Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's possible. But it also may do far better. You have to realize it's not really a console this time around if that rumor mill about the scalable hardware is correct. The NX launches as a handheld, and the game media, also will work on a consolized version of that shortly after when it arrives (and also if not bs that you can buy an optical drive for it to run WiiU stuff too.) If the stories are right or at least mostly right, you have a handheld system with physical (cards I guess like 3DS) and download as a choice on games. Good solid hardware that can perform better than the last gen stuff, probably closer but not up to snuff with what's out there now -- making it more on par like with the Shield console perhaps. Cheap games, normal games due to the DENA deal/co-op going on. They've not suffered anything like their consoles have for game developer support. If that still holds true then those handheld games would hit the NX console too so it could fare better, especially if any of those nice Android games can be easily ported over from a box like that Shield.

Too early to say until they man up and spill the beans, but if the stories are fairly right, they have a fighting chance unlike if they did another stupid underpowered console with another dumb unique idea that'll piss off game developers and standard non-Nintendo only suck-up gamers alike into ignoring it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It's possible. But it also may do far better. You have to realize it's not really a console this time around if that rumor mill about the scalable hardware is correct. The NX launches as a handheld, and the game media, also will work on a consolized version of that shortly after when it arrives (and also if not bs that you can buy an optical drive for it to run WiiU stuff too.) If the stories are right or at least mostly right, you have a handheld system with physical (cards I guess like 3DS) and download as a choice on games. Good solid hardware that can perform better than the last gen stuff, probably closer but not up to snuff with what's out there now -- making it more on par like with the Shield console perhaps. Cheap games, normal games due to the DENA deal/co-op going on. They've not suffered anything like their consoles have for game developer support. If that still holds true then those handheld games would hit the NX console too so it could fare better, especially if any of those nice Android games can be easily ported over from a box like that Shield.

Too early to say until they man up and spill the beans, but if the stories are fairly right, they have a fighting chance unlike if they did another stupid underpowered console with another dumb unique idea that'll piss off game developers and standard non-Nintendo only suck-up gamers alike into ignoring it.
    It's really hard to tell what it will be. I'm getting the impression that it will be a handheld device that will have a docking station to enable it to play the same games on a display within your home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah I'm wondering that myself. I've posted probably a couple years of speculation on this fact now and refining it as they do say concrete stuff in passing, about other projects or things, or their business evolution.

I see the way for them to survive is how they said that they want a 'scalable' platform. They've merged both their handheld and console divisions for hardware. They're also merging game design, latest being EAD and the other into 1 a week ago. They got in bed with DENA which gives them finally strong net support and backbone to use, but also they've been poking around a lot with Android/iOS stuff too and from that so far we have Pokemon Shuffle on both formats. They talked up having one piece of media to use. This also fits with the either or concept of having the NX be 2 systems but the console having beefier but same parts (like how a PC can have a mediocre or a bitchin video card where both games play just one looks a bit nicer) or they'll go the NEO GEO-X way and with a docking station for the handheld that has various USB ports, a controller, or the use of Wii/WiiU controllers/tablets since the rumor is there of an optional wiiU reading optical drive for the home version.

If they did get something like that out there using 1 game for 2 pieces of hardware and games always work on both, just prettier at home (if it's not a docking station solution) that can easily tap into the games of Android for instance, they could really rack up some serious backing on the eShop and physically too. I think going after the so called micro-console market would be more manageable for them to succeed than trying to go to the nose with sony and ms going forward as it's a lost cause not just really with gamers but third parties specifically.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Mario maker is selling systems.

at work since I ran out of the bundle people have been buying NSMB U and Mario Kart 8 bundles with Mario Maker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

While 3DS related, this news has been a common complaint about the Wii U and its failure to take advantage of its small but very decent back catalog of releases that many Wii U owners essentially missed out on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-selects-range

Want to bet that Nintendo of America doesn't follow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd say 50/50 they'd do it, if anything because the WiiU Splatoon short term sales denial aside isn't doing well and anything 3DS wise could help. I do agree the last 2 games on that list from that link are junk and really not worthy, but they are 1st party games so they work with what they got. I imagine why the Mario games aren't there is that because they've already been dropped to $30 and have been released in those RED boxes. Maybe they don't want to re-do them for a 3rd style release.

