Thread: What was your top title that you played in 2012?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Default What was your top title that you played in 2012?

So this can be any game from any generation. Release dates don't matter. What was your "game of the year" that you played from start to finish (or at lease played for hours on end) and why? I'll start.

For me, it's really hard to choose between Bastion, Torchlight, or Skyrim, but I'm going to have to go with Bastion. My buddy bought this for me awhile back and it's been sitting in my steam backlog for months. I eventually just played it, and everything about it was perfect. Couldn't ask for anything more. It's really hard to come by games that have just the right length, and just the right feel to them to make them not generic and outdated; Bastion had that perfect balance.

Bastion is also an inspiration for a personal choice of jumping into the indie development scene. That point and all the things that Bastion does right makes it my top game played in 2012.

Your turn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Bastion last year (I think?) but yes it was a very solid game. Nice pick.

For me, I'd probably have to go with Red Dead Redemption. I got to it late when it was around $15-$20 used and man it was a hell of a game. I like GTA games but typically play them for a week and lose interest. RDR was waaaaay better and loads of fun, kept me addicted for nearly a month. So much to do, great plot, lots of sidequests, long story, varied missions and one hell of an untraditional ending that most producers would shy away from. Not going to spoil it for others, but it was a true masterpiece of a game.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

The Walking Dead.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Either Metro 2033 for the PC or Gravity Rush for the Vita (yes, Gravity Rush really is that good.)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I'm going to go with Uncharted 3. I was grinning ear to ear playing through parts of that. Just plain tons of fun. Never felt so much like I was 'playing' a great action adventure Movie. I think the last game that I had such a great time with was Portal 2. That said, it is probably a once through and done game. But I hardly ever play a game more than once through anymore. Infamous being an exception from this year that I also really enjoyed. I'm playing Torchlight right now and it is good, but I think I may be over the loot-fest addiction of my past (Diablo I & II). Recently played Borderlands which is also loot oriented and while I enjoy comparing and upgrading gear, I no longer have the drive to have to find something better and play through another time on the hardest difficulty.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default 360

Skyrim..I play more of it almost every night..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Top title that I played in 2012? Probably Minecraft. If we're going for games released in 2012 though, I'd probably say Journey. I've only played it once- and didn't even get a single trophy during my playthrough- but it remains probably the most magical experience I've ever had whilst playing a game.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If the online to Twisted Metal wasn't so bad, I would say it was the best. This is such an amazing game and I'd say that it's the best in the series. People might say the campaign sucks, because for the most part it does. However you can choose challenge mode, choose any stage you want, however many cars you want, the difficulty, etc. Doing that you can play through every stage like it's a regular Twisted Metal. No stupid races you're forced to go through with each character on multiple occasions. Offline multiplayer can be up to four player and you're given far more options to change the experience than you are in single player.

So a game I've beaten this year but haven't played a year prior would be Infamous 2. The first one wasn't too great. Not terrible, but could have been a lot better. The best part about the game was the story before the last boss, the last boss, and the ending. Infamous 2 while it's got the same basic gameplay it's just more fun to play. Cole moves much faster, you've got melee that isn't worthless, you can move around from area to area much more easier than you could on the original. Every problem on the original they've basically fixed. It's still got its flaws, but it's a much better game. One feature I really liked about this game after completing it was the mission creation system where people could create missions that weren't found in the game. I attempted it and to me it was confusing and seemed way too time consuming to create a decent level, just like Little Big Planet, and while level creation varied from some being no so great, to a lot of very good levels, it's a feature that I can still enjoy since other people are taking advantage of it and adding more value to the game for those of us who aren't so great using the tool.

So out of everything I've first played this year, I'd say Infamous 2 is the best.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chrono Trigger.

I made a thread about beating it the other day, no one replied to it. So I dont need to go into deatils except link to what I wrote in there. http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...Chrono-Trigger

Also loved loved loved Final Fantasy 7 and Symphony of The Night. They didnt have the emotional connection like Trigger, but FF 7 was so amazing. Youd have to be an extreme materialist or republican to not like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Halo 4... can't believe I just typed that. No really, it rocks.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Mario RPG - When I originally played this in the late nineties, I was "curious" about RPGs but not sold on them yet, so I never bought this gem. Playing it now, years later - after I became engrossed in the genre, this game is a fun, light-hearted, and easy-going romp with great graphics, sound, and humor.

Phantasy Star IV - Ditto above except I never played it in its day, and it's not a comedy. Wonderful balance (it's never a push-over nor does it demand hours of grinding), amazing soundtrack, tons of interesting characters and FAST-PACED.

