Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It bothers me that Goldeneye is living on as a classic and yet Perfect Dark is fading into obscurity

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default It bothers me that Goldeneye is living on as a classic and yet Perfect Dark is fading into obscurity

All it takes is one look on ebay to see this is happening prices for Goldeneye are rather high like 20 dollars for a loose cart. Perfect Dark is under 10 dollars for a loose cart.
    Perfect Dark took almost everything Goldeneye did good and improved upon it a lot. It's either that or people have raging hard-ons for James Bond
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The single player mode on Goldeneye was better and the multiplayer stages on Goldeneye were also better. That being said, Perfect Dark's multiplayer was far better than Goldeneye and had some of the best Goldeneye stages in its multiplayer.

I think they're both classics and should be equally as desirable, but like you mentioned, it being a James bond game might increase its value. There are people out there who don't care about video games who might purchase it because of the IP.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think a lot of it has to do with timing too. I feel that due to when they were released quite a few more people played Goldeneye compared to Perfect Dark. By the time PD was released Dreamcast was on the US market for a few months, and gamers were looking ahead to the next generation of gaming, whereas Goldeneye was a (relatively) early hit in the N64s life cycle. Basically Goldeneye was there at the peak of the N64s steam and PD came in at the very end of the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like being said above, James Bond is an internationally known character, Joanna Dark isn't., Plus factor in that Perfect Dark Zero was a dud and God knows if there will ever be another PD game and that does it. They still make Bond games and many people who get amped for a new Bond game thinks, "Hey man, remember GoldenEye for the Nintendo 64? That game was awesome back in the day. I should pick it up again so I can play it again!" Possibly, if a new Perfect Dark game released, you might see the same thing happen with the prequels, as it were. I personally am not a fan of either game, but I understand what is happening sales wise.

EDIT: On a side note, the original Perfect Dark is also available for XBOX Live. Not sure how much of that has to do with the sales figures either, but it is there for ease of use for some people.
    Last edited by T2KFreeker; 12-06-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I've played Perfect Dark and thought it was crap. A large part of the game is only accessible if you have the expansion pack, and even then it's only good if you're playing multiplayer. I don't know anybody else who still plays older games like me so that limits me to single player, which really sucks as all you do is play against robots in game for training until the timer runs out and you're given a score based on your performance. If there's more to the game than that I've never experienced it. I'm surprised this is worth more than $5, I'm assuming because it's because the N64 is exploding with popularity and high prices right now.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree that Perfect Dark is technically the better game in many ways, however, as others have pointed out, Goldeneye is just a much more interesting and rich setting. Even today I vividly remember the first time I played it and how the music and effects and theme all tied together in such a cohesive and cinematic way. With Pefect Dark on the other hand, I can't even remember much about the story or the environment. I just remember the actual shooting gameplay was really smooth.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Both of these games are so good, I'll never let them go. Must-have titles for the system, unless you just absolutely despise the FPS genre haha.

Has anyone cleared PD on the highest difficulty (Perfect Agent I think it's called) -- holy fuck it's HARD!!! I can do 00 Agent in Goldeneye, and in fact did it a second time about a year ago. The Caverns was the toughest level to do since the enemies have armour and there are a bunch of tricky parts to the mission.. but PD is ridiculous. I think I gave up trying to do the Area 51 infiltration. I keep dying at the very end where there is, in fact, unlimited enemies and you have to run to the exit. It's such a pain to replay the entire mission, praying you preserve as much health as possible, for the end, hoping to pull it off.

I have no idea why it's so hard. Maybe I should go back to PD and try again...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    Both of these games are so good, I'll never let them go. Must-have titles for the system, unless you just absolutely despise the FPS genre haha.

Has anyone cleared PD on the highest difficulty (Perfect Agent I think it's called) -- holy fuck it's HARD!!! I can do 00 Agent in Goldeneye, and in fact did it a second time about a year ago. The Caverns was the toughest level to do since the enemies have armour and there are a bunch of tricky parts to the mission.. but PD is ridiculous. I think I gave up trying to do the Area 51 infiltration. I keep dying at the very end where there is, in fact, unlimited enemies and you have to run to the exit. It's such a pain to replay the entire mission, praying you preserve as much health as possible, for the end, hoping to pull it off.

I have no idea why it's so hard. Maybe I should go back to PD and try again...
    Even on normal difficulty the game is ridiculously hard. I gave up on it. I wish it could be played with a mouse/keyboard setup. Soooo much more responsive.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I don’t care for either but that’s coming from someone that grew up with a mouse and keyboard for FPSs to this day I can’t use a controller worth a crap in FPSs so if it’s not on PC I don’t play it.

I do think it strange that the reason one is held above the other is because it’s a movie tie-in game where that is usually the exact opposite with just about every other game. I guess being made by the same people helps.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both are important N64 games with Goldeneye having a clear edge in terms of its place in history. I actually played Goldeneye a few weeks ago and found the controls confusing and frustrating in comparison to modern FPS console games. It's not something I'll likely go back to and play anytime soon, but it was thrilling as a teenager to play with my friends.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I recall vastly preferring Goldeneye to Perfect Dark at the time, I think it's tough to go back to either after the massive massive improvements David Doak and company at Free Radical made with the TimeSplitters (series which also shares DNA with those other games).

