Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Kupo is right, remote play is the name. Whether or not it's playable depends largely on the game and your connection. I've played RE2 on my PSP on the couch while my girlfriend watched a movie and had no problem with it. It's also great for turn based RPGs.
    I find that the Vita has a MUCH better latency (or lack thereof) with remote play on PS1 games in the disc drive than the PSP. With the settings on the middle to low range of graphics detail and high end of speed it's almost perfect to the point that you can actually play a fighting or driving game.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I got a deluxe WiiU a week ago and I like what it is trying to do. I like Batman and ZombiU and how they utilize that screen for gadgets, backpack inventory,etc... However, with the revelations about the CPU and how I've had 3 hard locks requiring me to pull the power cord to turn it off, I decided to return it. I'll most likely rebuy later but I'm not real big on launch day issues and this is more than I can stand at $400 after taxes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii U sales will continue to be slow until Nintendo starts releasing more of their legacy titles. I'm one of those people who is waiting to pick one up later once more than Zombi U interest me. Maybe it will sell better in Japan this time around.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wish they'd do some quick HD collections to get some of their big franchises out.

I'd love to be able to buy Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, a collection of the two Super Mario Galaxy releases and Super Mario Sunshine, and a Zelda collection with Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. Judging by Dolphin, these games would make excellent candidates for HD rereleases.

Without such things, we could be in for a very long wait for some of these franchises to make appearances on the Wii U. Major console Zelda entries seem to take a good 4-5 years and Skyward Sword is only a year old for one example.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I too saw a lot of WiiU's sitting at Target. I think what makes it so shocking is that we are used to shortages when it comes to Nintendo launches.

I'm sure they are still selling a lot, and the system will have a successful life span. Nintendo fans should not worry; as a Sega follower, I can tell you, sales can be a lot worse.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I too saw a lot of WiiU's sitting at Target. I think what makes it so shocking is that we are used to shortages when it comes to Nintendo launches.

I'm sure they are still selling a lot, and the system will have a successful life span. Nintendo fans should not worry; as a Sega follower, I can tell you, sales can be a lot worse.

I was pretty shocked that the 7 year old Xbox 360 out sold it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sherdog View Post
    I was pretty shocked that the 7 year old Xbox 360 out sold it.
    That isn't unusual. The first few months of a new system usually has a contrained supply so they still get outsold by the older systems for a few months. Come next March or April we will have a much clearer picture of how the Wii U fares against the 360, PS3 and even the Wii.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 12-22-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fry's Electronics has actually been advertising Wii U basic bundles for $350 that include Nintendoland and the Sonic Racing game. Since the basic is $299, and Nintendoland is $59.99, and I think the Sonic Racing is at least $39.99 or something... Anyways, basically Fry's is taking like a $35 hit on this bundle. They must have got way too many basic systems that they are having a hard time selling. Kinda crazy to see something like this BEFORE xmas.

http://www.frys.com/product/7504656
    Last edited by WCP; 12-22-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i work at walmart...and i can say honestly its just not selling

we only got about 8 Basic bundles and none of them have sold.
    we eventually wound up with 98 deluxe bundles and only 18 of them sold

most of those were people with pre orders expecting to sell them on ebay.

i have personaly sold one and i work in the electronics department

i'm thinking about getting one, probably after tax time and i imagine theres going to be a hefty price drop by then if it doesent start selling soon

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got a ton of flack on a message board cause I said the name was a bad idea. Now whos laughing? And actually scared, cause I wish people were A LITTLE more smart about this and knowing a its a new console and not a add on thing. My friend who hasa PS3 thinks its just an addon to the Wii even though Ive explained what it is 3 times. Why does it take being a diehard to understand that its a new console? Im afraid this will keep the "stupid americans are too dumb for our cool RPG's" mentality at Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Why does it take being a diehard to understand that its a new console?
    I think a big part of it, is the fact that Nintendo decided to just catch up to where the PS3 and 360 has already been for the last 6 or 7 years. It's not really a next-gen system. If it was truly next-gen, then I think it would be pretty obvious to everybody that Nintendo had a new machine. I remember when I first heard about the Wii U, I really thought that Nintendo could make things interesting, by having a version of Call of Duty that would look leaps and bounds better than the 360 or PS3 versions. It could have created a huge buzz.

