1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Default Wii U Miiverse mods...fascists?

So, I've made a total of 3 posts in the Wii U's Miiverse area (it's like a "twitter" account where you can talk about games). I've already had one post deleted by mods, and they blocked my profile for "inappropriate content".

The post they deleted was a drawing that simply depicted jail. It was a stick figure behind bars. There was no profanity, no suggestion of salad tossing, rape or making pruno. They nuked it and sent me a message saying it violated the Miiverse Code of Conduct. I told my friend and he attempted to recreate the same picture and post it. They deleted that too.

They then targeted my profile. In my "profile message" are a couple quotes from the epic European Zero Wing Intro, Specifically "someone set us up the bomb" and "make your time". They blocked my profile, stating it had "inappropriate content". I guess I can understand them having an issue with the "bomb" statement, but I'm sure people are making similar statements in the Call of Duty thread.

What's nutty about this is that they don't tell you what aspect of your post/image was deemed inappropriate. There's an appeal process but it just sends a form reply to the mods and they never tell you what was really wrong with your content.

I'm all for Nintendo working to keep the MiiVerse a "family friendly" environment, but this is bordering on downright censorship, and it's stifling creativity by limiting what people can talk about. That seems to be the direct opposite of what opening content to user input is supposed to do.

Is anybody else having problems with this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo isn't the government so it doesn't qualify as censorship. They're a private company and they have a code of conduct that apparently you violated.

Nintendo has always been a very kid friendly company so it probably doesn't take much to violate their code of conduct.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    Nintendo isn't the government so it doesn't qualify as censorship. They're a private company and they have a code of conduct that apparently you violated.

Nintendo has always been a very kid friendly company so it probably doesn't take much to violate their code of conduct.
    Fair enough. But it's not very much fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

So, purely out of curiosity...

If censorship is a term only used to describe actions taken on behalf of the government, then how would one describe a situation where developers were forced to take naked statues out of NES games, remove blood and gore from Mortal Kombat, etc.? As we all know, Nintendo was infamous for doing this in the 80's and early 90's.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I hear that Jim Sterling has turned the Rayman Miiverse "Rabbids Land" section into a shrine to Willem Dafoe and after an initial smattering of post removals that the mods have pretty much given up and let the inmates run that particular asylum.

Might be worth a look for a laugh.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 12-05-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    So, purely out of curiosity...

If censorship is a term only used to describe actions taken on behalf of the government, then how would one describe a situation where developers were forced to take naked statues out of NES games, remove blood and gore from Mortal Kombat, etc.? As we all know, Nintendo was infamous for doing this in the 80's and early 90's.
    It's not a term only applicable to government involvement, anyone can censor anything they want for any reason they want. Not sure why some people here think it only applies to government involvement or for legal reasons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZpATBJnZM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Omg that was classic.

So yeah, I was a bit miffed that everything I posted was getting labeled as "filth" by nintendos virtual storm troopers, but now I just think its kinda funny.

Hopefully they'll loosen up a bit. Off topic insanity is what makes those threads worth viewing.

The funky barn community is pretty darn funny for those who may care to look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Wii U Miiverse mods...fascists? yes, totally! Seriously the most fun I had so far with my Wii U is testing the limits of miiverse, its ridiculous. How much people are working to read every single message and drawings? They get banned instantly even without spelling the word (i wrote nintendo go fork yourselves! or go #### yourselves, and it got deleted in a minute!) Nintendo still doesnt get the online side of business, they are trying to censor everything like they own the intenet while you can video chat with a complete stranger (even kids, now thats scary!) without a problem and drawing penises full of jizz near there faces... you cant write the work cock, so i wrote C O C K is the male of most species of birds, will you really censor a fact nintendo?... they did! I even made a drawing of monita with a bubble saying SHUT UP! ... got censored etc etc. Anonoying, ridiculous and fun at the same time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    How much people are working to read every single message and drawings?
    The job is probably outsourced to a subset of the same sad, traumatized folks who have to manually do all the Facebook filtering. See for instance http://gawker.com/5885714/ .
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    The job is probably outsourced to a subset of the same sad, traumatized folks who have to manually do all the Facebook filtering. See for instance http://gawker.com/5885714/ .
    hmmmm... interesting. Is nintendo exploiting third world countrys to monitor everything? lets investigate!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They probably lose far, far less sales to people who get annoyed with the censorship than they would if stories started going around about the horrible things little Timmy found with his vidyagame. Same goes for the whole Friend-code thing, I reckon.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

"But what about the children and the pederasts who crave them?" Asketh Nintendo, their lawyers barking at the ends of their leashes.

