Thread: TV out on the PSP (Go)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default TV out on the PSP (Go)

Apologies for dredging this up again. Is it correct that, since the PSP has a vertical resolution of 272 pixels, there is no way it will vertically fill a 4:3 screen via composite output without some form of external scaler?

That's kind of disappointing.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You can try using the Fusa plugin. I've never used it, but here's a video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b53cX0yWrMA
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doesn't matter if it's the composite or component output cable, the PSP has a strange video resolution and doesn't 'fit' properly on most TVs or monitors.

One exception is the 24" Playstation 3D Display that was sold for the PS3. It actually has a PSP mode that properly scales the output to fill the screen. They've been on sale for $99 recently at both Best Buy and Gamestop. Not sure how many are left but they might be even cheaper on clearance after the holidays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Apologies for dredging this up again. Is it correct that, since the PSP has a vertical resolution of 272 pixels, there is no way it will vertically fill a 4:3 screen via composite output without some form of external scaler?

That's kind of disappointing.
    You'd rarely want to, except for special cases like emulators. PSP games are much closer to 16:9 than 4:3.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

PSP games are 16:9.

The aspect ratio is off because the pixel proportions on a PSP are different than a television's. And since the PSP can't upscale PSP games, you're stuck with an incorrect AR on your television since 1 pixel of a PSP game being displayed as 1 pixel on your television leads to a screwed up aspect ratio.

I'd love to hear more about how this Sony television handles the PSP since that's the first I've heard of it having that capability (And with the death of the PSP, everything I can dig up deals with how it handles the PS3). The best solution I've found so far for tv/out was a 3rd party external scaler that allows full screen tv/out on a HDTV.

But that introduces some noticeable input lag.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-22-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, my big LG flatscreen already has a built-in zoom function. This does kind of severely limit the utility of the PSP as a convenient media display device, though.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The zoom function of a normal tv is of somewhat limited utility with a PSP. It doesn't correct the aspect ratio and you're still going to have borders of some sort or perhaps even cut off a bit of the playing field.

As a media display device, the PSP is able to upscale everything on its own so it's a non issue. It's when playing PSP games that you encounter issues with the tv/out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The zoom function of a normal tv is of somewhat limited utility with a PSP. It doesn't correct the aspect ratio and you're still going to have borders of some sort or perhaps even cut off a bit of the playing field.
    Well, it works for me, mostly. (The TV can set the aspect ratio, too.) Actually it can't quite zoom far enough.

As a media display device, the PSP is able to upscale everything on its own so it's a non issue. It's when playing PSP games that you encounter issues with the tv/out.
    The image viewer in particular has black bars on the top and bottom, at least in 4:3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Well, it works for me, mostly. (The TV can set the aspect ratio, too.) Actually it can't quite zoom far enough.
    However the end result is though, I'm glad it works out well for you.

Depending on the native resolution of one's tv, the output during gameplay on the PSP can be awfully small. So zoom is certainly a handy tv feature to have.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-23-2012 at 04:21 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I'd love to hear more about how this Sony television handles the PSP since that's the first I've heard of it having that capability
    This review has info on using a PSP with the Playstation 3D Display:
    http://radewagon.blogspot.com/2011/1...th-review.html

There's a small section about halfway through the review... or just search for 'PSP Zoom'.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

dont know if this helps at all, but ps1 games scale to fit the whole screen on the pspgo, im not sure but i dont think this was possible on the other versions of the psp
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm pretty sure that at least the 3000 can do similarly with Playstation games. I'm almost sure I've outputted a Playstation game to my tv at the correct 4:3 AR from my 3000 before. And it seems as if I've seen it stated that PSP Minis and the TG16 and Neo Geo downloads might be scaled as well when using tv/out (But I've kept my Minis on my PS3 and I've only purchased the PS3 versions of the TG16 and Neo Geo downloads so I can't go and check).

I actually found that review the other night after posting this and found it quite useful (But thanks very much for locating it and posting it). Was enough of a confirmation for me that it indeed does this and that it seems to do it well enough to be a worthwhile addition to a PSP collection. So this is getting added to my to buy list.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-23-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to this thread and to a good boxing day sale on the PS3 3D display, I can finally play psp games in full screen!

Thanks everyone

edit: I was going to go out and buy the ps3 bluetooth/IR remote (ver 2.0) as per that review, but I've found that any sony TV remote will work with this 3d display, which I have extras of as I typically use logitech harmony remotes. Well done Sony!
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 12-28-2012 at 08:25 AM.