Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top imports - Mega Drive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Slap Fight is around, but not that often. It's very expensive, but from what I've played of it, it's not all that (at least to me).

Panorama Cotton is nice -- it's better than the DC version that's for sure A definite MD gem IMHO.

New Zealand story I'm not so big on, but there are some other great games for the system. Unfortunately, there are lots of duds.

As for the emulators... playing on the Xbox isn't so bad. I play almost NO MD games on my Xbox, but I rip my SCDs to MP3 and put my Turbo Duo in the closet. Saves me space, and I don't have to dig out the CD everytime I want to play it.

I know what you mean though... I like playing the originals too, but I live in a damn shoe box.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another good Genesis import is Codemaster's Psycho Pinball. It's not a Japanese import though, it's a European one. It's probably the best pinball game on the Genesis. Shame there wasn't a US release.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    I've been looking EVERYWHERE for Slap Fight though! It's one of the few import shooters I REALLY want that I can't find! I refuse to play the emulators either.
    www.videogameimports.com has it in stock. It is 126 pounds though. That is like $190!!! VGI always has everything.

It is Tengen though. Is there a European version?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Monday
    There's sooo many Japanese only MD games that are great:-

Slap Fight (arcade plus new version with better grfx)
    Pengo (ditto)
    Panorama Cotton (Say no more)
    Yu Yu Hashuko (Treasure's 4 player beat 'em up)
    New Zealand Story
    Phantasy Star (yes, number one).
    Is Phantasy Star any good? I see it all the time on Yahoo Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the exact same as the Japanese SMS version, which is like the ENglish version, but with 100x better sound (FM).
    It's worth getting if you're a fan of the series. The PS2 remake comes out at the end of the month!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Augh I'm praying they translate that Stateside! I saw some clips of the new PS2 PS and it looks AMAZING!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Saturn Sensei
    I've been looking EVERYWHERE for Slap Fight though! It's one of the few import shooters I REALLY want that I can't find! I refuse to play the emulators either.
    www.videogameimports.com has it in stock. It is 126 pounds though. That is like $190!!! VGI always has everything.

It is Tengen though. Is there a European version?
    Nope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WiseSalesman
    Alien Soldier - Fantastic run-n-gun from Treasure with some of the best graphics I've ever seen on the MD. The bosses are downright huge - and if you like boss fights, there's a lot of them in this.
    Geez....talk about expensive. That's one of the most expensive megadrive imports I've ever seen (at one point, I was trying to purchase every game developed by treasure). It's also damn hard. I have yet to get past level 2 (i'm playing the emulated version).
    The Euro version is substantially cheaper than the Japanese game, though still expensive. Expect to pay around £40-£60 ($60-$90)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think Sega is planning to bring any of the 3D Ages games to the states... especially considering they're not selling so hot, despite the killer price tag. As Geelw stated, maybe someone else will license them.

I did beat Phantasy Star last night. It was nice, but I'd personally have rather paid for a full game, and had some cut scene animations and whatnot.

All in all, it's worth every freaking yen of 2500 yen. Can't wait for the next two!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Wow, all these replies, and no one mentioned my favorite Mega Drive "exclusive" (non-Genny title): Rockman Mega World! Since there were no Mega Man games on the Genesis, you need this one. It's the equivalent of Super Mario All-Stars on SNES, containing the first three NES games "updated" somewhat for the 16-bit console. Very solid. The game was available in somewhat buggy form on the Sega Channel, and you can also find this on the UK Mega Drive as "Mega Man: The Wily Wars".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    you can also find this on the UK Mega Drive as "Mega Man: The Wily Wars".
    Which is again, one of the rarest PAL titles. Expect to part with at least £40 ($60), usually substantially more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Wow, all these replies, and no one mentioned my favorite Mega Drive "exclusive" (non-Genny title): Rockman Mega World! Since there were no Mega Man games on the Genesis, you need this one. It's the equivalent of Super Mario All-Stars on SNES, containing the first three NES games "updated" somewhat for the 16-bit console. Very solid. The game was available in somewhat buggy form on the Sega Channel, and you can also find this on the UK Mega Drive as "Mega Man: The Wily Wars".
    I have the UK one myself...can't believe I forgot to mention it! Doh! The only problems with it are the following:

1. Mega Man has a TINY lag when you first start to move him. If you hesitate a lot in it, you're screwed

2. The elecbeam trick doesn't work in Mega Man 1, and it's VERY VERY VERY hard to beat the Rock Monster or evil Mega Man. I'm stuck on evil Mega Man myself.

