Thread: I found my first ever cocktail Arcade machine!

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I found my first ever cocktail Arcade machine!

OK, so my friend let me know about this local ad and sure enough it was the same old Ms Pac Man arcade cocktail I used to play as a kid. It has a few problems like rust, wear, and it randomingly resetting but hopefully I can get it restored. I'm definitely a newbie in this field but I couldn't pass this thing up.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

AWESOME!!

I have one of these in my kitchen...
    .long story short,it was a dream of mine to own one,played it as a kid..found one at a flea market..I never see anything like this at a flea market
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1259159&type=3
    It's my only coctail table..

I needed work
    here's where I got parts.
    .http://www.pac-man.com/
    I also had to replace the board so I bought one off ebay from a reputable seller..

I kept the machine all original,not buying the boards with muli games or upgrades...

The most problematic part in this machine is the fuse holder..clean that area and make sure the fuses ae making good contact,it clears up a lot of issues..someday I will install a fuse kit
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 12-06-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

always wanted one of these as a coffee table though I want one with a PC that runs MAME.

think the wife would never allow that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    AWESOME!!

I have one of these in my kitchen...
    .long story short,it was a dream of mine to own one,played it as a kid..found one at a flea market..I never see anything like this at a flea market
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1259159&type=3
    It's my only coctail table..

I needed work
    here's where I got parts.
    .http://www.pac-man.com/
    I also had to replace the board so I bought one off ebay from a reputable seller..

I kept the machine all original,not buying the boards with muli games or upgrades...

The most problematic part in this machine is the fuse holder..clean that area and make sure the fuses ae making good contact,it clears up a lot of issues..someday I will install a fuse kit
    Thanks for the link and awesome arcade collection there too. So far I took the machine to an arcade owner and I'm hoping he can fix it. I'm like you and I want to leave it as original as possible.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    Thanks for the link and awesome arcade collection there too. So far I took the machine to an arcade owner and I'm hoping he can fix it. I'm like you and I want to leave it as original as possible.

Thank you..

Good luck..

Keep me updated to your progress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

You might also check out therealbobroberts.net for a monitor cap kit. If the monitor is still using the original caps, I highly recommend replacing them.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Welcome to the club!

God I love my cocktail table.

There's something so timeless and classy about them.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beyond awesome, dude. If there is ONE cocktail to own, Ms. Pac-Man is it. Christmas comes early for you, eh?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a update to my new Ms Pacman machine:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    You might also check out therealbobroberts.net for a monitor cap kit. If the monitor is still using the original caps, I highly recommend replacing them.
    That must be the cause of the right bottom discolouring if I'm right?

Insert Coin (Level 0) shane7951's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cocktail machines always look cool. My wife and I have a full size Ms. Pacman machine with a speed chip in it. Seriously with the speed chip its one of the funniest games to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

yes, old dried out caps can cause all sorts of problems. I just had my upright DK Jr. recapped a couple weeks ago and looks like almost brand new now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Nice find!

One of my prized possessions is a cocktail Centipede cabinet. We actually have the legs extended so it is at bar-stool height - something you rarely see.

Sadly the monitor dies in it last year. The caps were replaced in 2007, so we're pretty sure it is indeed the monitor that died.
    A friend was suggesting putting in an LCD monitor but I can't find any good info on how to do that.

Does anyone here know how tricky it might be to replace the tube monitor with a flat screen?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Oh man, at first I thought you'd found the specific/unique cabinet that you'd played on as a kid. That'd be something else! Still, very cool, I love cocktail cabinets. Congrats from me and my Galaga cocktail (the game I played as a kid)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Actually, that has nothing to do with a cap kit.

When a CRT TV screen is placed near a magnetic source, the screen will discolor. Most CRT monitors have what's called a "degaussing coil" wired around the tube itself to demagnetize the screen when they power up.

On older monitors such as Electrohome G07's and Wells Gardner 4XXX models are most likely to not have working degaussing coils because of their age.

The best solution is to buy a manual degaussing coil from any electronics store. The only problem is finding them. Most places that had them no longer carry them since CRT technology is now considered obsolete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post

When a CRT TV screen is placed near a magnetic source, the screen will discolor. Most CRT monitors have what's called a "degaussing coil" wired around the tube itself to demagnetize the screen when they power up.

On older monitors such as Electrohome G07's and Wells Gardner 4XXX models are most likely to not have working degaussing coils because of their age.

The best solution is to buy a manual degaussing coil from any electronics store. The only problem is finding them. Most places that had them no longer carry them since CRT technology is now considered obsolete.
    It's interesting you mention this. I turned my DK Jr. to the side this evening so I could access the back panel and adjust the volume. When I went to start a game so I could hear sound and adjust accordingly, I noticed all my colors were off on the left side of the screen. Couldn't figure out why, so I replaced the rear panel and turned the machine back against the wall as it was before. Miraculously, colors all went back to normal. Only thing we could think of is the left side of the arcade was against the wall where my dimming light switches are. Any chance the wires running in the wall or the switches themselves caused interference?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice find! Getting the machines working are always a test of patience for me, probably cuz of my limited skill set in that area.

I have been pretty lucky finding good cheap cocktail tables. Currently, I have 4 in my house. My first one is a Super Pacman.Found in in a penny saver type magazine 15 years ago. Still looks and works like new. $200 was a good deal.

Next up, a GORF cocktail that is also in great shape. Bought it 15 years ago. The sound is great, two different speakers....one for sound effects, and one for the voice. Very cool game and I love playing it. The color was starting to go, so I finally had to have it capped a few months back. $125 for the guy to cap it(included pick-up/drop off). Great deal for $150 plus $125 for the cap job.

I have a Ms Pacman that has a 60-1 kit. I paid toooooo much for this as it was suppose to be brand new. It wasn't and the cabinet was in good shape but definately not new. I love this game, and it see's a lot of play from our family and from friends who drop by.

Next cocktail game is one I bet no one has even seen or played. It is a big cocktail table called Astro Laser, and was designed to be a cocktail table game only. It is a fun two player game that involves you shooting ships like space invaders, but you can also shoot the other player who is across from you. It is a weird game, but very fun when you get two people who are competitive. I paid $50 cuz the pots were all turned up too much. After 5 minutes of adjustment, the game works great. It is a really strange game that grows on you when you play someone who wants to win as much as you!
    http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=ast...detail&id=1351

My wife is very understanding. As long as I keep the games out of the kitchen and our living room, life is good.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post

You can try using a soldering gun (has to be a gun, not a regular iron) to manually degauss. I used to have to do this on an old CRT TV that developed some nasty gaussing and had no built in degausser.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I own a Hotrace (Rally-x) clone cocktail table and have discoloring now after lifting the monitor out to clean the inside,i noticed a degausing coil around the tube but i think i might need to purchase a specific tool to sole the problem.
    Nice find with that Ms.Pacman by the way.