If they do them hopefully a second wave would have the likes of Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem along with Luigi's Mansion which was so-so too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

These rerelease programs always put a little filler in each wave and spread the gems around, rather than all the big hitters at once that are a few years old. As long as this isn't the end, I don't think that's a problem.

And add Ocarina of Time 3D to your list.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-28-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I have something against Nintendo calling the titles "Nintendo Selects." They're reprinting games, some of them the worst Nintendo titles in the library, because they ran out of stock and they can get some additional sales. Calling them Nintendo Selects, to the consumer, sounds like they're quality games, and aside from The Legend of Zelda A Link Between worlds and maybe Star Fox 64(it's okay,) they're not. It's not like Sony's Greatest Hits or Microsoft's Platinum hits where the games released the absolute best selling, so it's a safe assumption that these titles are higher quality games, these are just mediocre selling games compared to Nintendo's best selling and there's a reason why. Sure they sold in the millions, but write Mario on a paper bag and you'd sell a million copies to these blind Nintendo fans. Nintendogs, New Yoshi's Island, and Mario Party 3D are garbage.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Those programs have plenty of lesser titles in them as well. Go take a look at their lists someday.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Those programs have plenty of lesser titles in them as well. Go take a look at their lists someday.
    Yes they do, but Greatest Hits is always constant, it's always based on Sony titles that reach a million or more sales. Nintendo is merely trying to pawn off whatever cheap pieces of plastic they can to scam their customers through word play to get more sales through some of these garbage games than they should. I also don't remember Nintendo ever advertising a third party game as a Nintendo Select or Player's Choice.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, it's not.

Titles don't have to sell a million copies nor is it solely composed of the best of the best. There's no shortage of garbage that has been rereleased (And in some cases, released) under that banner.

And while somewhat rare, 3rd party releases have appeared in Nintendo's rerelease program through the years. Not nearly to the same extent as Sony and Microsoft's programs though. But still, there have been plenty of them just the same.

I just don't see how this is a bad thing as long it comes here, there are subsequent waves of rereleases, and they're properly priced at $20. But I just don't see today's Nintendo of America implementing something that makes so much sense. Europe has continually demonstrated that it's better ran than the North American arm throughout the past decade (Minus occasional issues like uploading crippled PAL versions of classics to the Virtual Console instead of superior NTSC versions).

I doubt that's going to suddenly be changing...
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-29-2015 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't see much changing either as NOA just doesn't care or think that much beyond what they think a close select population of fanboys will buy...basically shit in a bag with a picture of Mario or Zelda on it, and they'll happily put it between two pieces of bread and eat it whole claiming just how damn good that sandwich is and how we don't get it.

That said, If they can produce it so cheaply that $20 works for them with true minimal effort I could see the cheapskates do this one. And also notice how it's now called Nintendo Select's and not Player's Choice? They're selecting what you get, it's not based upon what players choose as great from total sales and popularity in reviewed compiled data. The old PC line they'd take all the write ins and internet votes on their TOP lists and cross that with stuff that sold at least a million. Those games would get in part end up in that line-up, and when they could get a third party on board that would happen as well like the old Super Star Wars games on SNES for example. These days with them being quietly clear their self centered library somewhat sucks around a few gems that fanboys just suck up, they don't have really any third party stuff that crosses the barrier to be a players choice so it was dropped. I don't buy they changed the name of the program to selects because they just wanted to rename it. They dropped player's choice when the player's who enjoyed variety bailed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually remember quite a bit of 3rd party material in the program on the GameCube, the last console with the Player's Choice banner.

I'm not sure much if anything did on the GBA, but the Player's Choice line was a very late addition and didn't see much activity outside of a handful of titles like Link to the Past and the Super Mario Advance lineup. Obvious choices, but I don't recall anything like Racing Gears Advance being included. Not even sure if there was more than 1 wave of rereleases on the GBA, unlike typical practice for a program like this to do a group of reissues once or twice a year over a period of years.

That said, 3rd parties carry a responsibility as well. While it's unfortunate that Nintendo doesn't have a program that will help identify popular older titles from 3rd parties that have been reprinted, it's not like they're unable to do reissues on their own. But what out of print 3rd party 3DS titles are people even clamoring for?

By and large, it's stuff like Ocarina of Time 3D that you see people hoping to see reprinted.

