Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danawhitaker View Post
    I also cannot play Perfect Dark on the N64 without starting to feel sick.
    This is most likely due to motion sickness. We have a thread for that here though it's a few years old. From my experience fps games with dark colors and muddy textures are a sure way to get motion sickness, espeically when you run in them.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You aren't going to make much money off selling it.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So according to this the Wii U sold around 80,000 units during February. Thats an improvement over last month but um....they still have some work to do.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

That's only in the US. It was around 130,000 worldwide.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I honestly can't really see the Wii U sales increasing very much until Nintendo brings one of their heavy hitters. I don't think Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101 is going to do it. I'm sure both of those games are going to be fantastic games, but I just don't think they have enough appeal to get somebody to spend $400 to get the whole package. Especially when people already know about PS4 and will soon know about Xbox Infinity.

They need a really huge 1st party game. When is Mario Kart coming out ? When is the 3D Mario coming out ? When is the Yoshi game (with the epic yarn artstyle), and the wind waker remake coming (November ? ). Nintendo needs a big first party game, and they need it NOW. I mean, each month that goes by without having one of those big games is going to really hurt them. I don't think the Lego City game is going to get people to put a $400 charge on their credit card.

They need more than one. I don't know that many gamers willing to shell out $400 for a console in order to play one game which they'd still have to buy separately btw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    That's only in the US. It was around 130,000 worldwide.
    If thats true then it's even worst than I thought. 130,000 worldwide sales is less than half of what the 360 sold for February in the US alone. Like I said, they still have lots of work to do. How much longer before Nintendo's big games start to hit? I know they'll have stuff in the pipeline for the holidays but I think they need to start pushing out stuff before October to increase interest in the system before the other systems launch.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    How much longer before Nintendo's big games start to hit? I know they'll have stuff in the pipeline for the holidays but I think they need to start pushing out stuff before October to increase interest in the system before the other systems launch.
    I can't imagine them having any more than just ONE big title ready for the holidays. Most of the new stuff they show at E3 this year will be more than a year away from release. The new 3D Mario will most likely come out in mid to late 2014, and we probably won't see the new Zelda or Smash Bros. games until 2015.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    I can't imagine them having any more than just ONE big title ready for the holidays. Most of the new stuff they show at E3 this year will be more than a year away from release. The new 3D Mario will most likely come out in mid to late 2014, and we probably won't see the new Zelda or Smash Bros. games until 2015.

If this is true, then Nintendo will get what they deserve (failure). Seriously.... If you're going to release a new console, then you better have planned a couple of years ahead of time, and you have to have a bunch of studios banging away getting games ready for the launch window. All we got was NSMB U and Nintendoland, and we are still waiting on Pikmin 3. Are you going to tell me that they only had 3 of their development teams working on key games for their new system ? Only two of those 3 teams even have a game out right now. We are still waiting for the Pikmin game. We heard about a Mario Kart, that will supposedly be shown at e3. We've heard about a new 3D Mario, to be shown at e3. We know the Windwaker remake is coming, and the Yoshi game. Unfortunately, I think the earliest any of those games will be out, is probably like September.

I mean, Pikmin will make it out before September, but I'm not sure any of the other ones will. This is just extremely poor planning on Nintendo's part. How could they come out with a brand new system, and not have enough quality software to feed it, during the first couple of months. Only 2 games ?

If the Wii U ends up being a big failure for Nintendo, it will be a well earned failure. Hopefully they can learn from their mistakes, and come back hungrier on the next go-round

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a new IGN article on the slow Wii U sales:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/...es-look-dismal

"Nintendo's console sold just 57,000 units in January, managing to up that number to 64,000 in February. This is worse than any recorded week for the current-generation consoles (Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3). The Xbox was top of the hardware chart with 302,000."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Wish they'd do some quick HD collections to get some of their big franchises out.

I'd love to be able to buy Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, a collection of the two Super Mario Galaxy releases and Super Mario Sunshine, and a Zelda collection with Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. Judging by Dolphin, these games would make excellent candidates for HD rereleases.

Without such things, we could be in for a very long wait for some of these franchises to make appearances on the Wii U. Major console Zelda entries seem to take a good 4-5 years and Skyward Sword is only a year old for one example.
    Stumbled across this post of mine as I was searching for discussion on HD remasterings after recently playing through Wind Waker HD and the PS3's Team Ico Collection. All I can say is that Nintendo missed a huge opportunity here to economically fill some glaring gaps in the Wii U's lineup.

Wind Waker HD is so well done, I can only imagine what a full line of remasterings could've done. Instead, we're looking at not even getting a single Metroid title outside of some digital offerings that are unchanged on the Wii U. Imagine the Wind Waker HD treatment being applied to MPT and the two Super Mario Galaxys.

I bet it they could've even been outsourced to great effect. We've seen many of the best remasterings be outsourced rather than done in-house, allowing them to concentrate on new releases instead of reworking past glories.

