Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Tupin's right twice.

1) STAY ON TOPIC
    2) Advertising sucked

Nintendo if people read up on some of their own pre-Wii U press stuff made it clear they had some supply line problems with the tablet controller to the point you can't buy a spare from them online nor at retail, just a few spares for warranty work until sometime in 2013. Since they were limited on those, no matter how many systems they make, you can't move them without the tablet controller. So in that, what reason would anyone consider it a good idea to advertise the hell out of the Wii U like they did for the Wii after what happened with those Wii sales explosions all through late 2006, 07 and early 08. Even with it out now I haven't heard much for them doing print ads, and I've only twice ever spotted a tv ad that shows a game and says Wii U on it showing the system in use. I remember seeing Wii ads when it came out like it was an election year.

Lack of advertising really did it, they went with just going low key really online allowing the Nintendo super fans to know it exists and to get it, but let it stop there probably to avoid some form of another Wii 2006 push when they knew they couldn't back up the demand with product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

At every console launch, I buy 3 consoles. One for me, and the other 2 on local ads and every time I get the money back for the console I kept, making it free! Well this time I only bought 2, kept the first one, and put the other on craigslist (its called kijiji in canada) for 550$ for a 150$ profit, never got a single call or email. I put it at 400$ a month ago, which is the price I paid with taxes, and got one call and a trade offer for a used ps2! The local ads are filled with brand new wiiu and I saw a lot of deluxe selling for less than the MSRP, even deluxe bundle on ebay. This is the most cold reaction I have seen for a console launch EVER, hardcore Nintendo fans bought it on day one and a lot of resellers, and I suspect the big stores will have a lot of returns of unused console from resellers after xmas. The number of consoles resellers bought is HUGE, just look your at your local craigslist and ebay. I remember Nintendo panicked with 3ds sitting on shelves, Im very curious to see what they will do. Im not sure even big names like zelda and mariokart will save this one. And yes, I like the console, its very cool tech and affordable, but I feel like keeping the wii brand and confusion for casual gamers with the regular wii might kill it. Its already filled with tons of shovelware a month after launch, people are pissed on miiverse and draw shovels everywhere on crappy game forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    That's not crazy, that's just Fry's.

I used to live like 5miles from one and they do weird crap every year many times of year holiday or not. Back when Uncharted 2 came out they sold it for $49.00 instead of $60 for example. They often do both advertised and unadvertised weirdo random sales on brand new stuff that just hits the stores or a week or two after they hit to draw people their way instead of elsewhere. I find it was like they randomly do weird Amazon like price slashes on all sorts of goods.
    Yeah, Fry's rocks!

I picked up Far Cry 3 for the PC from Fry's. They were selling it for $39.99 a couple of days after it came out. They always have bundle deals available for consoles and handhelds too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sherdog View Post
    I was pretty shocked that the 7 year old Xbox 360 out sold it.
    PS2 routinely outsold Xbox 360 for quite some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Tanooki's right about Nintendo's lack of advertising due to short supply. I bought on launch day and my 3rd grader was excited to tell their classmates about it the next morning at 'weekend share time'. None of the other kids had even heard of the Wii U. If kids don't know about it, and aren't begging their parents for it, it's not going to sell over the holidays.

Nintendo isn't desperate for sales... esp if they couldn't manufacture enough anyway... they can afford to wait and properly market the Wii U next Christmas. I'm just glad the scalpers 'lost' this time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I personally would love to see Nintendo come up with a new ip that doesn't overtax the CPU. Whether or not it utilizes the touch pad is inconsequential. But intelligent systems or ead could probably make something unique, fresh and fun. It's about time. These Mario and Zelda games are getting stale, and low in innovation.
    From E3 this year it kinda felt like Zombie U was their flagship title over Mario, they do need to make a new series. Bayonetta 2 should bring sales up though in February.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I just think the market's so much different from 2006. Back then, there wasn't a single iOS device. Cell phone gaming was a joke. Now you can play a fully featured RPG on your phone.

The name might have something to do with it, but I also think people's tastes are changing. Maybe we really are moving away from consoles and desktops to a world of multi-purpose phones and laptops....
    Agree with this except that laptops should be replaced with tablets. My family is not composed of gamers, and I know of at least three people that are getting tablets this year. My family requested them for several reasons: Its the computer that is portable, light, plays casual games, check facebook, and does not hog the TV screen, educational stuff etc. Dedicated game devices are just not cutting it anymore. While gaming consoles now are more than just gaming devices, the consumer is making choices that will appeal to wide range of uses. If I can get a tablet that can not only be a portable computer but also double down as a gaming device...why not? I am glad I waited on the Wii U. I feel that this years attention is not on a ton of dedicated gaming devices...it is the year of the tablet.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    PS2 routinely outsold Xbox 360 for quite some time.
    This is true, but the 360 was $300-$400 and the PS2 $99 or $149(not sure.) The $150-$250 or $200-300 difference then is a lot more than the $60-$110(PS3) and $100-$150(360) difference now.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    This isn't a thread to discuss whether or not the Wii was a worthy system. It was, you just had to know where to look. It absolutely was worth buying in around 2007, and if you don't own one by now you could probably find one for less than $80.

I think the problem was the lack of advertising. I barely ever saw ads for Wii games.
    You know what they say about opinions?

To discount the fact that a lot of people were turned off by the Wii is ignorant.

I specifically didn't purchase a Wii U because of my experiences with the Wii. And yeah, perhaps it does have a little to do with advertising since I HATE the Wii U commercial and the annoying noises in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The lack of advertising is definitely going against them. Although I haven't really seen any over the past few months I also don't watch alot of tv these days. I also think they blew it on the messaging. There are far too many people who have no idea if the Wii U is just an accessory for the Wii. I had to explain what it was to two mothers at a Best Buy a couple weeks ago and to two middle or high school girls last week at Walmart. Nintendo needs to get the word out and pronto.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

A lot of the people who I've heard complain "the Wii had no games" only played the yearly "big" Nintendo title and nothing else. The Wii was a treasure trove of hidden gems, and it's not like it's the 90s with no widespread Internet use so they couldn't be popularized. Games like Opoona, Little King's Story, and Xenoblade Chronicles were some of the best games to come out in their respective genres in years, but people only wanted to pay attention to what Nintendo had to offer, even when it was games that didn't deserve attention at all like Metroid: Other M.

Nintendo has been trying for two generations to get people to buy third-party games, and this continues with the Wii U and Bayonetta 2. However, it comes down to advertising, something Nintendo hasn't done a good job with in years.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The Wii has games that people miss out on that are good, like Final Fantasy Fables Chocobo Dungeon, Dokapon Kingdom, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Xenoblade, etc, etc, etc, but that's any system. Any system is going have hidden gems here and there that most people don't play but with the Wii, there isn't anything except those hidden gems that show off the library.

The PS360 have a massiive list of well known games, plus that same list of amazing games that most people haven't played. Stranglehold, Mirror's Edge, Army of Two 40th Day, Saboteur, Dante's Inferno, Vanquish, Bayonetta, etc, then exclusives per console as well, like 3D Dot Game Heroes, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, etc.

Like I've already said above, the Wii has just first party games and then the list of good games that most people haven't played. When every other system has a similar list of hidden gems, it's like saying. "Hey, there's a small list of hidden gems among a system with no games" compared to "Hey, there's a small list of hidden gems among all these other amazing games."

It's similar, but different than what happened with the PSP. With the PSP, every game was actually fairly good. It wasn't that the system had no games. The system was bashed from day one from having too many ports and remakes. Then because of piracy and it wasn't as successful as the DS, it didn't get too many releases each week. So the system had no games in everyone's opinion despite every game that came out for the system was usually a good game. At the initial launch of the 3DS the same happened, the same is happening for the Vita and still happening because of lack of third party support, and for right now, seems to be happening with the Wii U.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-24-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The local news where I live broadcast a story tonight about how hard it was to get a WiiU. The reporter was at Wal-Mart talking the manager, asking about when they were going to get some.

The second half of the report talked about the long download that happens win you plug it in. He went on to say that if you interrupted it during the process, the console would brick.

I have two thoughts about this. 1) I live in the same area and I saw lots of WiiU's (at least a week ago). None of the shoppers around the gaming area seemed interested in them. So obviously, it seems like the news story was a little cooked up.

2) This kind of reporting is actually what the console needs to sell. The "shortage" news stories always sells product, as it did with the Wii and Tickle Me Elmo.

I'm hoping the WiiU succeeds, but I wish they would do it by having great software. Right now, there's just nothing about it that makes me want to own it. The minute I see Metroid Prime 4 though, I'll be jumping in the car right and taking a trip to the store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if the Wii U sales are low enough, Nintendo will drop the price like they did with the 3DS? I'm holding off on buying a Wii U until they get some more games on it...but a price drop would probably be enough to get me to buy one too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    I wonder if the Wii U sales are low enough, Nintendo will drop the price like they did with the 3DS? I'm holding off on buying a Wii U until they get some more games on it...but a price drop would probably be enough to get me to buy one too.

