Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Super NES or Sega Genesis?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Space Dungeon and recently released Tempest are not available on 7800. Pac Man never came out on the 7800.
    Ah, right, I was thinking of Ms. Pac-Man. My concern though isn't whether there are two games on the 5200 not on the 7800, but rather whether it's worth it overall. I would need more than a small handful of games to take the plunge on a new system, as crowded as my TV stand already is (and with several systems packed away ).

Space Dungeon does look pretty rad, though!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved them both but I was a SNES guy through and through and stayed fairly loyal to Nintendo up until I bought an Xbox in 2003 after being dissatisfied with my GameCube. I still play my Genesis games from time to time but my heart was solidly with the SNES and my memories with the SNES will always stay with me, though I do have some fond memories of the Genesis as well.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I had both as a kid and still do, but for me its the Genesis. Reason for me is, while I love Nintendo, then and till this day the Genesis has more for me to play that I like over the SNES.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boy, this has been done a gazillion times.

Anyway, I think we can all agree with SNES, from a modern view, had much more lasting power and influence overall and far more memorable games.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post

Anyway, I think we can all agree with SNES, from a modern view, had much more lasting power and influence overall and far more memorable games.
    I think you really best not speak for everyone.

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super NES or Sega Genesis?

Both!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Bloodreign75

To me the 16 bit wars are long over, now I reap the benefits of the fallout from it. I don't favor one system over another, so I say I like both. I do have a few more Genesis games than SNES (both over 120 games), both offer things I like, shmups, puzzlers, platformers and the like.

I was an SNES guy in my childhood days and never gave Genesis a chance till finally in 1998, after that I started appreciating what that system had for me. Both have their pros and cons, both have a solid library of great games, so in the end no clear cut choice for me.

Both are proudly in my collection, no sway either way.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

From a collecting standpoint, I'm an absolute fanatic for the Genesis. For example: Those flimsy SNES cardboard boxes have NOTHING on the much nicer plastic clamshells that hold the carts and manuals perfectly while looking oh-so-regal lined up on my shelves! And add-ons, oh man... no other system can boast the sheer amount of peripherals the Genny had, from the Power Base Converter to the Sega CD to the 32X. And then there's the cool alternate versions of the console including the amazing Nomad and CDX as well as the X-Eye and Sega pac for the Laseractive. The SNES just doesn't offer this wide range of collectibility. The Genesis is the only system I own from three different regions (NTSC, PAL and NTSC-J). Sure, I love my SNES and all the amazing games it has to offer (Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Contra 3 and countless others), but I take much more pride in my Sega collection.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post

This is truly the most accurate response, the overall majority would side with the SNES, especially since they did at the time too seeing as how Nintendo beat Sega in the 16-bit wars. Anyone who thinks otherwise is blinded by fanboy-ism or was simply a non-SNES owner.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    This is truly the most accurate response, the overall majority would side with the SNES, especially since they did at the time too seeing as how Nintendo beat Sega in the 16-bit wars. Anyone who thinks otherwise is blinded by fanboy-ism or was simply a non-SNES owner.
    This is all I see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

With a comment like that who's being the fanboy !? The sega and snes had there exclusive,but that doesn't mean one was better then the other.Both 'had there strength and weakness what matter was the software after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The NES was the first console I bought (although my family had an Atari before that) and the Sega Genesis was the next (and an amazing improvement in graphics versus the NES). I sold off and got out of gaming by the time the SNES was released, so I don't have much nostalgic memories of the SNES. I own both the SNES and Genesis now since they offer different catalogs of games. For games that were released on both consoles, I go on a case by case basis. I think they both have good rpgs and shooters, and there are several SNES sports games that I like, so they both have good sports games as well. I don't think one is supreme over the other though if forced to choose, I'd probably go with the SNES for Zelda, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World and other Nintendo staples.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're both very much worth owning.

But personally, I find it harder to be excited about SNES. This is a very broad generalization, but SNES games are generally slower-paced, and SNES music is generally mild and subdued (if not outright muffled). Not that I don't enjoy slow-paced games, but my bread and butter is fast action. I also have all complete Genesis games and all loose SNES games, because complete SNES games are a bitch to find and a bitch to pay for. While packaging doesn't make a game, I think that contributes on some level, especially the lack of a manual in some games.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    I ment that style of game, not the exact game
    Sunset Riders is kinda the same style and is available on both platforms, but it's a bit slower paced than Gunstar Heroes and is a port of an arcade game. Neo Geo AES had Metal Slug which is a bit closer in style to Gunstar Heroes than Sunset Riders is.