If there's one classic FPS series that is fading into obscurity that makes me sad, it's not Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, it's TimeSplitters!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    While I recall vastly preferring Goldeneye to Perfect Dark at the time, I think it's tough to go back to either after the massive massive improvements David Doak and company at Free Radical made with the TimeSplitters (series which also shares DNA with those other games).

If there's one classic FPS series that is fading into obscurity that makes me sad, it's not Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, it's TimeSplitters!
    Fuck yeah! Timesplitters 2 & 3 on Xbox rule.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've played Perfect Dark and thought it was crap. A large part of the game is only accessible if you have the expansion pack, and even then it's only good if you're playing multiplayer. I don't know anybody else who still plays older games like me so that limits me to single player, which really sucks as all you do is play against robots in game for training until the timer runs out and you're given a score based on your performance. If there's more to the game than that I've never experienced it. I'm surprised this is worth more than $5, I'm assuming because it's because the N64 is exploding with popularity and high prices right now.
    The game also has its own single player storyline as well. I remember it with being extremely limited without the expansion pack so maybe single player required the expansion pack as well.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Even on normal difficulty the game is ridiculously hard. I gave up on it. I wish it could be played with a mouse/keyboard setup. Soooo much more responsive.
    Aint that the truth, I was just playing the first Area 51 level on normal and got my ass handed to me by those damn automatic guns, and then it's like the AI knows exactly where to shoot, like right in the head. Don't even get me started on that Area 51 level where your the Alien, that level is, just bullshit, and there's a cheat that I never earned because you have to do it in a certain amount of time on Perfect Agent.

I think a big reason Perfect Dark isn't played more than Goldeneye is the fact that to play the whole game you have to have the expansion pak. Granted you can still play the game, but as a kid you're like, hey where's all that cool stuff I seen on TV? And oh I have to convince my parents to buy me this $30 thing from my N64?

Not to mention gamers that didn't know about the expansion pak, never knew Perfect Dark had more to it. Only three games require the expansion pak to play, and most N64's I knew had the jumper pak.

Ask for the control thing, I never had a problem playing Goldeneye as a kid, the controls were very easy to learn and I can still play it to this day, strafing and all. I can't stand modern FPS, way too sensitive controls, not to mention the two weapon crap.

Both are classics for me, but I remember playing Goldeneye much more as a kid with my friends and pissing them off by getting up back in the vents in Facility and throwing proximity mines in the toliets, oh the good oh days of split screen multiplayer.
    Last edited by alec006; 12-06-2012 at 04:02 PM.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I fully understand the superiority and advantages of the mouse/keyboard pairing for FPS. (I am a big fan of Enemy Territory, pretty much the only game I play on the computer anymore.)

Despite this the N64 controller is my all-time favorite controller for FPS. I don't even like FPS really on any other console. I made an exception for XIII which I played on Gamecube. It was a little troublesome to use a GC controller for FPS but I managed and the game is pretty good, actually. The difficulty playing FPS on N64 has never been about the controller. (At least for me personally.)

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    Aint that the truth, I was just playing the first Area 51 level on normal and got my ass handed to me by those damn automatic guns, and then it's like the AI knows exactly where to shoot, like right in the head. Don't even get me started on that Area 51 level where your the Alien, that level is, just bullshit, and there's a cheat that I never earned because you have to do it in a certain amount of time on Perfect Agent.

I think a big reason Perfect Dark isn't played more than Goldeneye is the fact that to play the whole game you have to have the expansion pak. Granted you can still play the game, but as a kid you're like, hey where's all that cool stuff I seen on TV? And oh I have to convince my parents to buy me this $30 thing from my N64?
    You can pick off those guns without being detected by them. One of the biggest issues is the first large open space where the little "Base" section is and there's that guard post which defends the switch to open that huge gate. Those guards have insanely high accuracy which makes no sense. Also the back of the box explains to you what you can and can't play if you play without the Expansion Pak. Maybe in the past it was a valid point that it contributes to the price of the game but these days all this stuff is really cheap, so if you missed out because the accessory was expensive or whatever, well now's the time to get it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    it's like the AI knows exactly where to shoot, like right in the head.
    I don't remember what the last AI was. I knew the first one was Meat Bot and I think it went all the way to Dark Bot or Perfect Bot, not sure which the last one was. Anyways. We had three players one time so to do teams, one of us got the bot. We found out that no matter where on the map the bot is at, it's always locked onto the closest enemy's location. While it moved it was aimed in that direction.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Perfect Dark was a more complete game for sure. It was in my mind the precursor to Halo. My cousin and I played the co-op story mode, which was a ton of fun. The multiplayer was much more elaborate, with larger levels. That said, I still prefer Goldeneye mainly because of my affinity for the James Bond franchise. In addition, while the co-op was fun because we could both play it, a la Contra, the story itself was unbelievably dull and uninteresting. Like Halo!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neither one is all that great compared to most first-person shooters available on PC at the time.
    Golden Eye was a good console FPS at a time when there were no good console FPS's.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

8 Perfect bots. 1 laptop gun (with some other guns). Area 51. Oooooooohh, yeeeeeaaaah.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The game also has its own single player storyline as well. I remember it with being extremely limited without the expansion pack so maybe single player required the expansion pack as well.
    Maybe that's it, I've tried playing it for at least 20 minutes at a time and could never get past that tutorial section. If the problem is with the lack of an expansion pack it should have been made to require it, not making it optional. Of course I never seem to have a copy of this game at the same time as a system with an expansion pack to find out if that's the problem, I tend to sell them soon after finding them as I'm not big on the system.