That said, If they can produce it so cheaply that $20 works for them with true minimal effort I could see the cheapskates do this one.
    I don't think that there's any doubt on this one.

But NOA seems willing to forgo such sales of older software to not only encourage the feeling that Nintendo games never drop in price, but that they can even become scare and inflated in value on the used marketplace later on. They want the customer to feel that it simply isn't worth waiting for such an event to happen and that now is their best opportunity to buy a Nintendo title that they're interested in.

But that there's plenty of profit in this concept isn't in question. The doubt is on if it's money that Nintendo of America is willing to seek.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-01-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's a fine example of how a 3rd party publisher can achieve the same effect...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Twilight Princess HD?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ht-princess-hd

After the initial discovery of the shop icon, I thought this all but assuredly was going to be for an unchanged Wii rerelease on the Wii U's eShop (Which contrary to Eurogamer's claim in the article, doesn't involve emulation of any kind). But the title that has now been spotted, "Twilight Princess HD", suggests another remaster.

Not a good sign of a 2016 release for Nintendo's next-gen platform or the arrival of Zelda U any time soon. In fact, I think this development, if true, creates serious doubt that we're going to see Nintendo follow-through with Zelda U on this platform at all. I find it highly unlikely that Nintendo will release a high profile 3D Zelda remaster on the Wii U the same year that they release Zelda U for it, and 2017 is going to be an awfully late in the Wii U's life for an AAA release.

I'd love a nice HD remaster of Twilight Princess, but I really hope to still be able to enjoy Zelda U on the Wii U someday. Can't help but think that this should've been Metroid Prime Trilogy instead.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-14-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I never could get into TP (still have it as it was a gift) but it was so wide open and boring places I stopped, and the save mechanism looses so much work if you don't just save it for town and cave/dungeon engines as they still were using that out of date save setup from the cartridge era. :\

If that isn't BS and it's real, forget it, it's over for WiiU and that's the apology release. They can take that Wii game (GC still better though of the two) and just bump it up since it already has normal control and waggle play on it. Placing that out they'd never do 2 console Zelda's of that scale in the same year. It will end up a NX release on their handheld which then will slide to the console if that story about it being a shared platform is accurate. Far better chance to make their money back and some nice profit versus propping up the zombie that is the WiiU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Twilight Princess HD confirmed for March. And Zelda U reconfirmed for a 2016 Wii U release.

I don't care what anyone says, this console has not only met my hopes for it, it has surpassed them. I have some complaints, but the software lineup definitely hasn't been one of them. Sure, I'd love to have seen something like Metroid U happen and a few more HD remasters, but I've been very pleased.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-12-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well cool for you there, must be a big Zelda fan. The direction they've taken the games in recent years I've kind of lost my way with it which is good or I'd be down about that kind of news. Games unlike you was the reason why I no longer have it, and I can honestly say I doubt I'd have bought either considering one I already have on the Cube and the other I don't like open world games. I do agree they really do need to milk their B-team mascot games which sadly I would include Metroid in that. WiiU would make a lot of people happy if they just went nuts and plopped stuff like F-Zero, Metroid, even a Kid Icarus 3DS follow up title on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

must be a big Zelda fan.
    If anything, that's an understatement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Glad you still enjoy them. Something about it when it went 3D never sat great with me. Ocarina I've finished just once, attempted a few other times but I get tired playing it. Majora I detest and that's an understatement. Wind Waker is the only one I really loved in 3D as it felt like a living cartoony old style Zelda to me. Twilight I've never done more than 1/2 of, it's just too wide open and sparse so I get really bored and the throwback last 'door' save style of it caused me enough losses when I've played it to just stop not wanting to do things again. Then you had Skyward Sword which story wise was fun as were the visuals, but I got bored with it and it wore me out doing all that 1:1 control so I stopped on that one like 2/3 into it. The 3DS entry I've never played more than 2 dungeons because the open world no direction design of it hugely put me off it as I liked the linear but non-linear looking design of the older stuff so I put that up over a year ago and intend to try it again but haven't. With the WiiU game coming being so open world that a teeny space on the WiiU panel is like a 20min walk I wrote that off entirely as I can't stand Skyrim type open area stuff. Open world Zelda to me is straight up the kiss of deaht. Zelda left me more than I left it, but I'm ok with that. I can always fire up my old carts still and I've been thinking of getting Minish Cap again as I never did finish it and it was ok.