Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My biggest hope is that Nintendo doesn't go into ultra panic mode and end up rushing Mario Kart out before it's ready. Same thing with the 3D Mario game.

You'd think that if you were launching a new console, you'd have at least 5 games of your own, ready to go. Nintendo's only had two games ready for launch, and it seems they aren't going to have another game till maybe April ? It's just bad planning by Nintendo.

If Xbox and Playstation allow no used games at all, Nintendo could use that as their saving grace, but they'll need some serious games. They need Retro to make something that will really show off the power of the machine. Hopefully we see that at e3.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    While the system isn't selling well, one thing that's really killing the system's potential future sales is the fanbase. Just take a look at the sales numbers for Wii U games.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name...=0&results=200

It's been out for about three months, and the 11th top selling game, Disney Epic Mickey 2 sold 90,000. Just about all the games below that are ports, sure, but most of the people who own a Wii U, I'm betting don't have a PS3 or 360. There are those that do, but I'm thinking the majority probably don't. If those people don't show third party support it's just telling developers that their games aren't going to sell well on the system. I'm sure this is the reason Ubisoft went multiconsole with Rayman Legends and EA didn't announce Wii U versions of their future sports titles. There have been a lot of sales for Wii U games so there's no excuse. Nintendo Land doesn't count because most of the sales there are because it's a pack in for the deluxe model, but if you go by sales and see how much New Super Mario Bros U sold compared to everything else, even compared to Zombie U which is third place and sold 330,000, most Nintendo fans are telling third party developers that they don't want anything other than first party Nintendo games.

People are complaining about not receiving future releases or Ubisoft pulling a dick move by pushing back the release date to make it a simultaneous release, but there's a clear reason why if you look at what games are selling and what games aren't.

*edit*

Edited time frame Wii U has been out.
    Actually, everybody that i know that bought one also has a ps3 and a 360. As far as I can tell, the only people who are buying them are the hardcore set, which is why the ports sell poorly--the install base has access to better versions.

Most casual people don't even know there's a new Nintendo console on the market right now. (Or they do know and just don't care).

Personally, I also think its a horrible time right now to put out a new console, and it will continue to be so for the next several years. Most of the businesses around here that took a hit when the economy tanked still haven't recovered, and the unemployment rate is still pretty high. I'm starting to get worried about the next generation of consoles. Not because of iOS, like everyone says, but just because the last gen consoles were sooo expensive to get functioning as intended (my ps3, a greatest hits copy if assassins creed, one extra controller, and an hdmi cable cost $700!!) and I don't think people will want to go through that 4 years after they just plunked in nearly $1000. I know I don't.

Insert Coin (Level 0) danawhitaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's interesting though is that if you compare total unit sales over the same period of time to the Wii U and the PS3, they aren't that far off. The Wii U is supposed to be around 3 million, from what I read, and Sony was at 3.6 million by the end of March 2007 and Microsoft was at 3.2 in March of 2006. Sony had estimated being at around 6 million the first year and ended up being off the mark. The original Wii did considerably better, with over 5 million units during that same time period.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    What's interesting though is that if you compare total unit sales over the same period of time to the Wii U and the PS3, they aren't that far off. The Wii U is supposed to be around 3 million, from what I read, and Sony was at 3.6 million by the end of March 2007 and Microsoft was at 3.2 in March of 2006. Sony had estimated being at around 6 million the first year and ended up being off the mark. The original Wii did considerably better, with over 5 million units during that same time period.
    In fairness though, the PS3 was super expensive at launch. I know I paid $600 plus tax at Target. The "cheaper" option was the $500 one which was also a lot of money in even better economic times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    In fairness though, the PS3 was super expensive at launch. I know I paid $600 plus tax at Target. The "cheaper" option was the $500 one which was also a lot of money in even better economic times.
    Yup. That's definitely a fair point. And the 360 was slightly more expensive at $400 for the good model, if I recall correctly. The other thing I noticed then was that a lot of retailers tried to bundle them into packages with games and accessories that you didn't necessarily want or need. I waited until almost a year after the 360 launched before I got one. To be quite honest, I probably would have waited a while on the Wii U as well but I had a spawn begging for one for Christmas and it was hard to say no to her this year.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    Let's be real, the Wii U launch has two things uniquely separating itself from PS360: a cheaper $300-350 starting price point and a post-recession economy. Under similar circumstances, a newly released $400 broken down Xbox or $600 Blu-Ray Player wouldn't even reach half their sales numbers in the same time frame with MSony struggling far more in cutting costs than Nintendo.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

