Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Slow Wii U sales?

I was in a local Best Buy today, and they had around 30 black Wii U systems for sale out on the floor, as well as another 30 white Wii U's. They were all stacked in a pile on top of each other. Seems pretty odd to see a brand new video game system during Christmas time in such plentiful numbers. In fact, every store I've gone into lately has had plenty of Wii U's in stock. Either Nintendo released more than enough systems to go around this time, or the sales for the system are really slow. Does anyone here know which it is? Maybe it's both?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People complain if they sell out, people complain if they are in stock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    People complain if they sell out, people complain if they are in stock.
    You got that right. Back when the Wii popped up they were in a position in the market they figured they'd just say screw it and go their own path. Having no idea it would be not just desired but like crack addict popular the stupid thing on the whole sold out solid in stores not just through Christmas but the following one and the months between too as they didn't have enough supply, then had to make facilities to do them after the fact.

Now with the 3DS and the WiiU, Nintendo instead plays down expectations and minimalizes the media campaign on the stuff as well while pumping out a heap of product, and since in some places you can find a pile of them, a few, and in many areas too none...now it's bitch bitch bitch they're not selling.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And on that I see another comment that's a systematic problem with this industry and the consumers in it too, bitching about not having software to back up a system. This isn't just Nintendo but all of them and it really is OUR fault. If someone dares to release a system with like say 5 games and then have a couple more every week or two pop up so they don't have a software drought on the level of like 4-6 months, they're a failure because they didn't have a solid launch library and it shows lack of third party support. But, if you blow out a launch with like 20+ titles, then you get bitching about games with issues, ports, stuff being so called B-grade or a low A (not AAA) grade stuff but you get good buzz, then you get shit on and whined about for months on end after the initial month or so on the market because everyone shoveled their shit to the shelves all at once and you get like 1 game a month for the forseeable future. I mean really, what the hell do people want? It's like a selfish bitchfest reprisal if you go either way on it with a system launch. You do too little on choice and you're a failure, and if you do it all at once a month later you're a failure too because in both cases supposedly third parties aren't backing you up. It's all a symptom of the current me me me selfish and ADHD type mentality of gamers we have these days who have it have it now, right now, and all of it and consistently or it's get bored and bitchy time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Somebody on my local Craigslist was selling a Basic for $270. I was almost tempted, but decided against it at the last minute. It's like, what game would I really want to play on it? Mario and Zombie U both look interesting, but not $300 something interesting. I think I'll be waiting till it's $199 with a good game packed in. (Yeah, I know it's gonna be a LONG wait)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

It's too early to tell. We probably won't get solid numbers until next month.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    Either Nintendo released more than enough systems to go around this time, or the sales for the system are really slow. Does anyone here know which it is? Maybe it's both?

It's probably both. Nintendo knew they left $$$ on the table during the original Wii launch. They could have sold double the number of Wii's that they had, but they had legitimate supply issues. This time, they are determined not to under supply, but at the same time, the demand is nowhere near the original Wii demand. In fact, if you think about recent hardware launches during the Thanksgiving time frame, the Kinect was probably in greater demand that original year that it came out.

I've been at a number of Targets, and seen the Wii U demo station just totally ignored, with all the other demo stations being used by people. It's weird.

The only reason Nintendo was even able to sell that first 500,000, is because they had about 375,000 of their diehard supporters jump on the bandwagon on day one. The other 125,000 went to the Ebay/Craigslist speculators. I'm guessing that 50K of that 125K that went to the Craigslist / Ebay crowd will be returned at some point. I think their NPD numbers in December will still look halfway decent ( it is Xmas afterall, and parents still want to excite their kids with a hot new gift ) When we get to January and February, I think they will be WAY off. Nintendo will probably have a press conference, and they will say they are revising their estimates.

They need some killer software and quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    It's probably both. Nintendo knew they left $$$ on the table during the original Wii launch. They could have sold double the number of Wii's that they had, but they had legitimate supply issues. This time, they are determined not to under supply, but at the same time, the demand is nowhere near the original Wii demand. In fact, if you think about recent hardware launches during the Thanksgiving time frame, the Kinect was probably in greater demand that original year that it came out.

I've been at a number of Targets, and seen the Wii U demo station just totally ignored, with all the other demo stations being used by people. It's weird.

The only reason Nintendo was even able to sell that first 500,000, is because they had about 375,000 of their diehard supporters jump on the bandwagon on day one. The other 125,000 went to the Ebay/Craigslist speculators. I'm guessing that 50K of that 125K that went to the Craigslist / Ebay crowd will be returned at some point. I think their NPD numbers in December will still look halfway decent ( it is Xmas afterall, and parents still want to excite their kids with a hot new gift ) When we get to January and February, I think they will be WAY off. Nintendo will probably have a press conference, and they will say they are revising their estimates.

I considered buying one on launch day to resell it on Ebay. I'm sure glad I didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    I considered buying one on launch day to resell it on Ebay. I'm sure glad I didn't.

Some people are actually making some money with the deluxe versions. The basic versions are a very hard sell. Last time I bought consoles to try to make a profit was the PS3 / Wii launches. It's a lot of hassle for minimum profit. I might try to do it with the next Xbox and PS4, but I kinda had the feeling that the Wii U wasn't going to sell like hotcakes. I think the price is $50 too high on both packages. If the Deluxe was $299 and the Basic was $249, I'd be much more interested. I'm sure the rest of the public at large feels the same way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe Nintendo needs to realize that their system is full of gimmicks and just resort back to the way it once was. I've had way more fun with the Gamecube. Wii U is so tacky..

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Schiggidyd View Post
    Maybe Nintendo needs to realize that their system is full of gimmicks and just resort back to the way it once was. I've had way more fun with the Gamecube. Wii U is so tacky..
    They do need to go back to how they sold consoles before the gimmicks, like calling it an entertainment system instead of a video game console and packing a robot buddy with it. No gimmick there.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Probably because the Wii U demo stations don't have any playable demos. Every station I've been to - Target, Best Buy... all they have are video clips. Gets boring fast.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Probably because the Wii U demo stations don't have any playable demos. Every station I've been to - Target, Best Buy... all they have are video clips. Gets boring fast.
    Rayman Legends is the only playable demo, and it's the last game on the list so many people probably won't notice it, *and* it's not even out yet! WTF??

I agree, the Wii U demo kiosks are pathetic at the moment.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Probably because the Wii U demo stations don't play any games, they just show demo videos. At least that's the case with all the ones I've come across.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    Probably because the Wii U demo stations don't play any games, they just show demo videos. At least that's the case with all the ones I've come across.
    Toys R Us's Wii U demo station doesn't play any games but Gamestop and Best Buy plays one: Rayman Legends. Definitely not the best game to promote a new system with but that decision's blame lies solely on Nintendo.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Man, the local Craigslist market has me extremely tempted to get a Wii U. I've seen a couple of different people selling brand new, in the box, basic versions for $220 straight up.

$220 is pretty damn cheap, when you consider the fact that you aren't even paying any tax on it. The thing is, why am I compelled to buy this thing, just for the sake of buying it ? It's like I want to buy the thing just because it seems like it's a good deal to get one so cheap. Problem is, I'd still need to buy Mario.

I made an offer to a guy selling a basic for $220, I said that I would give him $250 if it included Mario. You'd think, getting a brand new Wii U, with the Mario game, out the door for $250 is a screaming deal, but what happens when I finish the Mario game? What the heck am I going to play on it then ? I'd probably rent Zombie U at some point but, there really isn't anything calling my name. Mario isn't even really calling my name that bad, lol... Still, I guess it's just that consumerism bug in me. Have no real need for the thing, but the deal just seems too good.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Man, the local Craigslist market has me extremely tempted to get a Wii U. I've seen a couple of different people selling brand new, in the box, basic versions for $220 straight up.

$220 is pretty damn cheap, when you consider the fact that you aren't even paying any tax on it. The thing is, why am I compelled to buy this thing, just for the sake of buying it ? It's like I want to buy the thing just because it seems like it's a good deal to get one so cheap. Problem is, I'd still need to buy Mario.

I made an offer to a guy selling a basic for $220, I said that I would give him $250 if it included Mario. You'd think, getting a brand new Wii U, with the Mario game, out the door for $250 is a screaming deal, but what happens when I finish the Mario game? What the heck am I going to play on it then ? I'd probably rent Zombie U at some point but, there really isn't anything calling my name. Mario isn't even really calling my name that bad, lol... Still, I guess it's just that consumerism bug in me. Have no real need for the thing, but the deal just seems too good.
    If you need help justifying it, you might be able to convince yourself that Wii games look better on it...

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Just some games. Sony calls it "cross play", and it's both weird and neat. Most games don't support it, but it's cool when they do.

I haven't tried it with the Vita, but I abused the Hell out of it with the PSP, mostly for PS classics. I read today that Tokyo Jungle now supports cross play on the Vita, which I'll try over the weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey... no shit? You mean sales are slow because everyone and their mother bought them to resale, while having a launch lineup that was lackluster at best? Wow, what a surprise.

I'll buy one eventually, but no time soon. I'll probably pick it up before Pikmin 3.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I bought one because it was there and I have no real will power, but it's pretty lackluster for the time being. I have a feeling those of us who shelled out for one will be happy with their purchases once the Zeldas and the Metroids come around.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

For me, the most interesting thing about it, is being able to use the Wii U Gamepad as a little portable game station around the house (well 25 feet within the Wii U base console). If only it had a better range. It will be really interesting to see if there is some 3rd party hardware that can "extend" that range. The idea of being able to take that gamepad anywhere around my house and even in the backyard, etc, etc is kinda cool idea. Yeah, I can't take it with me in the car or on a plane, but I still really like the idea of being able to be in bed playing a triple A console game on a decent screen.
    This, Mario, and Zombie U are the only thing I'm interested on the console right now so not picking one up anytime soon. Instead of having to worry about the range of it, couldn't you just take the console with you to your bedroom and then just switch the interface to the console as soon as you power on the system?

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Can't you do the same with PSP/Vita, or is that just a feature for some games?
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Just some games. Sony calls it "cross play", and it's both weird and neat. Most games don't support it, but it's cool when they do.

I haven't tried it with the Vita, but I abused the Hell out of it with the PSP, mostly for PS classics. I read today that Tokyo Jungle now supports cross play on the Vita, which I'll try over the weekend.
    It's called Remote Play actually. Cross Play is where Vita and PS3 players can play online together on games like Wipeout HD/Fury, Playstation All Stars, or the upcoming Ratchet and Clank game that plays like Starhawk but Ratchet and Clank themed. There's also Cross Controller where you can play PS3 games with Vita specific functionality, like the DLC that just came out for LBP2 on PS3.

To me though, I never use remote play at home. If I ever do use it, it's when I'm at someone elses house and I connect wirelessly to play a game. It's rare that I use it though and half the time I've used it was to show off the feature to friends that I could use it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.