Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Based on this Nintendo leak that correctly predicted the Pokemon announcement the other day and even got the codename for the project correct (Essentially confirming that this information originates from within Nintendo), this is not only real but we can even count on a 2nd round of rereleases this Fall.

Now is definitely the time to get into the Wii U.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's official.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo View Post
    REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 29, 2016 – Starting on March 11, some of the most popular and critically acclaimed Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games become a part of the Nintendo Selects program and will be available at a suggested retail price of only $19.99 each. Wii U games like Super Mario 3D World, an imaginative four-player adventure with Mario and friends that received numerous Game of the Year awards and nominations when it first launched in 2013, join Nintendo 3DS standouts such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, one of the most critically acclaimed Nintendo 3DS games of all time.

“Whether you just picked up a new Wii U or Nintendo 3DS system over the holiday season or want to expand your ever-growing game collection, Nintendo Selects are a great, affordable option,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing. “Not only are these games easier than ever to enjoy, but they also represent some of our highest-quality offerings in recent memory.”

Other Wii U games joining the Nintendo Selects family are Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3 and NES Remix Pack. Fun Nintendo 3DS games Yoshi’s New Island, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and Mario Party: Island Tour can also be purchased at the new low suggested retail price of $19.99 each on March 11. Additionally, a group of classics from the Wii console that can be played on Wii U will be available at the reduced Nintendo Selects price. This includes Super Mario Galaxy 2, Animal Crossing: City Folk, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Mario All-Stars.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mario-...130000758.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well with the NX news due this year in June clearly to come out swinging at E3 I'm going be very curious to see if they keep any backwards compatibility around. This would be key in them not only kicking this project off now at this time for WiiU owners, but they could continue to seed those games well into 2017 to the market to help pad the game library of the NX so that it doesn't have as much of the traditional glut of games after launch. Nintendo could NX up a few games for people, and when they're bored waiting months for the next row of games, they can go -- buy this for $30. It would be fairly solid as far as tactics go given the rotten sales rate of the system, most wouldn't have played the stuff.

In an ideal world if I did get NX if these new trickles of info are solid and it appears third parties are spooging over how easy it is to make or port game code (drag n drop easy) to the thing, it could be a true success, not a disruptor one like Wii was for the first half of its life, and in that case I'd buy it. And then as a joke, since I don't ever do player's choice stuff, I could see intentionally snapping up these titles in that banner for fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I still wonder how the Wii Mini would've fared had the Selects program not been dead when it appeared and Nintendo had done several further rounds at that time like Super Mario Galaxy 2 to coincide with its launch and opening months on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well with the NX news due this year in June clearly to come out swinging at E3 I'm going be very curious to see if they keep any backwards compatibility around. This would be key in them not only kicking this project off now at this time for WiiU owners, but they could continue to seed those games well into 2017 to the market to help pad the game library of the NX so that it doesn't have as much of the traditional glut of games after launch. Nintendo could NX up a few games for people, and when they're bored waiting months for the next row of games, they can go -- buy this for $30. It would be fairly solid as far as tactics go given the rotten sales rate of the system, most wouldn't have played the stuff.
    If they don't have backwards compatibility and the NX is a hit, I kind of hope that they consider ports down the road of some of the Wii U's best content. Several titles here like Super Mario 3D World certainly could've sold many millions more copies, had Nintendo gotten the hardware into more homes.

I just hope that they're not too upgraded since I'll be tempted to buy the NX versions, too. And don't rely on last-gen ports, regardless of quality, to the same degree that the XB1 and PS4 did to prop up their lineups. Only now does it seem like the focus there is on original content instead of prettied up ports.

Nintendo actually got that part right with the Wii U with its sparing use of remasters. If anything, it could've used a few more like Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-29-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Great news!

I have been waiting for Zelda Ocarina 3DS's price to come down and finally I'll be able to purchase it
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Leo we're in agreement, it could have had a few more, especially their very late let's call it a dead Wii era goodies that few got their mitts on since most moved on. The big 3 that people puffed up (Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora) and also as you said Metroid Prime Trilogy. I'd have definitely snapped up for the WiiU had they got the good treatment Wind Waker did, or the still pretty but compared quick and dirty that Twilight Princess did on Wii U.

I know I say it enough, but I have my moments I wish I still had it, but I realize it would have still gone long unused. Perhaps we'll just see how the NX news shapes up in a little over 3 months. If the box plays WiiU games, maybe I'll start stacking up some selects in a drawer for later if the controller can allow to still running such games. I wouldn't mind having Wind Waker back along with New Super Mario Bros U since it was like the true Super Mario World 2 sequel unlike Yoshi in name to sell it, and then there would be Starfox I'm going to miss out on, and who knows what else. The third party stuff was mostly halfassed trash but there are a few that were decent along with a few Nintendo titles too.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree that Xenoblade could use a Nintendo Selects or a "Wii Classics" digital release. That it didn't happen may still have something to do with the GameStop agreement. /speculation end

I'm glad for this new line of Nintendo Selects because I can again recommend games that I couldn't because of their price. One of my friends at work has a Wii U and it felt good to be able to let her know about Pikmin 3, Super Mario All-Stars, and Super Mario 3D World getting an inexpensive reprint.

So, in a couple of weeks, go buy Pikmin 3 and Ocarina 3D and tell the scalpers to shove it.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yup scalper trash kept some solid games from being recommended due to over MSRP rape pricing which was just wrong considering they are out there and not limited as it is anyway, but now you'll get a good surge of new games pressed to teach them a lesson for squatting waiting for a chump.

Xenoblade almost surely isn't going to ever be reprinted because of directly Gamestop because they seemingly had a right to re-print the game themselves through a third party as is anyway because long after NOA didn't have it on their site, GS would get more in and sell them and it's not the only case of them using that third party game pressing company I'm forgetting the name of(think it had retro in the name.) The 3DS game also can't help either as it's out there and sold still actively now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo Direct announced for tomorrow, focusing on their spring/summer release schedule for the Wii U and 3DS.

Hopefully a few surprises are planned. Of course I expect nothing spectacular like a brand new AAA release that they've kept hidden, but even some more modest announcements can be exciting.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-02-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I'm curious, the well is running dry on 3DS games I want as of yet. I can't imagine too much said other than what is already known as we're inching into the 90day mark from E3 when the industry puckers up it's pooper and clenches all new information so they can have a June surprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I imagine it will largely be composed of showing off more of what we already know about, like further Star Fox Zero gameplay and a confirmation of a release day.

And probably can expect some more Amiibos to pop up, too (Although if they're not careful, they're going to drive this deal into the ground).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-02-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Paper Mario fans finally saw a game confirmed for the Wii U today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    IIf they don't have backwards compatibility and the NX is a hit, I kind of hope that they consider ports down the road of some of the Wii U's best content. Several titles here like Super Mario 3D World certainly could've sold many millions more copies, had Nintendo gotten the hardware into more homes.
    Add A Link Between Worlds to this list.

This one is an excellent Zelda title that I'm sadly nearing the end of. Been a long time since I played a single game for 5 hours in one day, but I did just that yesterday with this one (Albeit spread across 4-5 sessions). Keep going back to thinking how this one deserves to be experienced on the large screen. With it running natively in HD and perhaps with a slight bit of rework to ground textures like the hillsides, I think this one would be quite attractive on a larger display.

And hopefully the NX console at least includes the option of 3D TV support so they'll have no excuse whatsoever to skip this one (Even if it's never utilized again for any other title). While I'm playing it and fully enjoying it in 2D on my 3DS XL, there are definitely a few times where 3D obviously could come in handy for those able to experience the effect.

I hope with how well received this one is, that it leads to a renaissance of 2D style Zelda's like New Super Mario Brothers did on the original Nintendo DS for that franchise. This and Metroid both deserve to be regularly enjoyed in both 2D and 3D forms on handhelds and consoles, just like Mario platformers.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-10-2016 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Zelda U delayed to next year and is also now confirmed for the NX which has been announced for a March 2017 global launch.

Presumably Zelda U will be one of those launch titles with a Wii U release to follow later on, Twilight Princess style.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-27-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You mean 2017 right? I feel I called that one, perhaps in this thread but somewhere as I said they'd do it because they need a big name to push them forward and the WiiU would get kicked in the nuts for it. Proof they don't care anymore, they want it over with but will toss a bone to the WiiU since so much time was wasted on it with that game. I hope they don't think though an annoying open world Zelda beast is a system seller as they'd be mistaken outside of the initial out of the gate console sales push.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Of course, fixed my typo.

I've thought for about 3 years now that a cross-gen release was likely. Zelda coming at the end of a console generation doesn't do much good for Nintendo strategically, with Skyward Sword likely not selling more than a few thousand Wii's at that late date and with many Wii owners already having moved on.

