With the VGAs airing last night, it certainly feels like that time of year, the time in which we reflect back on the year in video games and dole out honors for the best the industry had to offer. While we'll certainly have our own Game of the Year discussions in the coming weeks, it's nice to think about the purpose such awards have in the community.

I'd argue that it's not only a wonderful opportunity to reward developers for their efforts in delivering players their expressive work, but it's also a chance for players to participate in a conversation about what matters most to them in video games. When the VGA for Game of the Year went to Telltale for The Walking Dead episodic series last night, one might argue that it said plenty about the importance of narrative-driven games. One might also say that it indicates the waning importance of the best game of the year's presence on retail shelves instead of hard drives (even if that will change in a matter of days).

To me, these are the sorts of dialogues that should be opened up as we debate our end-of-the-year lists. As you mull over your personal GOTY consideration, I encourage you to take a look back at last week's webcomics, then vote for your favorite after the break!

Nintendo + Internet = Facefist (Dave the Direman)
Guardian Units of Nations (Drawing Nothing)
Evil Meetup (Legacy Control)
Assassin's Creed 3 (Another Video Game Webcomic)
The Most Dangerous Gamer (Dorkly)
Helmet Hair (Ready Soup)
Inverse Traditionality (Penny Arcade)
In retrospect (Extra Life)Continue reading Weekly Webcomic Wrapup is rewarding
Weekly Webcomic Wrapup is rewarding originally appeared on Joystiq on Sat, 08 Dec 2012 23:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments