Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Super NES or Sega Genesis?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    As I said, I don't mind that anyone has a preference for the SNES, I just wish there were more Steven's about it, and less of what is generally seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Also, I agree. Steven is awesome. I love RVGfanatic. Great stories!
    Thank you, guys. I feel like bowing a couple times and saying "domo arigato" with each bow, haha

Yeah, I never got the whole "I'm gonna trash a system so I can point out how awesome this other system is" sort of talk. It's unnecessary as the whole hobby is extremely subjective. If for example you get your rocks off on the Virtual Boy, by all means, keep on keeping on. I think every system offers something unique, and there's no need to get all defensive when it comes to this stuff. You like what you like, but it's nice when you have a little class about it, too, and can accept other POVs that don't necessarily align 100% with yours.
    Last edited by Steven; 10-19-2014 at 11:21 AM.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Yeah, I'm good with respectful disagreement, and I'm glad we can discuss topics like this here without it degenerating to insults.

As far as design affecting relevance, yes, I do think it does. That's not to say it makes a game irrelevant due to outdated appearances. Streets of Rage has badly outdated character designs, and I love it. What I believe it does affect, though, is a game's accessibility to younger audiences. In an age where a huge chunk of young people barely distinguish between playing a game and watching a let's play video, games turn into memes and don't always get the credit they deserve. Sega has taken a lot of flip-flopping from journalists about design of characters like Skate or Fighting Vipers characters long after the fact even though they were well received at the time.

What I was trying to get across is that by using consistent design based more on fantasy than modern trends, many of Nintendo properties have one more thing going for them when retroactively attracting new players. Internet memes and bad journalism have caused games like the CD-i Zeldas to be looked at as abominations when they are in fact quite playable and even fun. Skate from Streets of Rage jumps out at me because I've seen him cited as a major criticism in modern retro reviews, when at the time it wasn't really a topic of conversation. I'm not saying Nintendo's designs are better as much ad I'm saying they're easily digested.

I wasn't even really thinking about emulation. I've never done it, but I guess to younger players who aren't collecters that would add yet another wrinkle. It's those younger players that really turn the online discussion on its ear, as they begin adding their opinions to all sides with a completely different perspective. Most of us who lived through this time are set in our ways, but hopefully have learned to appreciate everything that's out there. I know that for me, opening up my mind to new condoles after being a Nintendo die hard as a kid allowed people to teach me about awesome stuff I hadn't heard about. I bought in on the Genesis eventually and learned to respect it, and that's one of the things that led me to importing and exploring other systems' libraries as well.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 10-19-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    I like the Genesis better, regardless of who agrees, but you're not going to see discussion of lesser known titles for any of them in this particular thread. All a thread like this does is reignite the old argument.

Now, I personally am not against anyone preferring the SNES, or TurboGrafx, or whatever. It's when fanboys try to make it sound like the SNES is unquestionably, objectively, the best, that I get irritated. Mainly because there is no objectivity to be had.

Specs come in because the SNES fanboy makes sweeping generalizations that the SNES is better. That makes the Genesis fanboy actually do some research in retaliation, because the SNES fanboy is just stating something, without knowing what the consoles actually are capable of.

Then there's the software libraries. The SNES' is supposedly better because Nintendo and their 3rd parties franchised more than Sega and theirs did? That's the only way anyone can rationalize that thought, unless they still choose to remain completely ignorant of what the Genesis actually has for games, while still commenting on threads like this. People have complained about a lack of innovation in the industry, and yet years later turn it around that the one company that did almost nothing but innovate is supposed to be inferior to the company that still milks the same cows to this day(yeah Sega still milks Sonic, but at least it's the 1 series). Then the same people 180 again over Madden and Call of Duty, like those are doing anything different from Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

I shouldn't care that the nerdiest invention going cares more for the console that has the most games based off the concepts started by Dungeons and Dragons, but I end up doing so, because they can't voice their opinions without trying to make the other side sound beneath them. That makes me turn toward the fanboy side, because of the kind of people that have been making ignorant sweeping comments all over forums like this, as well as the average Youtuber, against Sega, all in the name of making Nintendo come off looking better, just because that's what they had 20 years ago.

I share the same sentiments that you do, that anyone with a true passion for this hobby should be able to enjoy it all, and yet I still see people say they won't ever pick up console/handheld x, or one made by company z, to this day.

Btw, if you want to talk about relevance, what has the SNES exactly done to shape the industry moving forward?

With the Genesis, Sega:
    -Opened up the competitive market.
    -Created a rating system that eventually became the ESRB.
    -Got most of the European market to look at home consoles in place of microcomputers for gaming.
    -Had the first online services that actually allowed people to download and play games.
    -Brought western development back to home consoles in a much grander capacity than the NES.

Probably more I can't think of off the top of my head, but I don't think a home console gets much, if any, more relevant than what I already listed.
    Dang! This is such a good post if we were all sitting around at a bar I'd be buying you beer all night. As a guy who has always preferred the Genesis I have to say EVERY one of your points here is 100% my experience when dealing with SNES fanboys. You nailed it man!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Can we debate Genesis fanboys too getting riled up over that systems perceived shortcomings? Throwing around fanboy in this thread kind of can harm credibility since that console war died nearly 20 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I wish Genesis fans could be like TurboGrafx fans and chill out.