At least this way it will help move NX hardware while placating Wii U fans like myself. Not an entirely ideal position for a big franchise like Zelda to not be a true 100% next-gen release, but certainly better than letting it loose solely on the Wii U.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-27-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Unlike "some" people I don't personally have an axe to grind with Nintendo, the Wii U to me is far superior in every way than the original Wii was (even at launch) and it will always have a spot as one of my favorite consoles. I've supported it since day one and have no regrets.

People that don't care or like the Wii U should just screw off and let people who do converse about it, yet it offends some gamers so much that there are actually people that like the console and will do anything to talk trash about it, makes you wonder why they have so much negative to say about a system they don't like instead of going to where they can talk about the console they do like.

Some so called Nintendo fans come off so hell bent with no reasoning and make no sense.... at all and when confronted have no recourse. The Wii U has been a great system I have enjoyed since day one and hopefully NX will be half as good as it is, no regrets.

I'll buy the new Zelda on both the Wii U and NX, as long as the NX is modeled more after the Wii U instead of the Wii cause I have enjoyed the Gamepad on Wii U much like I enjoyed Gameboy SP use on games on Gamecube. The NX may disapppoint like the original Wii did, but Wii U has not disappointed me but I think people just like to use it cause it hasn't had the sales numbers, I blame that on the original Wii and all its gimmicks that were bullshit and people didn't want to support them after all that and were pensive cause the Wii U Gamepad is not bullshit and is a great addition to a great system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's a bit too far with the screw off if you have a beef with WiiU, and ballsy hoping the nX would be half the system. Seriously? This isn't my joking at all, but if it was half as good as WiiU, they'd be finished. Sales and industry backing support that claim well enough with sales data and third party support ties as they are. They need it to be half the system the Wii was, at least in raw sales and as good as the Cube was or better with third party backing to erase the negativity from legit gripes and help make inexcusable haters with no recourse to a solid argument to really have to shut their traps.

I don't talk nicely mostly about WiiU, because I got one at launch and I feel I got burned out of $350 for it. I had a nice small supply of around a dozen games, a few sucked, but 8~ of them were fun, but to me that's nowhere near enough to justify that price tag let alone the failed support problem that happened within the first year making the thing sadly irrelevant to anyone who isn't just a huge Nintendo fan/fanboy at heart. I've NEVER sold off a Nintendo home console in disgust before the WiiU and I doubt I ever will again because I'm cautious feeling burned. I'll have to know a lot more about what NX is, how it is played, and who is backing it as I'm not going to sink hundreds into another accident when I'm on a budget. I trust them no more on standard (or standard+gimmick) consoles, but handhelds I'm not shaken with them at all. NX is a handheld, I'm in, if it's a console, it's a waiting game. Maybe I'd feel differently had I got a WiiU now with some used 'like new' quality system from someone else and scooped up stuff and played it slowly at the reduced rate things are mostly now but I don't have that luxury.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I have all the newest systems. I've enjoyed the Ps4 and Wii U the most. I feel burnt by Xbox One because it has trouble reading disks. I may just buy PS4 and Nintendo exclusively because I get burnt by Xbox every time. PS4 gets more games ported, and Nintendo has exclusives I want.

Although I have recently stated that this generation isn't as good as ones in the past, I can see that waiting for consoles to thrive is worth the wait.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I feel burnt by Xbox One because it has trouble reading disks.
    Wow, thats really not good, for a modern system to have problems like that is just pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    Although I have recently stated that this generation isn't as good as ones in the past, I can see that waiting for consoles to thrive is worth the wait.
    Its always worth the wait. It seems like whenever a system comes out, the launch games are always expensive.. but after 2-3 years they drop down to being 5$ games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I don't talk nicely mostly about WiiU, because I got one at launch and I feel I got burned out of $350 for it. I had a nice small supply of around a dozen games, a few sucked, but 8~ of them were fun, but to me that's nowhere near enough to justify that price tag let alone the failed support problem that happened within the first year making the thing sadly irrelevant to anyone who isn't just a huge Nintendo fan/fanboy at heart.
    Current/Modern consoles are always around this price range, and yeah you can feel 'burned' if you end up not using it alot. All modern consoles cost around this much new, and I dont think you can buy a modern console with hopes of it 'justifying the price tag' in the future. You should buy it if there are current games you want to play. I also dont think its fair to say that the only people who like the WiiU are 'fanboys', it implies that anyone who like the system is a blind moron. Its a quality system and the controller is pretty nice.

I do agree the early launch titles are not super fantastic, but the games always get better if you wait a few years.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 05-01-2016 at 09:13 PM.