Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Didn't see a single Wii on the shelf until mid 2008, now I could walk into any store and buy a Wii U.

Nintendo needs something like Pikmin 3 badly.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Be like Microsoft. Buy more third party support. You know they paid off Capcom to develop Resident Evil Revelations and make Monster Hunter a Nintendo exclusive property for this gen. PlatinumGames titles don't sell so you know they were dirt cheap in acquiring some exclusives from them.

Nintendo needs to start paying off more developers to make exclusive titles for the Wii U. Atleast until they solidify themselves as a solid investment. Because right now, aside from Nintendo exclusives, there are few exclusive titles I and many other people want from them right now.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I like baseball, bowling, tennis, and golf on Wii Sports. The only one I don't really care for is boxing. Takes too much energy and I'm too lazy
    I don't much like boxing either. I want to be lazy when I play videogames just like you do.

I'm surprised I enjoy bowling on it. I can't play that sitting down but it's well enough done that it's worth the extra energy. I play the others just sitting down.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-01-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bowling is the only one I enjoyed. The rest are pure gimmick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If Nintendo's Wii U online store is as pitifully weak as the Wii's, you can count me out until they're practically giving the system away five to six years from now. Apart from Neo-Geo games, how many arcade games came out on the Virtual Console? Like 15? Inexplicably, I never saw Contra or Bionic Commando make their way to the NES' Virtual Console, and NOA's chief douche bag, Reggie, mocks the idea of ever bringing Earthbound to the Virtual Console. Overall, Nintendo fumbled in the downloadable world with the Wii and I haven't read anything to assuage my concerns over the same being the case with the Wii U.

Honestly, I kinda hope Nintendo gets a wakeup call with the Wii U in terms of lackluster sales, causing them to pull their head out of their ip filled arse and make the kind of "duh" decisions that are needed to keep from unnecessarily alienating and frustrating gamers.

Bleh... I'm starting to feel extra crabby from the flu vaccine I just got so I'll quit my bitching.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    If Nintendo's Wii U online store is as pitifully weak as the Wii's, you can count me out until they're practically giving the system away five to six years from now. Apart from Neo-Geo games, how many arcade games came out on the Virtual Console? Like 15? Inexplicably, I never saw Contra or Bionic Commando make their way to the NES' Virtual Console, and NOA's chief douche bag, Reggie, mocks the idea of ever bringing Earthbound to the Virtual Console. Overall, Nintendo fumbled in the downloadable world with the Wii and I haven't read anything to assuage my concerns over the same being the case with the Wii U.

Honestly, I kinda hope Nintendo gets a wakeup call with the Wii U in terms of lackluster sales, causing them to pull their head out of their ip filled arse and make the kind of "duh" decisions that are needed to keep from unnecessarily alienating and frustrating gamers.

Bleh... I'm starting to feel extra crabby from the flu vaccine I just got so I'll quit my bitching.
    The virtual console should have been absolutely flooded with games. There must be some prohibitive factor involved in getting third party games up there because we should be seeing much more than we do. For example, why isn't every SMS game on there? It seems to me that putting a game up there is a relatively cheap and easy thing to do. There's no manufacturing or r and d cost. That said, I do enjoy a fair amount of the offerings on the vc. I just wish there were more.

The eshop is ass right now as well. There are only about 5 games on there that aren't retail releases, and none of them look that cool.

I did read in game informer that they are planning to get virtual console games playable on the tablet, but there's no mention of when that's going to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    For example, why isn't every SMS game on there [the Virtual Console]?
    Well, it sure as hell ain't because Nintendo is afraid of over saturating the market with Mario games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you guys are underestimating what games Nintendo is allowed to put on the VC. Contra and Bionic Commando aren't Nintendo first-party titles. So its on Konomi and Capcom to prioritize their release. Not Nintendo. And that can pretty much explain any glaring omission on the VC.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    NOA's chief douche bag, Reggie, mocks the idea of ever bringing Earthbound to the Virtual Console.
    Blame Itoi for that, not Reggie. He put a bunch of stuff in his game that wouldn't fly in present day copyright wise. There are only three things in that game that need to be changed/removed: the name of one enemy, the replacement of a sampled Chuck Berry song, and the Sky Runner song. That's it. The only thing that's kept the game in limbo for so long was the last one, apparently Itoi and NCL think they would have to write a new song for that ONE SCENE. They'd replace the Chuck Berry song just fine, why not the ONE SCENE with the Sky Runner?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I think you guys are underestimating what games Nintendo is allowed to put on the VC. Contra and Bionic Commando aren't Nintendo first-party titles. So its on Konomi and Capcom to prioritize their release. Not Nintendo. And that can pretty much explain any glaring omission on the VC.
    To get your content released on the Virtual Console, you had to all but sign your life away to Nintendo. Both Konami and Capcom have publically stated that they submitted their entire 8/16 bit console library's of nonlicensed content to Nintendo. And in at least one instance, we know that Nintendo passed something over since they felt like it would promote something on the competition (NES Bionic Commando back around when Capcom was reviving the franchise elsewhere).

The ball is in Nintendo's court where Capcom and Konami are concerned. Nintendo has the rights to that content and it's their job now to get things reviewed by the ESRB, decide when and what is released, and for how much.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I've been at a number of Targets, and seen the Wii U demo station just totally ignored, with all the other demo stations being used by people. It's weird.
    Probably because the Wii U demo stations don't play any games, they just show demo videos. At least that's the case with all the ones I've come across.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    Probably because the Wii U demo stations don't play any games, they just show demo videos. At least that's the case with all the ones I've come across.
    Toys R Us's Wii U demo station doesn't play any games but Gamestop and Best Buy plays one: Rayman Legends. Definitely not the best game to promote a new system with but that decision's blame lies solely on Nintendo.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man, the local Craigslist market has me extremely tempted to get a Wii U. I've seen a couple of different people selling brand new, in the box, basic versions for $220 straight up.