Ah speaking of 16-bit era, it would have kicked major ass to be rich and own a Neo Geo AES and many of its games in that time period instead of a Genesis. It pretty much catered to the same crowd as the TurboGrafx-16 and Genesis crowd - the arcade style gamers except graphically and audibly blew them away. It's missing Sonic and RPGs though. SNES had a uniqueness to it in the types of games that were most popular though. It's the reason why so many people go through save battery hell these days. You couldn't say the Neo Geo AES could replace that experience like it could the Genesis experience.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    With a comment like that who's being the fanboy !? The sega and snes had there exclusive,but that doesn't mean one was better then the other.Both 'had there strength and weakness what matter was the software after all.
    I wasn't talking about games, I was talking about cold hard facts and actual sales numbers. More people owned an SNES console than they did a Genesis and therefore would say the SNES was the better system, so obviously someone that didn't own a SNES but owned a Genesis would go that rout. It does appear that the overall conensus and the general gaming media favors the SNES, however.
    Twitter Follow me!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't talking about games, I was talking about cold hard facts and actual sales numbers. More people owned an SNES console than they did a Genesis and therefore would say the SNES was the better system, so obviously someone that didn't own a SNES but owned a Genesis would go that rout.
    That's not quite how it works...

Insert Coin (Level 0) 123►Genei-Jin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasn't talking about games, I was talking about cold hard facts and actual sales numbers. More people owned an SNES console than they did a Genesis and therefore would say the SNES was the better system, so obviously someone that didn't own a SNES but owned a Genesis would go that rout. It does appear that the overall conensus and the general gaming media favors the SNES, however.
    no, the only reason the SNES outsold the Genesis is because SEGA discontinued the Genesis 2 years before the SNES was discontinued, the 16-bit wars between those 2 consoles was pretty even before that.

Also, I owned an SNES back then and still prefer the Genesis. I hate J-RPGs (love western RPGs BTW), so that genre does nothing for me. I simply have more fun playing Genesis exclusives than I do with SNES exclusives in general.
    Both consoles are great and very different from each other, enjoy them for what they are and if you can't enjoy both I feel sorry for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never been that much of a fan of the games on the Genesis aside from the Sonic the Hedgehog games and a couple of others. The SNES has some of my favorite games of all time on it like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Secret of Mana, Super Castlevania IV, Mega Man X trilogy, Donkey Kong Country trilogy, Yoshi's Island, Turtles in Time, etc. To me, the Genesis library just can't compete with the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Nice to see this all civil and not a whiny fight like a duo of these posts over at NA in the last month.

Here's a spin on it though. If you're rating hardware SuperNES hands down, it came out second, had better parts to work with. The SNES had some incredible capabilities despite having a slower main processor which made up for a lot due to DMA capabilities of the hardware and the chip clock cycles allow more per each moment than the base speedier Genesis. SNES was that first system that allowed for over a VGA level of colors on screen as each layer(of which there's 4) could do 256 colors and from a full run of 32K of them, and could do transparencies, Mode7 scaling and rotation, plus a video mode did high res graphics(Secret of Mana menus), and high color pictures(see Indiana Jones using movie stills.) The sound on it was epic, all using sampled audio and could playback up to 33khz(nearly CD quality) and could run twice the audio channels of the Genesis.

That said if you were to throw software into the mix, that is where you can get fights as it comes down to preference. In my home I had the NES in 1985 for the Christmas test launch era and around 1990 my brother went and got a Genesis fed up with it(had a 2nd of his own.) I just didn't like it, couldn't get into it, and the ad campaigns wanted me to punch the tv with the lies they used to sell the thing. I got the SNES when it popped up and I could tell he didn't appreciate me not letting him use it from the complaining. He did love that system though, in time I did end up using it and liking it, but it did again come down to software preferences. I eventually got a Genesis 3(ugh) and a Nomad and had a blast with stuff but usually it was Sega arcade conversions like that fun Virtua Racing, some unique to system games like Vectorman or Streets of Rage, or multi-system franchises like Ghouls n Ghosts(preferred the SNES one though.) SNES though it gave me a nice run of sequelitis from all the stuff brought up yet again from the NES -- Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, FInal Fantasy 2(still my favorite), TMNT4, Gradius III(amazing conversion on arcade difficulty), and more. The more being great unique titles like Aleste(Space Megaforce), Actraiser(which blew my mind with the unique genre and ear candy music, my first purchase along with Gradius 3), the better Street Fighter II conversion, Starfox, the ahead of its time looking Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man X, Pilotwings, F-Zero and more.

These days with a little kid, job, and lack of time plus a bad run of it nearly a decade ago having to sell off a majority of my stuff, I no longer have other makers consoles other than a Master System from Sega. One thing I can say, it has allowed me to discover some bitchin SNES gems I missed out on like Wild Guns, Swat Kats, Super Valis IV, Sunset Riders, Pocky & Rocky, EVO, Lufia II, Final Fight 2 and 3(had 1), and the list goes on. IN the end the control, game play, familiar faces, and the insane audio/visual capabilities just took me to the next level while the Genesis felt lost somewhere in no mans land between my NES and the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

You got proof for the figures or it didn't happen.If any thing it was a close race between the two in the u.s at least.Not to mention sales were not every thing beside depending where you live at the time.Some i knew then just had a genesis or the snes or flipped flop with the two consoles.Since you mentions sales of a console that doesn't all ways means it's better.Heck before i had a snes&genesis i owned a turbografx 16 first,sure it was the underdog in the u.s but i highly enjoyed for what it offer.