but most of the people who own a Wii U, I'm betting don't have a PS3 or 360
    I only know a handful of people that bought a Wii-U, but every one of them is an "early adopter" with both a 360 and PS3. That's the market the first year-ish - early adopters and "hardcore" or "traditional" gamers that want the new system. It was the same for the Wii, PS3... most consoles.

If the Wii U ends up being the only console that plays physical discs without activation and a persistent internet connection, it may actually carve out a nice chunk of the market for itself.
    I don't have much interest in the Wii-U, but the more I hear about the next Xbox & Playstation, the more I'm interested in the Wii-U. Needs games, though.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Not because of iOS, like everyone says, but just because the last gen consoles were sooo expensive to get functioning as intended (my ps3, a greatest hits copy if assassins creed, one extra controller, and an hdmi cable cost $700!!) and I don't think people will want to go through that 4 years after they just plunked in nearly $1000. I know I don't.
    4 years?
    Try 7.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Actually, everybody that i know that bought one also has a ps3 and a 360. As far as I can tell, the only people who are buying them are the hardcore set, which is why the ports sell poorly--the install base has access to better versions.
    Geeze, third parties still can't make better ports for better hardware? No wonder so many PC ports suck.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Geeze, third parties still can't make better ports for better hardware? No wonder so many PC ports suck.
    Supposedly Need for Speed WiiU is going to use the PC textures and other features for the WiiU version making it the "definitive" console version according to Criterion. Unfortunately, I don't know how much people will care considering it's a game that's already months old and if you're a hardcore racing gamer, you probably already have the game either on another console or the PC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Supposedly Need for Speed WiiU is going to use the PC textures and other features for the WiiU version making it the "definitive" console version according to Criterion. Unfortunately, I don't know how much people will care considering it's a game that's already months old and if you're a hardcore racing gamer, you probably already have the game either on another console or the PC.

It will be interesting to see if it's all marketing hyperbole, or if Criterion is really serious on this. The reviews of that game are going to be interesting. If I had a Wii U, I'd defintiely want to rent it and try it out. Especially if it supported off screen play (which I assume it would).

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

It would not surprise me if the Wii U is having slow sales. I myself as a Nintendo fan and a gamer ready to branch away from my 360 have not really seen any appeal in it. No "wow holy shit I want that!" kind of games, a weird ass controller that is like an iPad (I hate that I'm into old school gaming), and with a price that with my shitty allowance I can't afford, I'll stick to my NES. I mean retro gaming is getting a lot more attention recently, so I would have thought Nintendo would have gone back to their roots of regular controllers and kick ass games and franchises, but nope that would be too easy. Plus not a single person I know bought a Wii U or is even interested in one, and I'm a teenager who knows a lot of gamers. Nintendo needs to pull their shit together fast if they don't want to be pushed out of the market by IOS gaming.
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    It will be interesting to see if it's all marketing hyperbole, or if Criterion is really serious on this. The reviews of that game are going to be interesting. If I had a Wii U, I'd defintiely want to rent it and try it out. Especially if it supported off screen play (which I assume it would).
    It does.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's now safe to say the Wii U has poor sales. When the Vita sells more, you know your sales are low.

Thanks to the long overdue price drop in Japan, the Vita has sold just over 82,000 the week ending in March 2nd, in comparison to the Wii U's 27,000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm more interested in US sales. We should be finding out pretty soon how the Wii U sold in February.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

One thing I'd love to know is how much into the supposedly super low sales in January were due to the blowback from all the slime trying to prey on people during the holdays with heavily marked up WiiU systems that didn't sell? Early that month would be the end of your return ticket time for a 'gift purchase' so a lot of stuff could have gone back to the stores for a credit so that could have gummed up the works as much as those people who didn't have them just selling them for notably cheaper on craigslist and ebay to get rid of the systems and those wouldn't pop up on the sales radar either. I'm not saying the WiiU sold great in January but I believe there were other forces at work and it wasn't as bad as it appears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Even if they might have sold more in January, it's not like it hurt their overall sales. If resellers didn't buy the consoles in the first place, later off dumping the consoles off for cheaper than you can get them in store, then Nintendo wouldn't have made that sale, only the sale from the purchase who later purchased it at retail. $300-$350 may have been too expensive for alot of those people as well so without getting the deal they got on Craigslist, they may have never purchased them to begin with, so the sales may overall have been worse even if January and February sold a little bit better. It's not like there's really any incentive to buy the console full price when literally nothing has been coming out, so the resellers did Nintendo a favor by buying them thinking they'll sell like the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I honestly can't really see the Wii U sales increasing very much until Nintendo brings one of their heavy hitters. I don't think Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101 is going to do it. I'm sure both of those games are going to be fantastic games, but I just don't think they have enough appeal to get somebody to spend $400 to get the whole package. Especially when people already know about PS4 and will soon know about Xbox Infinity.

They need a really huge 1st party game. When is Mario Kart coming out ? When is the 3D Mario coming out ? When is the Yoshi game (with the epic yarn artstyle), and the wind waker remake coming (November ? ). Nintendo needs a big first party game, and they need it NOW. I mean, each month that goes by without having one of those big games is going to really hurt them. I don't think the Lego City game is going to get people to put a $400 charge on their credit card.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just talking to a friend about me playing a 3DS for the first time today. The screen hurt my eyes within seconds and so the lady lowered the setting but didnt turn it completely off so after a minute I had to turn the 3D completely off. The 3DS seems to have some good RPG's on it, but maybe the 3DS should die. Then Nintendo will put Pokemon on the Wii U and then the kids who want to play Pokemon that have made the handhelds sell big numbers will buy it.

But maybe what could happen if Nintendo ever gives up making home consoles, theyll stick to making handheld consoles. Theyre the only ones to do super well over the years. The 3DS lack of great sales is because of that stupid screen. The next handheld they release will do good if it doesnt have a screen that causes your eyes to bleed after playing for an hour.
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 03-09-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    I was just talking to a friend about me playing a 3DS for the first time today. The screen hurt my eyes within seconds and so the lady lowered the setting but didnt turn it completely off so after a minute I had to turn the 3D completely off. The 3DS seems to have some good RPG's on it, but maybe the 3DS should die. Then Nintendo will put Pokemon on the Wii U and then the kids who want to play Pokemon that have made the handhelds sell big numbers will buy it.

But maybe what could happen if Nintendo ever gives up making home consoles, theyll stick to making handheld consoles. Theyre the only ones to do super well over the years. The 3DS lack of great sales is because of that stupid screen. The next handheld they release will do good if it doesnt have a screen that causes your eyes to bleed after playing for an hour.
    I've found most games absolutely playable with the 3D mode turned off. I concur with you - it makes me ill to have it on, even for a few minutes. Alternately, though, I know people who don't seem to have issues with the 3D mode settings. I assume it's some defect with me. I also cannot play Perfect Dark on the N64 without starting to feel sick. But aside from that, it's a fun handheld, and I don't think the 3D stuff needs to be removed from the next iteration. I suspect that's not the cause of any sales issues that it had initially.