Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5982769/wii-u-gets...zombiu-package

Starting February 17, 2013, in North America, you'll be able to find the $390 ZombiU Deluxe Set, which comes complete with a black deluxe Wii U (32 GB) and GamePad, a digital copy of Nintendo Land, a ZombiU disc, and a Wii U Pro controller.

This is the deluxe version of the Wii U, so you'll get your 32 GB harddrive and everything else that's included in the standard $350 deluxe package. The big differences: Nintendo Land is digital, and ZombiU is on a disc.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Pretty crappy bundle considering you're not getting much of a discount. Going by Amazon you can get a regular Wii U and everything in the bundle for the same price, except Nintendo Land would be physical. Since Nintendo Land is digital they should just keep the bundle at $350 to try and entice new customers, not rip them off.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You get a Pro Controller too (a $50 value) so I think it's a pretty good deal IMO.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Pretty crappy bundle considering you're not getting much of a discount. Going by Amazon prices you can get a standard Wii U is $300, Nintendo Land for $40, and Zombie U for $50.
    Except it's not the $300 basic Wii U, it's the $350 deluxe version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I didn't notice that in the post. Skimmed through. That's pretty good then.

*edit*

Except it's not the $300 basic Wii U, it's the $350 deluxe version.
    I knew this, but there's not much of a difference between the regular version and the deluxe version.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-15-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally, I think buying a Wii U from retail, before a "significant" price drop would be a huge mistake. Nintendo is going to have to dramatically lower the price on this thing at some point, or it will simply die on the vine. I think the January NPD numbers on it is going to be pretty pathetic, and February is going to be even worse (at least in January you had some kids with Xmas gift cards and Xmas money that might have bought a Wii U).

The sales of the Wii U are going to fall off a cliff, if they haven't already. Seriously, what incentive is there to buy a Wii U ? There aren't any new games for it, and it doesn't seem like anything major is coming any time soon. Sure, the Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 look pretty good, but those games might not arrive till the Summer. Rayman got a huge delay, so that isn't a reason either. I'd try to hold out as long as possible, because I think we could be looking at a full $100 price drop on both skus in the very near future. It's only going to take Nintendo seeing the NPD numbers in January and February for them to push the panic button.

If you really are dead set on buying a Wii U, then look to the used market. There are going to be tons of disgruntled Wii U owners that will be looking to dump their system. Think of all the people that bought one in November, and they've already played thru Mario and Zombie U and Nintendoland. These owners are going to be bored to tears, and some of them will decide to just dump the system and move on. GameStop, to the best of my knowledge, is only paying $150 in store credit for a Deluxe Wii U right now, and that is including the $50 bonus they are offering for trading in certain hardware. If you took your Wii U to GameStop and wanted cash instead of store credit, it would only be like $100 or maybe even less.

This of course is going to affect the second hand market (Craigslist / Ebay). The prices on Ebay are holding up pretty well, but on Craigslist it's a different story. I see a ton of Wii U's advertised on Craigslist right now, but the people selling aren't dealing with the reality of the situation. It reminds me of the Vita situation from last year. Tons of people decided to sell their Vita's on Craigslist, and they thought that they were going to take maybe a 10 percent or 15 percent hit on their investment, and then they learned the hard way that the only way they are going to find a buyer for their Vita, is if they are willing to take a significant loss. I think the same exact thing is going to happen with the Wii U on Craigslist.

For example, I wouldn't pay more than $220 for a used Wii U Deluxe system. While to the owner of the Wii U, the $220 would seem like an insult, (considering they probably paid around $378 after tax for their deluxe system ) the truth is, that there really is no demand whatsoever for the system right now. All the demand that did exist, was pre-Xmas demand. Now that Xmas is in the rearview mirror, there just isn't much of any incentive at all for anybody to pay good money for a Wii U. If they go to GameStop, to check on trading it in, they are going to find out just how far the value on one of these things has dipped.

Also, while used Wii U's on Ebay are selling for much higher prices, the owners aren't actually getting much more than $220 once you factor in the shipping cost, and all the Ebay and PayPal fees, etc, etc.
    Last edited by WCP; 02-08-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not to beat a dead horse, but supposedly Nintendo sold only 55K Wii U's in the month of January.

I thought it would be pretty bad, but I had no clue it would be that bad. January is a month when kids can still return Xmas presents, and they are flushed with gift cards, and things like that. I actually expected January to not look so horrible. Unfortunately, I think it's all downhill from here till e3. I don't think the Lego game is going to move units like some people think. For Nintendo's sake, and the health of the video game industry in general, we better hope the Lego game moves units....

