Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: If The School Shooting Today Is Blamed or Linked To FPS Games.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    All of these shootings in the U.S. have got nothing to do with video games, TV, or movies in my opinion. It's the ridiculous gun laws in the U.S. and everyone thinking they need a gun to protect themselves and their families that are the main reason for America's gun violence. Every other industrialized nation in the world plays and watches the same games, shows, and movies as the U.S. and gun violence in those countries is nowhere near that of the U.S. Only in America can you walk into a sporting goods store and walk out with an assault rifle and a pair of running shoes.
    Worth repeating to emphasize its truthiness.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Adam Sessler is a moron. Here he was making good arguments and sounding way more intelligent than I had previously given him credit for, and then he has to ruin it by saying "don't call them games because they're not for kids, they're for adults". The way he said it, it sounded very much like he was making a broad generalization. I have two major problems with this:

1. It ignores the fact that quite a few games are made for children and/or a general audience every year and seems to imply that he thinks gaming should only be for adult males and no one else. The problem with this line of thinking should be painfully obvious to anyone with a brain.

2. Like it or not, Adam Sessler is a big name gaming journalist and when he makes statements like "games aren't for kids, they're for adults", it is extremely counter-productive and does massive damage to our efforts to convince people who don't know any better that video games are not "OMG EVIL!!!!!!!". I guarantee you that even if that's the only clip they run of that interview, Feaux News WILL rerun that statement ad-nauseum as long as it suits their purposes. He just gave proponents of censorship a GIANT piece of ammunition. Thanks a lot, Sessler. Jerk.
    If you actually paid attention to the words coming out of Sessler's mouth, he said (I'm paraphrasing) games have a rating system and parents need to take it seriously. M-rated games like Grand Theft Auto or Call of Duty are for adults. Parents wouldn't let their children go see R-rated movies; likewise, they shouldn't let them play M-rated games.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

To blame inantimate objects for the actions of a nut is ridiculous in its entirety. Guns, game, or heavy metal. Any and all of these things are enjoyed by far more reasonable and level headed folks than they are just exclusive to mass murders and or crazy people. I should know as I enjoy all of them and I have no desire nor do I see an future desire to massacre anyone just because of my hobbies. Scapegoats all of them and ways to avoid the real problem at hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Games don't physically kill people, at least.
    You either get rid of the guns(probably impossible), get rid of the crazies(probably impossible), or accept the fact that bad shit happens on planet earth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Stupid and angry people kill people.

They just happen to be able to afford guns and bullets.

How about we just take all the money away from people who are angry or can't pass an intelligence test?

We can put the really stupid people into camps and teach them things. And if they can't pass tests, we'll just put them to work building roads and stuff.

UTOPIA.

Sheeple.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    We can put the really stupid people into camps and teach them things.
    We could teach them how to concentrate, maybe even have entire camps just for that!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Time to open this can of worms right back up again.....

In the news supposedly they found out that the gun man responsible for this was a hardcore gamer and would constantly play "violent video games" in a dark room for long periods of time and supposedly people are crying out saying this is the problem!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I check the news several times a day and I haven't seen anything about this. There was some nonsense on CNN about him taking inspiration from Breivik, but that's about it.
    I blame soda and pillow cases.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I check the news several times a day and I haven't seen anything about this. There was some nonsense on CNN about him taking inspiration from Breivik, but that's about it.
    I blame soda and pillow cases.
    Oh, it was there. I saw it on CNN tonight, and on several other news sources earlier. They mentioned him having hundreds of violent video games and/or thousands of dollars worth of those games, and there was speculation that he may have been inspired to recreate a scenario he saw in a video game when he was doing the shooting. They also mentioned him using blackout curtains in his bedroom and his basement game lair. The thing that pleases me is that despite these implications, many experts try to stress that playing these games is fine for most people, just that there are certain individuals for whom they might be triggers. And I'm okay with that, because the same could be said about anything. By that same logic, the articles he was supposedly compiling on other mass killers (specifically Breivik) would be a trigger for him as well.

There's conflicting information out there also that they may have been able to get some information from one of the computers, despite damage to the hard drive, and that they were in the process of subpoenaing the computers (yes, the entire computers) of people he may have been in contact with in the gaming world. That one was in a Greenwich paper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    We could teach them how to concentrate, maybe even have entire camps just for that!
    One of the funniest things I've ever read.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

necro bump, but i think the trifect of things they blame school shootings on are video games, autism and heavy metal.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

why?5