Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the most expensive fighting games

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Hmm, everyone always forgets "The Eye of Typhoon" for the 3DO. last time it was up on evilbay, it hit over $1,200.00! I always wondered if there was a prototype MVS cart out there that might be worth more? Either way, it's damn expensive and it's a 3DO game. Crazy man, crazy!
    While that's true, I suspect over time that is one game that will rapidly drop in value. The big issue right now is there just aren't many Korean game collectors or resellers that use Ebay or other easily accessible resale sites. It was a regular release game, so it's definitely out there in some quantity, it's just a matter of getting that quantity to the United States and elsewhere.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is Garou: Mark of the Wolves import box set worth the $200 I see it being sold for?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    Is Garou: Mark of the Wolves import box set worth the $200 I see it being sold for?
    I really like the graphics, Ive played it, its tough so youll probably get a lot of game play into it before you beat it maybe. But honestly Id never spend $200 on a single game. What does the box set come with? Is it for the Dreamcast?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Dreamcast port is pretty sloppy. The voices are several seconds behind the action, the arranged BGM isn't an improvement, and there's no additional content whatsoever.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    To me it isn't. Especially since it looks like the regular version goes for about 30 bucks on ebay.

Garou is a good game, but it's not worth $200. For that kind of money you can buy a lot fighting game and arcade related stuff. You could buy an entire working MVS cabinet for that kind of money.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The box set comes with a red neo geo arcade stick. I think that's why its $200

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    The CPS Changer games go for between $600-1000 when they come up.

I've never even seen what the boxes look like.
    Some pics of my boxes and other info here:

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.c...tm#page=models
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The box set comes with a red neo geo arcade stick. I think that's why its $200

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The Dreamcast port is pretty sloppy. The voices are several seconds behind the action, the arranged BGM isn't an improvement, and there's no additional content whatsoever.
    Agreed. If you want to play Garou, play the 360 port. Just don't try to do it online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    While that's true, I suspect over time that is one game that will rapidly drop in value. The big issue right now is there just aren't many Korean game collectors or resellers that use Ebay or other easily accessible resale sites. It was a regular release game, so it's definitely out there in some quantity, it's just a matter of getting that quantity to the United States and elsewhere.
    Huh? I thought that this thread was about "The Most Expensive Fighting Games" and not "The Most Expensive Fighting Games that will go up in price". AND, not trying to be rude, but five years ago, on the slight chance that Eye of Typhoon did pop up, it was a $100.00 purchase. Seeing it hit $1,000.00 plus in less than five years tells me that even if it does go down in price, it's not ever going to be a $50.00 game ever again. Also, on the same point, just because it's Korean and you say there is no Korean game sellers on ebay, there are several people in the 3DO community, however small it may be, that have contacts in Korea, and Eye of Typhoon, like the other Korean released 3DO games, is nearly impossible to find, period. Goldstar made very few of them, so it is a rare game with nowhere near enough copies to saturate North America because if there were, it would be listed on ebay more than it has been. The game, this year, hit ebay I believe only ONCE and not at all during 2011. It ism a rare game, and it is expensive.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    Huh? I thought that this thread was about "The Most Expensive Fighting Games" and not "The Most Expensive Fighting Games that will go up in price". AND, not trying to be rude, but five years ago, on the slight chance that Eye of Typhoon did pop up, it was a $100.00 purchase. Seeing it hit $1,000.00 plus in less than five years tells me that even if it does go down in price, it's not ever going to be a $50.00 game ever again. Also, on the same point, just because it's Korean and you say there is no Korean game sellers on ebay, there are several people in the 3DO community, however small it may be, that have contacts in Korea, and Eye of Typhoon, like the other Korean released 3DO games, is nearly impossible to find, period. Goldstar made very few of them, so it is a rare game with nowhere near enough copies to saturate North America because if there were, it would be listed on ebay more than it has been. The game, this year, hit ebay I believe only ONCE and not at all during 2011. It ism a rare game, and it is expensive.
    You're correct, but if we're talking about the most expensive fighting games, I don't think there's anything wrong with making predictions. As for your other points, all I can say is that people said the same thing about classic era Japanese stuff up until the late 90s when Yahoo.JP auctions really got going and marshalling services allowed non-Japanese residents to easily purchase previously "rare" games and consoles. It took a further 5-7 years until a number of Japanese and American resellers started really pumping rare stuff out of Japan and onto Ebay. Nowadays, even very rare Japanese items can be found on Ebay regularly.

The same thing will happen with Korean stuff and all you are seeing is the tip of the iceberg here as only one or two collectors are starting to sell 3do stuff from Korea. Goldstar is a huge company and while the 3do was a niche console, you can bet that given that it's a CD-Rom and not a cartridge or other expensive format, they likely pressed a lot of copies, at least well beyond the number of 3do collectors out there. If it was a prototype or test pressing, I could see the $1K+ price tag, but any retail game no matter how small the niche console or market released by a major company is going to get thousands of copies pressed on disc media. It's just a matter of waiting until the supply is unleashed and trust me, it will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It's just a matter of waiting until the supply is unleashed and trust me, it will be.
    But then, if there's a pallet of them sitting in a warehouse somewhere, whoever takes ownership of it would be wise to control the supply very, very carefully and not let the price drop, right?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    But then, if there's a pallet of them sitting in a warehouse somewhere, whoever takes ownership of it would be wise to control the supply very, very carefully and not let the price drop, right?
    Not every collector is greedy or able to tightly control the supply of something. Look at what happened with all that Venezuelan stock that keeps flooding in making even the formerly rare red box Atari 2600 stuff dirt common. The point is, it's naive to assume that just because only a couple of copies of something have popped up so far that there aren't many, many more out there that will enter the market, especially when more and more Korean collectors start trading internationally.