Of course, Nintendo was more concerned with having this tablet controller, and they didn't want the price to go into the stratosphere, so the Wii U ended up being pretty underpowered, especially from the CPU standpoint.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only diehards care about CPU's and being "truly" next gen though. Black Ops isnt as big of a deal with little kids, which has always been Nintendos default audience. Most people just care about games, and the Wii name still being on the machine made people think its a Wii with a new controller you cant use on the normal Wii. Nintendo should still be the bigger brand name than Wii, and that was my big problem with it. When the SNES came out it was so much different than the NES, parents who didnt think they needed to buy their kids a new console saw it and heard the music and knew it was different and better.

They just should have come up with a different name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Fry's Electronics has actually been advertising Wii U basic bundles for $350 that include Nintendoland and the Sonic Racing game. Since the basic is $299, and Nintendoland is $59.99, and I think the Sonic Racing is at least $39.99 or something... Anyways, basically Fry's is taking like a $35 hit on this bundle. They must have got way too many basic systems that they are having a hard time selling. Kinda crazy to see something like this BEFORE xmas.

http://www.frys.com/product/7504656
    That's not crazy, that's just Fry's.

I used to live like 5miles from one and they do weird crap every year many times of year holiday or not. Back when Uncharted 2 came out they sold it for $49.00 instead of $60 for example. They often do both advertised and unadvertised weirdo random sales on brand new stuff that just hits the stores or a week or two after they hit to draw people their way instead of elsewhere. I find it was like they randomly do weird Amazon like price slashes on all sorts of goods.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Only diehards care about CPU's and being "truly" next gen though. Black Ops isnt as big of a deal with little kids, which has always been Nintendos default audience. Most people just care about games, and the Wii name still being on the machine made people think its a Wii with a new controller you cant use on the normal Wii. Nintendo should still be the bigger brand name than Wii, and that was my big problem with it. When the SNES came out it was so much different than the NES, parents who didnt think they needed to buy their kids a new console saw it and heard the music and knew it was different and better.

They just should have come up with a different name.

I understand what you're saying, but at the same time, you have Reggie telling the media that Black Ops on the Wii U is vastly superior to the 360 and PS3 versions, which of course is a joke, but I think if it was legitmately true, it really would make a difference. Nintendo could have easily had enough power in the machine to run Black Ops at a "legit" 1080p, and also at a silky smooth 60 frames per second. The textures could have been significantly improved, etc, etc. I think if Nintendo had commericals that did an A/B comparison between Black Ops on Wii U and on the 360/PS3, I think it could have generated some buzz. Sure, the buzz would start with the hardcore set, but it eventually trickles down to the Joe Sixpacks of the world.

Of course, this would have also required that Nintendo send a few wheelbarrels of cache to Activision to make sure that the Wii U version of Black Ops 2 was truly special, and we all know that Nintendo doesn't like doing stuff like that.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me its not about 1080 anything or seeing brown areas in their browny glory. They just need to focus on Mario and Link as games. But to me the bigger thing they should be doing right now is making people understand its a brand new console.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

To me its not about 1080 anything or seeing brown areas in their browny glory. They just need to focus on Mario and Link as games. But to me the bigger thing they should be doing right now is making people understand its a brand new console.
    I personally would love to see Nintendo come up with a new ip that doesn't overtax the CPU. Whether or not it utilizes the touch pad is inconsequential. But intelligent systems or ead could probably make something unique, fresh and fun. It's about time. These Mario and Zelda games are getting stale, and low in innovation.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I just think the market's so much different from 2006. Back then, there wasn't a single iOS device. Cell phone gaming was a joke. Now you can play a fully featured RPG on your phone.

The name might have something to do with it, but I also think people's tastes are changing. Maybe we really are moving away from consoles and desktops to a world of multi-purpose phones and laptops....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I felt burnt with the Wii, I have no plans to purchase the Wii U this time around until there's a reasonable library of games worth buying that aren't already available on my PC or Xbox 360.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I felt burnt with the Wii
    I think this is what has happened with most of Nintendo's audience, except with the addition of most people never playing video games. They bought into the Wii because of the concept of motion controls. Maybe after buying into one gimmick, they decided to stay away from purchasing this one as the same thing as before might happen. They might use the console for a week then never touch it again.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

This isn't a thread to discuss whether or not the Wii was a worthy system. It was, you just had to know where to look. It absolutely was worth buying in around 2007, and if you don't own one by now you could probably find one for less than $80.

I think the problem was the lack of advertising. I barely ever saw ads for Wii games.