Thread: Do you love it when you "rediscover" a game that you haven't thought about since you were young

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you love it when you "rediscover" a game that you haven't thought about since you were young

case in point. I've been only 'collecting' for about a year now so this feeling might not be there anymore for most of ya'll, but I totally just rediscovered Gun. Smoke for the NES, this is one game I absolutely loved back in the day and it has been filed away in the recesses of my mind until now. I completely forgot about this game until now. It's funny that a game you loved so much in your youth could all but be completely forgotten. Gun. Smoke just made it to the top of my must buy list.
    Last edited by Flam; 12-18-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was a kid my family rented an NES game for a single night. However, I was staying with my grandparents that night, so I only got to play it for about 5 minutes total right after I got home the next morning. The game was awesome, and spent years trying to remember the name of it in order to play it via emulation. I tried for so long without success that I began to think I had just dreamed about the game or made it up in my mind.

A couple of weeks ago I was picking NES games at random and happened upon Mystery Quest. It was the game! Finally discovering the game was a completely surreal experience. Hairs on the back of the neck, shivers down the spine kind of thing.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently rediscovered Klax for the NES while covering it for my podcast. I used to love that game, and forgot about it for well over a decade, as I got rid of it long ago. I got it again, and I now realize how much I enjoy that game still. It's definitely fun to rediscover something like that after such a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    case in point. I've been only 'collecting' for about a year now so this feeling might not be there anymore for most of ya'll, but I totally just rediscovered Gun. Smoke for the NES, this is one game I absolutely loved back in the day and it has been filed away in the recesses of my mind until now. I completely forgot about this game until now. It's funny that a game you loved so much in your youth could all but be completely forgotten. Gun. Smoke just made it to the top of my must buy list.
    Oh, absolutely. This to me is a large part of the joy that comes from this hobby. Any unearthing of a hidden gem, or lost gem from your youth is always a thrill. A game I loved back in 1995 but forgot about over the years was Looney Tunes B-Ball. Back in 2006 when I experienced my SNES resurrection, I remembered LTBB, picked it up, and had a blast with it. Definitely not only brought back some fond memories, but created new ones as well

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Oh, absolutely. This to me is a large part of the joy that comes from this hobby.
    Sadly though, I'd think these moments get fewer and far between as the years of collecting go by. This is still kind of new to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) brainerdrainer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I just got TMNT III for nes. Brings back so many memories!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We never sold any of my childhood games and I never stopped gaming so I guess I've never had the chance to rediscover anything! Just last weekend I was breaking out Bubble Bobble, RC Pro-AM, and Double Dragon II with the brother.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CatTehBus's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally forgot about Guardian's Crusade for PSX, but then I found an old memory card one day with a save from that game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    Sadly though, I'd think these moments get fewer and far between as the years of collecting go by. This is still kind of new to me.
    Yup, but I try not to focus on the end as much as I just try and enjoy the process. I mean, there are only so many games from one's youth that one has yet to play. It's an ever decreasing list for the most part, unless you collect for MANY old systems. Me, I'm mainly a SNES guy, so each year I'm crossing "1st time ever!111" off the list. Most recently, I just crossed Earthbound off that list. I will never again have that "I wonder what it plays like" feeling since I've already experienced it for the 1st time. But that's OK. I do still a solid handful (more like boxful, box full? lol) of "classics" that I have yet to ever (really) play (through)... and that excites me for 2013. I probably won't get through everything until at least 2017 or so... which is a hell of a run. Just gotta enjoy each moment as it comes

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If we're talking a game I skipped out on, never noticed, or just tried then yes. If it's something I already had and don't have now, probably not as it aged badly and I wouldn't bother.

TMNT3 was brought up, my brother had it, sold it before I could scoop up his games but I got it a few years back finally and it's pretty slick. I'd have to say the same for (not that he owned them) Double Dragon, 1943, Crystalis, Dragon Warrior IV definitely(just got it a month ago!), Tengen Tetris, and North and South to name a few from that era. The SNES has a few I got into like Pocky and Rocky, EVO, Wild Guns, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and others naming a few. I missed out on some gems, but as I picked up stuff I did find some notable stuff I really wanted to dig into and work on I hadn't thought about or saw a thing about them until years later online that originally were in NP Magazine. When you're a kid and on a small allowance you get choosey.