Thread: Valve Officially Launches TV-Friendly Steam Big Picture Mode [Slashdot]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Valve Officially Launches TV-Friendly Steam Big Picture Mode [Slashdot]

An anonymous reader writes "Valve on Monday announced the public release of Big Picture, Steam's new mode that lets gamers access their games on a TV, in over 20 languages. Big Picture lets you use a traditional gamepad (as well as a keyboard and mouse) to access the complete Steam store and Steam Community from the comfort of the couch in your living room."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Its the most useless thing ive ever seen... you can use the gamepad to launch games and THATS IT, its just a GUI that launches your game. I tried games that said they were gamepad compatible, and it didnt work or change anyting, it launches the game as you would normally on steam so if it didnt work before, its not working now. Talk about false advertising... and of course games like gta4 and batman only work with the xbox controller, I bought 2 receivers for my pc and both failed in 6 months, no way im buying another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

It's a new UI that's TV friendly. That's all they're saying it is. What exactly were you expecting?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    It's a new UI that's TV friendly. That's all they're saying it is. What exactly were you expecting?
    Universal gamepad support with button mapping... they have a list of games with full gamepad support , I have a thrustmaster firestorm 3 controller and a ps2 adapter, both have wrong button mapping and sticks are all wrong or not working.

heres what it says on steam: FULL
    CONTROLLER SUPPORT

Games with Full Controller Support will work without a keyboard and mouse on hand, from installation to play and beyond.
    *All sale titles are fully controller-supported.

And when i launch arkam city, I have to close big picture for the game to start, so yes this thing is a mess. and USELESS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 360 receivers junk pretty quickly, but it is an extremely simple solder job to fix it permanently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    The 360 receivers junk pretty quickly, but it is an extremely simple solder job to fix it permanently.
    Yeah these things would need a national recall, everyone I know who bought one, its not working anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Universal gamepad support with button mapping... they have a list of games with full gamepad support , I have a thrustmaster firestorm 3 controller and a ps2 adapter, both have wrong button mapping and sticks are all wrong or not working.

CONTROLLER SUPPORT

Games with Full Controller Support will work without a keyboard and mouse on hand, from installation to play and beyond.

And when i launch arkam city, I have to close big picture for the game to start, so yes this thing is a mess. and USELESS
    Valve never said that all games were suddenly and magically going to get controller support. And who said anything anywhere about button mapping? I think you're mad because Valve didn't give you what you wanted, but that's not at all what they're advertising. If it's useless, then don't use it. It's just a new UI, the old one still works.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

CONTROLLER SUPPORT

It's full controller support for the UI, not for the individual games. What you're asking for is a bit unreasonable. Steam only distributes games, value doesn't have a programming say in all of them.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

A lot of games will require the Xbox pad, or a suitable replacement. My older Logitech pad doesn't work properly on many games, and others flat out don't recognize it as a USB device. And you still have to configure the pad in the game. That's up to the dev. It won't do it for you automatically in most cases. What gamepad are you using?

Also, this mode is a bit of a problem if you have lots of games, like me. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and of course games like gta4 and batman only work with the xbox controller, I bought 2 receivers for my pc and both failed in 6 months, no way im buying another one.
    That's also not true. Why do so many people think that so many games only support the Xbox 360 controller? Any controller that supports XInput, like the Logitech F series, will work with it. Try a Logitech F710 or something if you don't like the Xbox 360 controller.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click