Removing the constraints of standard definition could've made some of these modern classics feel brand new...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Had they done a players choice line of HD remasters I think there would have been a fair chance I'd have kept the system. I ditched the Wii and I'd feel fine having double dipped on some boosted up old GC games too. Even if I wasn't annoyed with the lack of others making games, at least the stream of quality every couple months or quarter would have been there with remasters to not get bored.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Ds player

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm wondering if Mario Maker will boost the sales or if any of the games this fall will. I'm looking forward to Mario Maker down the road. Starfox, Mario Tennis and Xenoblade. Much more than PS4 which I don't even know will come out this fall/winter, I gotta check that out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Mario Maker will undoubtedly boost sales compared to what it would've done without it.

But as we've seen time and time again with big AAA additions like Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Brothers 4, it's only going to provide a modest boost. For instance, in early January of 2014, Nintendo announced that Super Mario 3D World from the previous November had sold over 1 million units. An extremely optimistic figure for the number of systems it was primarily responsible for selling during the Wii U's 1 year anniversary during the Christmas 2013 shopping season is half a million units.

This was supposed to be the system's savior after a difficult time of it after its modestly successful launch the year before. Yet it had the lowest debut of a 3D Mario platformer in Japan, selling barely half of its initial shipment and just boosting console sales from 16,000 units the week before to 21,000 units. In the US, it debuted outside the top 10 on the NPD sales chart, managing a modest 215,000 copies during its first 8 days on the market. And even by May, it had only managed to surpass the 2 million mark. And by June of this year, it was still at a disappointing 4.30 million units sold.

Super Mario Maker, just like Super Mario 3D World, will undoubtedly help move Wii U consoles. But just like all the past saviors, it's not going to change much. It will hopefully manage to help Nintendo sell several hundred thousand consoles that otherwise wouldn't of been sold had Nintendo not had this title available for the upcoming Christmas season. But from a practical viewpoint, nothing will have changed for the Wii U's position.

It won't be the Wii U's belated sales counterpart to Wii Sports, which could manage some significant changes to the platform's market position. It's just going to be responsible for a fairly small uptick in sales. I firmly believe that the Wii U's that Super Mario Maker will sell, will be able to be counted in the thousands rather than the millions.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-12-2015 at 03:39 PM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I am tempted to buy a wii-u just for mario maker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just don't see Mario Maker selling systems, but it'll be a must buy for current owners. Not everyone wants to or has the time to design stages. Mind you I don't know a whole lot, does it have a full game on it too like LittleBigPlanet does? That would help a lot. The sad reality is most who want a WiiU and would keep it already have one. They also know the NX is going to put it out of its misery late next year or early going into 2017 so spending might end up being light other than for something rare and huge like that Zelda release.

I thikn if you want to see slow sales stop on WiiU, you'd need just a few big things. Drop the price by 1/2. Start reprinting games. Stock said games on any store shelf that will take them to be visually there. Remove head from ass, start running big regular ad spots touting the system exists and has all these great games.

Until they realize the price point, minimizing physical shipments, and not advertising for crap on major OFFLINE media (ie: TV, etc) nothing is going to help. If people don't know what you are and that you exist, plus have a price advantage so good it's stupid not to jump in, and with a wide selection of light blue boxes on the shelves with many games in them...they won't buy a damn thing. Hell if they did that I'd serious consider second thoughts into stupidly sinking into another again around that $125-150 mark, but they'd also have to have the games to back it up. Most people aren't going to want to pay above MSRP for used quality stuff like Pikmin 3 among others scalpers love to nail people on.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

tanooki is right they could be making good sales if they would advertise more in general and especially on price point and family/general audience friendliness. Look how well the wii did! No reason for wii u not to as well. I still want one and found I can get one from nintendo for $200 which is very reasonable if they could manage that at a brand new price with a game or perhaps lower I bet they'd sell very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They could manage it, but they won't do it. I know when the system came out what is it now 3 years ago, the tablet controller cost them over $100 in parts alone, assembly extra and they I think just barely broke even at the original $300 asking price for the basic and $350 for the deluxe model. Prices on parts, even specialized stuff goes down over time, they just refuse to accept reality and lower it because of their extreme losses over crappy sales. Sometimes you need to take the bullet and slash the cost to move more hardware to make up the short term loss of doing that. Move more systems, in turn move more games, and being a license seller to game makers you get bank off every single game published on the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pricing and advertising is all but inconsequential at this point. Barring something extreme like a huge price cut to $100, the only differences would be minor. Wii U's reputation is well established and it's well known that it's in its twilight. Nothing game changing is an easy move at this point.

For a significantly different result, they'd need a time machine and the benefit of hindsight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The delay of the next Legend of Zelda game on the Wii U suggests to me that Nintendo plans on releasing the title on the Wii U and NX at the same time. It'll be much like the release of Twilight Princess on the GC and Wii.

I don't think that Nintendo has learned anything from the mistakes that they have made with the Wii U. Unless they have unique 3rd party titles with solid support from Nintendo, the NX will suffer a similar fate as the Wii U.