February's numbers could be an all-time low for such a high profile console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fire Reggie. It's all his fault. I hate that guy.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xlarge.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	6313

Nintendo leads, others follow.

You guys, the damn thing hs only been out for 4 months, its not dead yet. It was 2 years before Final Fantasy 7 came out for the PS1. There can be the super hot game still come out for the Wii U. So dont worry. And actually, I hope they do release their RPG's here instead of just keeping them in Japan.

I think why gaming was so great in the late 80's and 90's was because the internet wasnt full of message boards.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-14-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
    Fire Reggie. It's all his fault. I hate that guy.
    What does Reggie have to do with the limited amount of people who have been purchasing the Wii U?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    You guys, the damn thing hs only been out for 4 months
    Actually, the Wii U came out less than three months ago. 3.3 million sold in less than three months...is that weak or strong?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    What does Reggie have to do with the limited amount of people who have been purchasing the Wii U?
    He just needs to be fired. No questions asked. He's just an overpaid nobody that got his popularity during the time when the Wii was called the Revolution. Until he leaves I refuse to buy a Nintendo system.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Actually, the Wii U came out less than three months ago. 3.3 million sold in less than three months...is that weak or strong?
    Id say its really good. We need to stop comparing it to the Wii though since they didnt have the soccer mom buzz going for this. I hate the name, and think they really shouldnt have named it that. Again, NINTENDO should be the bigger brand name, not Wii. Like DS and 3DS, I dont know why theyre only adding on figure to their console names.

They didnt have any buzz going for it really. They should have made sure Bayonette 2 would have been ready for launch date. That would have been a great title to tell older gamers it was a console for them.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 02-15-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Honestly, it's NCL that needs a shakeup. Iwata has made some weird decisions and put too much trust in Miyamoto, even letting him influence hardware design.

The thing is that those three are very enigmatic, and associated with Wii money. Doubtful they'll strip vexing that soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

The Wii U is not dead yet, but Nintendo needs to do a 180 change with how the system is coming across(or lack of) The 3DS did not come out of the gate well either. The price was lowered, some good games came out, and now the system is doing a whole lot better. The Wii U is no different. The additional pressure for the big N is that MS and Sony are going to launch some fierce competition this year. Nintendo better consider a significant price drop and a list a AAA titles for this upcoming year if they want to compete. At Nintendo's current price though, I would probably just fork out some more $$$ and purchase a real next gen system. In discussion with all my gaming friends, they are all waiting for the same thing....price drop and games. They do want to buy one though. For everyone else that is my friend, they still dont know what the hell the Wii U is. Nintendo has done a very bad job marketing this thing.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the Wii U ends up being the only console that plays physical discs without activation and a persistent internet connection, it may actually carve out a nice chunk of the market for itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

360 and ps3 are still selling ok, so I wonder if this is the new normal for next-gen consoles outside of the holiday period or just a wii u problem. I'm guessing it's a wii u issue, but time will ultimately tell.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

While the system isn't selling well, one thing that's really killing the system's potential future sales is the fanbase. Just take a look at the sales numbers for Wii U games.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name...=0&results=200

It's been out for about three months, and the 11th top selling game, Disney Epic Mickey 2 sold 90,000. Just about all the games below that are ports, sure, but most of the people who own a Wii U, I'm betting don't have a PS3 or 360. There are those that do, but I'm thinking the majority probably don't. If those people don't show third party support it's just telling developers that their games aren't going to sell well on the system. I'm sure this is the reason Ubisoft went multiconsole with Rayman Legends and EA didn't announce Wii U versions of their future sports titles. There have been a lot of sales for Wii U games so there's no excuse. Nintendo Land doesn't count because most of the sales there are because it's a pack in for the deluxe model, but if you go by sales and see how much New Super Mario Bros U sold compared to everything else, even compared to Zombie U which is third place and sold 330,000, most Nintendo fans are telling third party developers that they don't want anything other than first party Nintendo games.

People are complaining about not receiving future releases or Ubisoft pulling a dick move by pushing back the release date to make it a simultaneous release, but there's a clear reason why if you look at what games are selling and what games aren't.

*edit*

Edited time frame Wii U has been out.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-15-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's been out for three and a half months
    Actually, the Wii U came out less than three months ago. November 18th, 2012 to today, February 15th, 2013.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Almost seems like the Wii U has been reduced to the Gamecube fanbase.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK