Thread: What are your favorite items that came packed in with your favorite classic games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default What are your favorite items that came packed in with your favorite classic games

So what's your favorite item that came packaged in with a video game? Is it the 2600 Omega Race Booster Grip or maybe the Coleco Roller Controller with Slither? Maybe you liked the mouse that came packed in with Mario Paint or the Rumble Pack you first got with Starfox 64. . . or coud it be that you liked the Reel Fishing fake fishing reel? Can you honestly say you weren't tempted to buy a Saturn when you noticed that Virtua Cop came out packaged with the Stunner?

I spent quite a bit of time researching the great pack-ins of video gaming, so check out my NerdkO article and see if you agree with me on what I think is the greatest pack-in of all time...

http://n4g.com/news/1133453/the-best...ed-with-a-game

Let's here about your favorite!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Nice article!

Man, TOUGH DECISIONS here, so many great/novel pack-ins to consider...

All of the Rock-Band peripherals are an obvious (and largely mandatory) choice for those of us who sunk a few years into regular play sessions ...

And I wound up using the Socom USB headphone not only for the entire lifetime of all online PS2 games that supported it, but also as my computer headset for tons of Skype-ing and podcasting activities as well as on several early PS3 online games (before I got the Bluetooth headset included with Warhawk, which also gets an honorable mention from me) ...

I do have a soft spot for the Playstation Eye-Toy and that did get a lot of use in my household over the years.

Not sure if I can pick a favorite, but I do love me some pack-ins in general!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I’m partial to all the Working Designs pack-in stuff myself.

I could make my grandma jealous with all the jewelry I’ve got from Working Desighs.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I have always been partial to maps - particularly cloth maps. The map with the various collectors editions of Middle Earth - War in the North was outstanding. (the NES import of Miracle Warriors came with a very nice map and pewter figure to boot.)

I have large box import edition of the famicom game "Fleet Commander" that has a cloth map and a fleet of minature plastic ships and planes that I like a lot.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This is an excellent question!

I don't know if it's my 'favorite' thing, but the map that came with Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord for the Master System is definitely one of my favorite pack-in items. Of course there's been ton of better shit over the years, but back then I just thought that map was so awesome. I didn't even like the game all that much honestly, but I loved that damn map.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure how "classic" 1999 is but the cloth maps that came with the original Everquest were REALLY nice, much better than the poster-style ones that came after Shadows of Luclin launched. Generally maps are always my favorite pack-in, they're both highly useful when playing the game and the nicest ones make awesome wall art.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Just a memory that will likely continue to stick in my head for years to come: the "Invisible ink" letter that came packed in with StarTropics. I still remember running over to the bathroom sink to see what that thing said after the game told me about it.

Just can't do that kind of stuff anymore now that we have places like GameFAQs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battyone View Post
    Not sure how "classic" 1999 is but the cloth maps that came with the original Everquest were REALLY nice, much better than the poster-style ones that came after Shadows of Luclin launched. Generally maps are always my favorite pack-in, they're both highly useful when playing the game and the nicest ones make awesome wall art.
    While not a pack in I found this too enticing and bought one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDEO-GAMES-...ht_8746wt_1395

(It is missing the bottom row of screens - I bought it anyway and emalied the seller who said he may do that row next year - it would be nice to make it complete. It is very well done and is printed on a very nice light card stock. )

The ulima maps were also very well done - I just had an Ultima II one framed in a metallic blue frame.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    While not a pack in I found this too enticing and bought one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDEO-GAMES-...ht_8746wt_1395

(It is missing the bottom row of screens - I bought it anyway and emalied the seller who said he may do that row next year - it would be nice to make it complete. It is very well done and is printed on a very nice light card stock. )

The ulima maps were also very well done - I just had an Ultima II one framed in a metallic blue frame.
    Not only is that awesosme, now when I get home I have to dig out my Gameboy Color again. I get _chills_ from the ballad of the wind fish. I may have to get one after Christmas, shipping 5.55(GBP) isn't bad for shipping to the states. Cool find!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't believe I'm the only one, but my favorite pack-in was this:

Yes, that's mine, I still have it after all these years. My very own, original-issue, microscopic space fleet packaged with my Infocom Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. (Took it out of the ziploc bag for the photo.)

;-)
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    I have always been partial to maps - particularly cloth maps. The map with the various collectors editions of Middle Earth - War in the North was outstanding. (the NES import of Miracle Warriors came with a very nice map and pewter figure to boot.)

I have large box import edition of the famicom game "Fleet Commander" that has a cloth map and a fleet of minature plastic ships and planes that I like a lot.
    Wait, what? A pewter figure came with Miracle Warriors? Stranger things have happened, but I can't believe I didn't know about this. Google just turns up ... this thread.

I can't say what my favorite pack-in was. I can say that the fruit roll-up in Gunstar Heroes is damn cool, as is the troll doll in the Troll NES game. I have neither item, unfortunately.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The Final Fantasy explorer handbook. It was well written, extremely detailed, with lots of picture, etc. I always brought it to school and read through it. So I could read about all of the game up to acquiring the airship when I wasn't able to play it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The DDR pads come to mind immediately. The games would be pretty dull without them.

I always liked it when games came with monster charts (Dragon Warriors, Final Fantasy, Heroes of Might and Magic). World Maps are nice to have too.

Although I haven't got around to playing them yet, I think including mini newspapers with the Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective games is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Wait, what? A pewter figure came with Miracle Warriors? Stranger things have happened, but I can't believe I didn't know about this. Google just turns up ... this thread
    Here's the largest picture I could find for the Famicom version:

The Mark III version also came with a figurine:

http://www.smspower.org/Games/MiracleWarriors-SMS

I'm pretty sure the Japanese computer versions had the figurine as well.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The 3D controller with Nights Into Dreams for Saturn. That controller was great and worked well with many of the late release games at the time. Now a days that I have Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga and other games that support it, it has come in handy. I think the 3D controller was to the Saturn is the same as what the six button controller was to the Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For some reason, "Killer Cuts" - the cd soundtrack included with Killer Instinct (SNES) was the first thing that came to mind.

Lunar 1 + 2 remakes on the Playstation had tons of great goodies. Seaman (Dreamcast), boxed with the microphone (even if it's functionality was sometimes questionable). The Wheel that came with Mario Kart Wii was swell (I've never played once without it).

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have the Stellar Patrol card in my wallet that came with Planetside text adventure game

Insert Coin (Level 0) DaddyMulk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Fruit Roll-Up that came packaged with Gunstar Heroes was pretty tasty.....

But in all sincerity, Lucia's pendant that was packed in with the PS1 version of Lunar: Eternal Blue is still my favorite inclusion. I'm tempted to scour Ebay for a spare right now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I used to love getting the catalogs that came with Atari 2600 games be it Atari, Activision, Imagic, etc. Sometimes I'd read through those catalogs before I tried the game I just bought.