The Internet as a whole is a weird, wild and lawless open environment, where individual web masters determine what constitutes acceptable behavior for their domain. The Mii-verse is Nintendo's corner, so what they say goes. If they object to twitter accounts and profanity, well, that's that.

I'd like to clarify the definition of censorship while I'm here; censorship is the purposeful altering or removal of content from a public forum by an authority, usually associated with a sinister purpose. Banning books, baudlerizing classic literature or film, etc. are examples of this.

Nintendo is moderating a platform which they own and operate, which is perfectly within their rights, even if it seems backwards and short sighted. Considering how much they hate and fear the Internet in general, I'm astonished that the Mii-verse even exists, let alone exists as a key feature on a flagship console product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default finally got banned!

well finally got banned... if i cant say whats on my mind on their childish forums, i guess ill stick with my other consoles since its the only thing i enjoyed with wii u. They lost a lifetime customer, im done with nintendo. Did you see all the shovelware it has for a launch console? Rappala fishing, cabela hunt, 30 great party games, party champions, sing it, raving rabbids, funky barn, ben 10, rise of the guardian the movie, transformers (which is exactly the same graphically as the wii version!!), wipeout 3, people on miiverse are actually pissed about all these games and I got banned for speaking my mind, hope everybody draws a giant penis on those crappy game forums and tell them to suck it. I feel like this is the original wii all over again, and in a year we will get lazy ports that are inferior to the new consoles from sony and microsoft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i guess ill stick with my other consoles since its the only thing i enjoyed with wii u.
    Seriously? You paid three hundred bucks to post on some Internet forums?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well finally got banned... if i cant say whats on my mind on their childish forums, i guess ill stick with my other consoles since its the only thing i enjoyed with wii u. They lost a lifetime customer, im done with nintendo. Did you see all the shovelware it has for a launch console? Rappala fishing, cabela hunt, 30 great party games, party champions, sing it, raving rabbids, funky barn, ben 10, rise of the guardian the movie, transformers (which is exactly the same graphically as the wii version!!), wipeout 3, people on miiverse are actually pissed about all these games and I got banned for speaking my mind, hope everybody draws a giant penis on those crappy game forums and tell them to suck it. I feel like this is the original wii all over again, and in a year we will get lazy ports that are inferior to the new consoles from sony and microsoft.
    1) I really can't feel all that bad for you if you knew that they had a strict moderation policy and you still decided to push it.

2) Can you really be surprised that there's waves of shovelware planned for the Wii U?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

It is pretty scary how they delete a post less than 1 minute after its put up. But that's fine, I don't need the miiverse to enjoy my wii u. Truthfully, I wish consoles would just play games again. I feel like all this extraneous functionality probably just jacks up the price, and its not what I buy the machine for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Seriously? You paid three hundred bucks to post on some Internet forums?
    I didnt know what was miiverse, I buy every console at launch, and seriously this, FOR ME, has to be one of the worst launch in recent years (ps3 was pretty bad too). Sure, AC3 BLOPS2 Darksiders 2, mass effect 3 and batman are fine games, but if you already owned ps3 or 360, these games were released already. I did enjoy sonic all stars racing though, its an amazing game, but the only true exclusive games are nintendoland (OK game, not great, was fun for 2 hours) NSMBU (already owned the one on wii that i never finished, and its exactly the same...) and zombiU wich i havent tried yet... looks like a generic lauch game, but i will give it a rent to see if i like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I buy every console at launch, and seriously this, FOR ME, has to be one of the worst launch in recent years (ps3 was pretty bad too).
    Maybe you should stop buying them at launch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Maybe you should stop buying them at launch.
    no! waiting for consoles to drop 199$ at the end of their life cycle is just silly to me, theres only a year left before next generation. Id rather pay a little bit more and use it for 6 years.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

no! waiting for consoles to drop 199$ at the end of their life cycle is just silly to me, theres only a year left before next generation. Id rather pay a little bit more and use it for 6 years.
    You don't have to wait six years. Maybe wait just one or two years? When there's a decent amount that you want to get. Don't get suckered into the hype though. The 3DS price dropped and then I purchased one during a buy two get one free sale for games. I've got around 10+ games but haven't played much of the system because the games haven't been very good, or they have been good but got boring too quickl(Mario Kart 7. Amazing game..... for two days.)

The PS3 was also a disappointment to me. Thankfully there was 1080p upscaled backwards compatibility, because I wasn't interested in a lot of the games that were coming out for it. It was atleast a year before there was a steady amount of good games for the system.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-07-2012 at 12:58 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.