Good points:

MM: Wily Wars has an internal save battery with multiple save slots, an extra exclusive level set in NO other Mega Man game or collection), upgraded music and graphics. I paid $100 US for my mint complete UK copy, and I have a convertor that plays it

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I'd like to get that one myself.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Am I the only one who likes Wonder Boy 6 Monster World 4 (the one with the girl) and Pulseman?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaggarCodyGuy123
    Am I the only one who likes Wonder Boy 6 Monster World 4 (the one with the girl) and Pulseman?
    Heh. I can't AFFORD Wonderboy in Monsterworld IV! Damn game goes for a good $80ish every time I've looked for it. I've been wanting to play it, but I always figured that the Wonderboy games are semi-text intensive, and that WBMWIV would be a hassle to play in Japanese. Am I wrong?

As for Pulseman...not familiar with it. I've seen it, but that's it.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaggarCodyGuy123
    Heh. I can't AFFORD Wonderboy in Monsterworld IV! Damn game goes for a good $80ish every time I've looked for it. I've been wanting to play it, but I always figured that the Wonderboy games are semi-text intensive, and that WBMWIV would be a hassle to play in Japanese. Am I wrong?

As for Pulseman...not familiar with it. I've seen it, but that's it.
    Never tried but there is a fan translation for it.

As in a *gasp* ROM? Or a faq like the ones good ol Kabuki did for the Far East of Eden games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pulseman is a decent platformer that's half Mega Man and half Sonic. Seriously. I can't figure out why Sega didn't bring it over here under the title of "Sonic the Hedgehog 2199" or something.

Monster World IV is probably my favorite of the whole Wonder Boy/Monster World kingdom. It's kind of slow at the start, but it's quite fun, and it has a certain charm to it that its predecessors possessed only in small amounts.

And yes, it has some RPG-like elements that require reading. You can't enter the first tower until you have a certain crystal, and you can't get the crystal until you explore the tunnels under your home village, and you don't even know about the crystal until you talk to the villagers. It's that sort of thing.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm, I must've missed this topic. Couple somewhat random game titles to throw out, here:

Rent a Hero (Sega, 1994 I believe)
    Contra the Hard Corps and Comix Zone (Contra's mostly the same as the US version besides the three hits, and I believe Comix Zone is exactly the same but I'd like to get a copy anyway)
    Panorama Cotton is nice, but not as easy to look at or play as Space Harrier.

I just found out that I haven't listed Gunstar Heroes on my collection page all this time... :O

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of playing very many MD imports yet, but of the few that I have played, Fire Mustang is by far the best. It's a sidescrolling WWII shooter in which you pilot an American P-51 Mustang against alternating waves of German and Japanese forces. God only knows why this game never made it to the US, unless it's supposed to be some sort of revenge for Hiroshima & Nagasaki or something. We can't have too many Americans playing games where they get to blow up the Japanese, you know. Anyhow, it's one of the best 16BIT shooters ever made, IMO.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of playing very many MD imports yet, but of the few that I have played, Fire Mustang is by far the best. It's a sidescrolling WWII shooter in which you pilot an American P-51 Mustang against alternating waves of German and Japanese forces. God only knows why this game never made it to the US, unless it's supposed to be some sort of revenge for Hiroshima & Nagasaki or something. We can't have too many Americans playing games where they get to blow up the Japanese, you know. Anyhow, it's one of the best 16BIT shooters ever made, IMO.
    I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the game you described was released for the Genesis under the name of Fire Shark.