The Legend of Zelda - I hadn't touched this game in a decade (or two), but started a new game and played straight through. Somehow I'd forgotten just how much fun it was.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Halo 4... can't believe I just typed that. No really, it rocks.
    I agree, excellent game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually have played Halo Reach more than any other game this year. I beat it when it came out but I've been deep into the online multiplayer for the past two years....until Halo 4 came out last month. Now I play that more than anything else. I haven't even played MW3 lately.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fallout 3. Yeah, I know that game is from like 2008 or something.

I'm still playing it. I played about halfway thru the game on Xbox 360 a couple of years ago, but when I built a gaming PC I started playing modded versions of Fallout 3, and I'm hopelessly hooked.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Half Life 2 Episode 2 (god that ending gives me the shivers every time i think about it). I mean I kinda played that one at a ackward time. I beat half life 2 years ago back when it came out on the pc. and then i almost beat episode 1. But got stuck with the strider sequence at the end(which after I found out how to beat it. makes me wonder what i got wrong originally oh well). And the graphics card on my old pc shit the bed around that time so I never got Ep 2. But I did this year after redownloading orange box pack on steam (since their restrictions on their games sucks and I couldn't just use the existing copies I bought). I played Portal 1 and 2 before this. And made me question on where Aperture science plays into Portal. And then you find the video of the Borealis ship towards the end of Ep 2 and doctor kliner tells you about it and it suddenly ties everything together and it almost gives you a chill like after you hear a ghost story and then something happens to follow suit or something like that. Weird! But I like it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Mass Effect on the 360. Loved it and plan on playing it again sometime to get through all the missions.
    Red Dead Redemption on PS3 as well.

Yeah, they're old titles but I'm a little behind in my games.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    Half Life 2 Episode 2 (god that ending gives me the shivers every time i think about it). I mean I kinda played that one at a ackward time. I beat half life 2 years ago back when it came out on the pc. and then i almost beat episode 1. But got stuck with the strider sequence at the end(which after I found out how to beat it. makes me wonder what i got wrong originally oh well). And the graphics card on my old pc shit the bed around that time so I never got Ep 2. But I did this year after redownloading orange box pack on steam (since their restrictions on their games sucks and I couldn't just use the existing copies I bought). I played Portal 1 and 2 before this. And made me question on where Aperture science plays into Portal. And then you find the video of the Borealis ship towards the end of Ep 2 and doctor kliner tells you about it and it suddenly ties everything together and it almost gives you a chill like after you hear a ghost story and then something happens to follow suit or something like that. Weird! But I like it!
    I played and finished Portal 2 this year, too. There were so many times that I was playing that where I would say out loud "man, how do you write stuff like that?" I would say it's a perfect game. Solid gameplay, great story, amazing dialog, well rounded characters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    Skyrim..I play more of it almost every night..
    This!

I've put in over 240 hours with Skyrim. Damn you Daedric Artifacts!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria. See, I was always in a huge hurry to get leveled and do the dungeons and raids, then be bored the rest of the year. This year I took the key phrase from many NPC's "SLOW DOWN." I have been reading the quests and story lines. I have yet to hit level 90 and I am in no hurry to do so. I am just relaxing and playing the game at the pace it was meant to be played.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thumbs up

PC: Team Fortress 2 - Valve keeps adding new items and levels to the game, and now TF2 runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows!

Wii: Kirby's Dream Collection Special Edition - Not only does this have six classic Kirby games, plus a pretty comprehensive Kirby museum, plus episodes of the Kirby cartoon to watch, and all new challenge stages made just for this compilation, you can play all this with just a Wii remote with no silly controller attachments required. But if you do want to use a different setup, it supports the GameCube controller onward. And the Kirby series' soundtrack highlights CD and the interviews + art book are really nice.

Saturn: Hanagumi Taisen Columns - Columns meets Sakura Wars with all the fun and a wide variety of game modes. Whether you are a Columns fan or a Sakura Wars fan, this will appeal to you. And if you like both, it is a cosmic smash of two grand series in one game. While being able to understand Japanese is beneficial, this game can be played with no knowledge of the language at all. Game modes include versus computer, versus player, Cinderella adventure mode, about town adventure mode, challenge stages, and single-player columns. There are many unlockables obtainable throughout the various modes. My favorite portion is the challenge mode where specific goals must be met... usually with a time limit! And each goal accomplished unlocks the next more challenging mission!

DS: Professor Layton and the Last Specter - The most refined of the standard Layton games before the 3DS revised the series with the fifth entry. While I have yet to complete the game, by my estimates it should take 30 hours to conclude. And that's just for the main story portion of the game: there are many optional puzzles, downloadable puzzles, and a fetch-quest RPG if you'd like.