I'm inclined to think that Nintendo came in a bit high with the price at $349.99 for the Deluxe version and $299 for the Basic. Both prices are probably $50 too high. Nintendo probably figured that demand would be strong enough, that they would sell out of their available stock, regardless. Doesn't seem like that's happening for them, but still, they were probably able to sell about 650,000 units, if not more, at this higher price, so maybe it will work out for them regardless. I'd expect a $50 price drop between March and May.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I'm hoping the WiiU succeeds, but I wish they would do it by having great software. Right now, there's just nothing about it that makes me want to own it.
    The last console with a strong successful launch was the dreamcast. PS2 sorta shotgun the whole "first game line-up = console success" argument into swiss cheese. Nowadays, it's ports, licensed moneymagnets, and one or two good standouts for the first year til' near the beginning of the second year where the console finally kickstarts into high gear. It happened to PS2. It happened for Wii. It happened for 360 and PS3. It'll happen again for WiiU and the same still for PS4/X720.

They should have sold the Basic Set @ $250 or bundled it with Nintendoland from the getgo, since the way it looks like, Nintendo's punishing their consumers for not buying a Delux Set.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    The last console with a strong successful launch was the dreamcast. PS2 sorta shotgun the whole "first game line-up = console success" argument into swiss cheese. Nowadays, it's ports, licensed moneymagnets, and one or two good standouts for the first year til' near the beginning of the second year where the console finally kickstarts into high gear. It happened to PS2. It happened for Wii. It happened for 360 and PS3. It'll happen again for WiiU and the same still for PS4/X720.
    I was just saying that's my preferred way for a console to be successful. Yep, PS2 didn't need a game that was a system seller since the Playstation name was at the height of its popularity at the time. They could have printed "Playstation" on a loaf of bread and it would have sold out. As far as the Wii, well, Wii Sports, as primitive as we see it today, probably sold a lot of systems.

Bottom line, if Nintendo had a huge, attention-grabbing game right now on the WiiU, then the thing would be selling BETTER. The New Mario Bros game is probably the closest they have to one, but the Mario franchise is getting a little fatigued right now.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They probably need to do home console of a Pokemon game, yeah its the sole reason they sell handhelds, but if the 3DS isnt a big seller then I say they bring Pokemon home.

Im sorry about my brown shooter comment, but Im just sick of how this generation of gaming is so focused on being "real" looking. I love 16 bit graphics much more than most games graphics nowadays, they look like CARTOONS! Yoshi's Island's graphics need to be redone with new games, itd look AMAZING in HD.

A new series of games would be great, instead of Wii Sports thing, come up wit ha new great mascot that fully utilizes the touchpad, and make it so the game play isnt forced on you using it instead of just looking at the tv and touching buttons on your controller to play the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    As far as the Wii, well, Wii Sports, as primitive as we see it today, probably sold a lot of systems.
    How come you're talking as if six years ago was ancient history now and that we can only take an educated guess that Wii Sports played a significant role in the console selling ~100 million systems?

It wasn't that long ago.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-26-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well as WCP pointed out, they came in probably $50 high. It was with intent. Did you miss the story that Iwata(I think it was him) admitted the pricing they did on the systems converts to needing to sell just one of their first party games to break even on the system at launch.

Knowing that and I'm sure that was based on the standard model since the big boy the spare stuff (game and all) were just toss in write offs had they taken the price down another $50 (black unit at $300, white at $250) it just would have been 2 games for them to sell to get paid. Given that Mario is one of those rare games that tends to damn near 1:1 sell with a system, it's not much of a stretch to assume someone would buy right off if not shortly after game #2 for the hardware and they'd be set.

If by American tax season closes they don't see a bump in sales I'd imagine they'd look into a price cut mid year I'd bet, and that would fall similarly in line with the time needed on the $50 price drop 3DS got before it started to fly off the shelf(and once they correct that ignorant error of keeping DS alive for 2years after it should have died off) it will help more not competing against itself which is now what WiiU is doing with the Wii (dumb move.) Get the old Wii the hell out of here with first party support and all forms of advertising and just scale it away through 2013 that'll help. Get the price down another $50 to be very competitive with the older slightly lesser capable hardware and they'll have a nice sweet spot to play in. That will also give more room for 2013 christmas or 2014 to aggressively drop it another $50 to screw with MS and Sony and their $400-500 costing system launches as they both thing everyone is made of money.