$220 is pretty damn cheap, when you consider the fact that you aren't even paying any tax on it. The thing is, why am I compelled to buy this thing, just for the sake of buying it ? It's like I want to buy the thing just because it seems like it's a good deal to get one so cheap. Problem is, I'd still need to buy Mario.

I made an offer to a guy selling a basic for $220, I said that I would give him $250 if it included Mario. You'd think, getting a brand new Wii U, with the Mario game, out the door for $250 is a screaming deal, but what happens when I finish the Mario game? What the heck am I going to play on it then ? I'd probably rent Zombie U at some point but, there really isn't anything calling my name. Mario isn't even really calling my name that bad, lol... Still, I guess it's just that consumerism bug in me. Have no real need for the thing, but the deal just seems too good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macdude22 View Post
    I don't think I've used my DS since I got an iPhone 3 years ago. I pull it out to charge every few months, bout it. It's just way more convenient to play something on my phone.
    I don't see how anyone can "play a game" on an iPhone, with its tiny screen and thumbs in the way. Meh I loathe mobile and casual gaming.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Man, the local Craigslist market has me extremely tempted to get a Wii U. I've seen a couple of different people selling brand new, in the box, basic versions for $220 straight up.

$220 is pretty damn cheap, when you consider the fact that you aren't even paying any tax on it. The thing is, why am I compelled to buy this thing, just for the sake of buying it ? It's like I want to buy the thing just because it seems like it's a good deal to get one so cheap. Problem is, I'd still need to buy Mario.

I made an offer to a guy selling a basic for $220, I said that I would give him $250 if it included Mario. You'd think, getting a brand new Wii U, with the Mario game, out the door for $250 is a screaming deal, but what happens when I finish the Mario game? What the heck am I going to play on it then ? I'd probably rent Zombie U at some point but, there really isn't anything calling my name. Mario isn't even really calling my name that bad, lol... Still, I guess it's just that consumerism bug in me. Have no real need for the thing, but the deal just seems too good.
    If you need help justifying it, you might be able to convince yourself that Wii games look better on it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    If you need help justifying it, you might be able to convince yourself that Wii games look better on it...
    On many HDTV's, they should look better. The Wii U's upscaling is good enough that comparisons between it and the native 480p output of the Wii look virtually identical.

But let your HDTV's internal scaling chip do the job and you're just as likely to get noticeable degradation as you are a pleasing image.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-03-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Blame Itoi for that, not Reggie. He put a bunch of stuff in his game that wouldn't fly in present day copyright wise. There are only three things in that game that need to be changed/removed: the name of one enemy, the replacement of a sampled Chuck Berry song, and the Sky Runner song. That's it. The only thing that's kept the game in limbo for so long was the last one, apparently Itoi and NCL think they would have to write a new song for that ONE SCENE. They'd replace the Chuck Berry song just fine, why not the ONE SCENE with the Sky Runner?
    I just don't get how the suits at Nintendo are unable or unwilling to work out a mutually beneficial arrangement between them and the copyright holders of said intellectual properties. With Earthbound just sitting in the back bin of Nintendo's catalog, potential money is lost for all parties concerned.

Surely somewhere there must be a plucky, idealist lawyer who is also a gamer who can set off on an epic quest to make this happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    I don't see how anyone can "play a game" on an iPhone, with its tiny screen and thumbs in the way. Meh I loathe mobile and casual gaming.
    That's because so many iOS/Android games are lazy rehashes of traditional handheld or console experiences. Stay away from that crap and the stupid casual games, and you can find some really fun stuff. There are games designed specifically for touch/gyro controls that are actually good, not to mention absurdly cheap compared to traditional portable games. Smartphones also have the advantage of always being on, and the games generally start up fast and get right down to business, unlike 3DS and Vita games that punish the user with load times or a parade of splash screens. Ideally, I'd prefer to play games on something like the JXD S7300 Android tablet, which has full tactile controls like the PSVita, but for convenience, you can't beat a smartphone.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    That's because so many iOS/Android games are lazy rehashes of traditional handheld or console experiences. Stay away from that crap and the stupid casual games, and you can find some really fun stuff. There are games designed specifically for touch/gyro controls that are actually good, not to mention absurdly cheap compared to traditional portable games. Smartphones also have the advantage of always being on, and the games generally start up fast and get right down to business, unlike 3DS and Vita games that punish the user with load times or a parade of splash screens. Ideally, I'd prefer to play games on something like the JXD S7300 Android tablet, which has full tactile controls like the PSVita, but for convenience, you can't beat a smartphone.
    This is so true. Like one I found out about this week. Spaceteam. It is a free, multiplayer game that is just insane. I highly recommend trying it if you have other people around you with ipads/iphones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    The virtual console should have been absolutely flooded with games. There must be some prohibitive factor involved in getting third party games up there because we should be seeing much more than we do. For example, why isn't every SMS game on there? It seems to me that putting a game up there is a relatively cheap and easy thing to do. There's no manufacturing or r and d cost. That said, I do enjoy a fair amount of the offerings on the vc. I just wish there were more.
    Did the games that were on the VC sell well?

I'd heard that the games you downloaded were tied to the console, not your account. If your Wii died, so did all of the games you purchased. Or was there another way to back up your downloads?