again when I have a bit more time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Slight update on this one:

I called the customer service line night before last and explained the situation. They told me my account had been locked and would be for the next 24 hours from when I last tried to make a purchase. They wouldn't even try to help me before that period was up. Went into my account last night after the 24 hours on my computer and put a few $$ into my wallet just to test it and it worked. Okay, we're getting somewhere. Then I fired up the Vita and got hit with the 2.01 update, no problem. That finished, I started RCR (loving it BTW) and went to make the purchase - success!

I just wish there would have been some other indicator to the fact that my account was locked as it would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation. I'll try the CoD online again when I have a bit more time...
    INTERESTING!

They didn't let you know WHY your account had been locked?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Oh they let me know why it was locked, they said I had too many unsuccessful tries to purchase something. Billing details must have been screwy between my old and new addresses as I first set it up with my PSP a while back.

They just wouldn't do anything with me until that 24 hour period was up.

They only thing was that I wish I had been told when it happened that my account had been locked out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kaedesdisciple View Post
    Oh they let me know why it was locked, they said I had too many unsuccessful tries to purchase something. Billing details must have been screwy between my old and new addresses as I first set it up with my PSP a while back.

They just wouldn't do anything with me until that 24 hour period was up.

They only thing was that I wish I had been told when it happened that my account had been locked out.
    Ah, rightrightright. Gotcha. Yeah, billing details on PSN have always been a PITA.

I remember that for years, whatever billing address info that they used HAD to be like, fucking line-for-line, character-for-character as to how your bank/credit card company listed it or else it wouldn't confirm the info.

So, if your bank statements had the mailing address printed like:

1313 MOCKINGBIRD LN. APT3
    SPRINGFIELD, MA

and you tried ANY OTHER VARIATION like

1313 Mockingbird Lane
    Apartment 3
    Springfield, MA

wouldn't be recognized as valid. You'd have to make everything a case-sensitive exact duplication, and Sony never could confirm or admit that when you called and asked for help ... I think they've got more dynamic verification processes now that allow for variations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've read that COD for Vita is a pretty crappy game, probably just a rushed port of the console versions. As far as the connection issues, it might be something to do with the software updates or maybe something on Sony's end?