Thread: Recommended GBA Racing Games?

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Recommended GBA Racing Games?

I've played that utter crap out of Super Circuit, the F-Zero trilogy and the GT Advance series.

What other racing games are worth playing? Any hidden gems that people may have missed?
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ah, you've already played the crap out of the Japan only F-Zero Climax? Then sorry to say you've already experienced the best GBA racing game. That said, check out Konami Wai Wai Racing. It's basically a Mario Kart clone that came before Mario Kart Super Circuit and is in fact better than Super Circuit.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm going to double agree with Satoshi.

Wai Wai Racing aka 'Konami Krazy Racers' in the US is truly fantastic. The handling is better, tracks are more fun, items rebranded but mario kart stock, it's just an overall better title than Nintendo's effort which says a lot and it's dirt cheap as no one knows or cares about it.

F-Zero Climax I regret ever letting go of it but I was out of GBA for a time, wish I still had it. It has all the best aspects of F-Zero and FZero64 + the FZero 64DD addon as you can make your own courses and save up to 4 of them in your carts memory. The primary game has some crazy good courses, nice controls, and the a/v quality on it blows out GP Legend.

Another great suggestion though it's up to if its your thing would be V-Rally 3. It's a 3D racer, like the Saturn which also wasn't a 3D machine they both use the same techniques in software to render a very nice 3D course. It runs smooth, lots of tracks, good cars and rewards, has a few race modes too. Even has an in car view which is pretty decent.

I can't remember which but I do believe that out of all the racing garbage the GBA got NFS Underground 2 I recall got some popular buzz from people who enjoyed it but I never touched it so I don't know.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rock'N'Roll Racing. It is a remake of the SNES game, but who cares.....the game rocks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Oh yes, forgot about the GBA build of V-Rally 3. From the same developer, check out Stuntman. It's not a pure racing game, but it's pretty damn fantastic and its visually stunning, especially when you consider the GBA has no actual 3D capabilities and everything it accomplishes is done through hardware trickery.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Karnaaj Rally
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Many nice games yet to be mentioned (At least were when I started typing this, a few popped up before I hit reply). These include Racing Gears Advance, V-Rally 3 (Stick to the cockpit view though), Colin McRae Rally 2.0, Moto Racer Advance, MotoGP (Reminded me a lot of Super Burnout on the Jag), Karnaaj Rally, Sega Rally Championship, Rock 'N Roll Racing, and Top Gear Rally. Of these, the two must haves in my eyes would be Racing Gears Advance (I'm so very puzzled how this thread could have several replies yet not be mentioned ) and V-Rally 3. But all are solid games. The GBA is particularly blessed with several nice rally racers.

Ones I disliked that I've played include Top Gear GT (Looks nice in screenshots but it's pure garbage) and I suspect the entire Need for Speed series on the GBA. I've tried at least two entries for NFS on the GBA and disliked both of them and they're only good for seeing 3D on the GBA if you've never played a good 3D GBA game like V-Rally 3 (And I've tried and felt similarly about two DS entries that kept me away from purchasing any further releases... the entire DS platform is a wasteland pretty much for racers compared to quite a few average to excellent GBA releases).

Ones I intend to try but have yet to include Banjo Pilot, Stuntman, Hot Wheels Burnin' Rubber, Konami Krazy Racers, F1 2002, TOCA World Touring Cars, and NASCAR Heat 2002. You would think those three realistic racers sound destined to be junk on the GBA, but I've seen the occasional good thing about all three so they're on my to buy list even though I'm sure they're going to be B titles at best.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-22-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been trying out some of these games on VBA and I'm now going to buy Racing Gears Advance, Karnaaj Rally and V Rally 3. At least to start with!

I also really enjoy Konami Krazy Racers but I actually already own that one. It was a launch title over here if I remember rightly. I certainly got it early in the GBA's life that's for sure.
    Pretty Fly for a Doom Guy...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Need For Speed Underground 2 was pretty good, and I liked Sega Rally (it's a little rough, but there are a lot of tracks). Also, the Choro Q/Gadget Racers/Road Trip games are excellent, and I really enjoyed Top Gear Rally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

One thing to be aware of with Sega Rally (love the series from that era back) is that it's coded and handles pretty horribly and is a bit disorienting too. I have no idea what kind of funky weed the coders were on, but somehow they decided instead of redrawing the course it appears to just pivot the entire track around the car. It's a truly weird effect that looks entirely unnatural and along with the fact the cars love to slip around almost like on ice adds to the pain. I really wouldn't recommend that one, at least try it on an emulator to see if you can tolerate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never felt that was a problem for it. The biggest issue graphically for me with Sega Rally was all of the pixelation.

But most of these 3D style racers are best left on the small screen anyways and I don't think it's a deal breaker unless one wants to play it on a Game Boy Player.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are looking to play a racing title blended with an RPG, then look no further than the excellent Car Battler Joe. It controls like a Zelda game while you're in town, talking to people and accepting missions, but as soon as you step outside of town, it controls like a more open world F-zero with weapons. Sometimes you have to race against the clock or opponents, other times you have to destroy a certain amount of enemies or dig up a certain amount of loot. The real fun comes when you upgrade various parts of you car because you notice the improvements to gameplay right away.

I'm not a big RPG guy, so this game was recommended to me to ease me into the genre. It is so focused on the driving and combat that you lose sight of the RPG elements, and this would probably be a good recommendation for anyone into racing or RPGs.
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Car Battler Joe is pure uniquely awesome, a really fun game by Natsume (Harvest Moon people.) One part mode7 racer, one part RPG, and one part mad max type world with an anime coat of paint. I have to throw another vote in and wish I hadn't forgot to write it up myself first. I just was thinking straight racers and forgot this one which I discovered maybe just 5 years ago and it's fantastic and outright unique for the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Car Battler Joe is pure uniquely awesome, a really fun game by Natsume (Harvest Moon people.) One part mode7 racer, one part RPG, and one part mad max type world with an anime coat of paint. I have to throw another vote in and wish I hadn't forgot to write it up myself first. I just was thinking straight racers and forgot this one which I discovered maybe just 5 years ago and it's fantastic and outright unique for the system.
    Car Battler Joe was done by Yuzo Koshiro's design team (Ancient). It is the sequel to VATLVA on the Saturn. I can also give it a strong recommendation if you're flexible in what you consider a racing game, or if you just want the most unique car-RPG ever made.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 12-28-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) zakthedodo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Drome Racers is pretty fun.
    Looks like Segas' Virtua Racing. Nice looking graphics for the GBA and pretty solid gameplay.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/915161-drome-racers/images