Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Prototypes (images)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Game Prototypes (images)

It is always interesting seeing prototype old school gaming consoles and there is a hand full of images on the internet containing prototype images of various consoles. I found this one of the NES console and it is interesting to see the differences from the real product. The NES was originally designed to be a top loader as seen in the image and then Nintendo decided to go a different route. I think the NES design was based off of the Back to the Future Delorean. (call me crazy for saying this) Here is the prototype image.

If possible, you guys should try to hunt down more prototype images and post them here. These images are gaming treasures.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nes5.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	5978

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found another prototype image of the Super Nintendo console, with an article included which is pretty cool

Name:	snes_us.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	5979

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a rare prototype of a portable SEGA console from 1990, called Porta Drive. Some kind of hand-held.

Name:	porta_unit.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	5980

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did you know that Sega Mega Drive actually had a prototype Banking Machine?? Check this out...

Name:	mega_anser.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	5981

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Mega Drive bank thingy actually came out in Japan. It wasn't cheap.

http://segaretro.org/Mega_Anser

With the printer it cost around $890 in US dollars. Without it, it was still around $415. Cartridge only was around $60.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamingpalooza View Post
    I found another prototype image of the Super Nintendo console, with an article included which is pretty cool

Name:	snes_us.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	5979
    There are tons of images for NES and SNES protos out there!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It is always interesting seeing prototype old school gaming consoles and there is a hand full of images on the internet containing prototype images of various consoles. I found this one of the NES console and it is interesting to see the differences from the real product. The NES was originally designed to be a top loader as seen in the image and then Nintendo decided to go a different route. I think the NES design was based off of the Back to the Future Delorean. (call me crazy for saying this) Here is the prototype image.

If possible, you guys should try to hunt down more prototype images and post them here. These images are gaming treasures.

Name:	nes5.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	5978
    I'm sorry, but why are we posting them here? There are already dedicated sites like Assembler that cater to this sort of thing. If you had something unique to share or some new information, that might be useful, but just reposting what's already readily available using a Google search isn't productive or very interesting.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm sorry, but why are we posting them here? There are already dedicated sites like Assembler that cater to this sort of thing. If you had something unique to share or some new information, that might be useful, but just reposting what's already readily available using a Google search isn't productive or very interesting.
    I'm sorry but why are we posting just about anything on this whole forum when you can find those said things with a simple google search.

Because its called socializing.
    I for one like this thread already. Some pictures I never seen before! Keep em coming! I love seeing what people thought of before releasing the final product!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yeah this thread is pretty interesting. I would have never thought to do a google search for prototype game systems in the first place and I read these forums all the time. This is the first time I'm seeing these and its all pretty cool to me. I like that Playstation one that was posted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But actually what you are doing is removing the original context from all the pictures. Things like explanations, sources, and proof. Out the window.

This one, for example:
    This is a rare prototype of a portable SEGA console from 1990, called Porta Drive. Some kind of hand-held.

Name:	porta_unit.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	5980
    It's not a prototype of a Sega console; it's a magazine artist's concept of what the then-recently-announced Game Gear might look like. It was drawn in Beep! Megadrive magazine in Japan.

And, how could a prototype *picture* be rare, anyway? This pencil sketch can be had easily if you buy said Megadrive magazine from a shop or collector.

You're not doing anybody a service by removing important contextual information from alongside scans.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ccovell View Post
    But actually what you are doing is removing the original context from all the pictures. Things like explanations, sources, and proof. Out the window.

This one, for example:

It's not a prototype of a Sega console; it's a magazine artist's concept of what the then-recently-announced Game Gear might look like. It was drawn in Beep! Megadrive magazine in Japan.

And, how could a prototype *picture* be rare, anyway? This pencil sketch can be had easily if you buy said Megadrive magazine from a shop or collector.

You're not doing anybody a service by removing important contextual information from alongside scans.
    Strongly agree. There is no point in just grabbing a bunch of random images from other sources. If there was some context or narrative thread or analysis being applied, this thread would make sense. As it stands, this is just like getting in a room full of people and throwing a bunch of random pictures in a pile on the floor. It doesn't stimulate conversation because nobody can really add much to it other than to say "oh, that looks cool".

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Name:	VCSprototype1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	5982

I found this, supposedly it is an Atari 2600 prototype which is a great find, and for those who complain about this... what good is it search for this stuff by your self when you can do it with all your gaming forum buddies right here on a forum? Its fun and entertaining and that is the whole point of it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Name:	kee_2600.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	5983

Here is a rare Atari 2600. Atari was going to counter all of the 2600 clones by creating a second brand called "Kee", in which they attempted to create their own clones. This was a prototype.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Name:	kee_2600.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	5983

Here is a rare Atari 2600. Atari was going to counter all of the 2600 clones by creating a second brand called "Kee", in which they attempted to create their own clones. This was a prototype.
    That photo is clearly from a Classic Gaming Expo museum table. I recognize the white pipe & drape tablecloth.

I bet you didn't know that the proprietor of this website has the exact system featured in that photo in his museum collection! (Actually I'm pretty sure it's John Hardie's, but since all of the collections have pretty much been consolidated under one banner at this point, same difference.)

http://www.vghmuseum.org/
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-04-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what good is it search for this stuff by your self when you can do it with all your gaming forum buddies right here on a forum? Its fun and entertaining and that is the whole point of it.
    Entertainment is one thing, spreading (or inventing) misinformation is another. That's how fanzines (and lesser commercial magazines too) operate: "We make up facts, but at least they're entertaining!" which leads to lies about consoles/games that spread around the internet and become impossible to quash.

Post pictures, sure. Post their original links too. The original websites are usually good sources of fun and discussion as well...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Entertainment is one thing, spreading (or inventing) misinformation is another. That's how fanzines (and lesser commercial magazines too) operate: "We make up facts, but at least they're entertaining!" which leads to lies about consoles/games that spread around the internet and become impossible to quash.

Post pictures, sure. Post their original links too. The original websites are usually good sources of fun and discussion as well...
    Relax dude, we are not doing any harm here or misinforming anyone. We are just looking at prototype consoles for fun and entertainment... thats it... why take the fun out of it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've already posted 2 things which were NOT prototypes, and said that they were. See?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've already posted 2 things which were NOT prototypes, and said that they were. See?
    Whether it is a concept sketch or a fully functional machine prototype, they both fall into the same categories, and there shouldn't be no issues with discussing them and looking at the images here. The Kee 2600 is a prototype secondary Atari brand console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Kee is a prototype, OK. I wasn't referring to that. I was referring to the "Porta Drive" and the Mega Anser. The Anser was released, so that pic is not a prototype. The Porta Drive concept sketch was drawn by a magazine artist with no connection to Sega, in other words: daydreaming.

The "Porta Drive" could fall under a "Boy, did that magazine get their prediction wrong" thread, but putting it up as an actual Sega proto is stretching things. If you disagree with me, then I have a proto drawing of the rare Wii UVWXYZ-128 to show you. ;-D

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Concept art?