Thread: What about next generation gaming consoles?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What about next generation gaming consoles?

I see the Wii U beat everyone to the punch, but what do you think microsoft and sony will do to put out their next generation systems? I hear the Xbox 720 release date should be coming sometime in 2013, and the PlayStation 4 sometime after that.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

With how well the WiiU is doing I think microsoft and sony have plenty of time to plot their evil schemes

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Watch Dogs is open world, but has better graphics than most non open world console games and has so many characters and objects on screen at once. PC will obviously be better, but if it's a next gen launch title, then console and PC quality should be mostly similar for the next couple of years.

The PS4/720 will be the main choice for most people since they'll share most of the multiconsole titles. The Wii U, like the Wii is a generation behind and is more than likely going to be purchased for the exclusives that aren't on the other systems. Usually the way it's been for the past few Nintendo consoles. The Gamecube wasn't a generation behind, but it was the least played for me of that gen so it was an exclusives console for me.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-22-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    With how well the WiiU is doing I think microsoft and sony have plenty of time to plot their evil schemes
    I could honestly be very happy with the current slate of 360 and PS3 games for another two years but I'm almost certain atleast one will be launching a new system next year. Theres so much good stuff on each system already and my backlog isn't getting any smaller. And when you consider all the apps they keep adding there are literally years of entertainment to still get out of each system. As for Nintendo, they will pick up steam once they start releasing more or new Mario, Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon titles for the Wii U.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most people seem to think it's an absolute given that next-gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony are coming in Fall 2013. There are a number of reasons to believe it's a forgone conclusion:

Reason #1 - It seems that 2013 is extremely front loaded with big releases, with hardly anything of note coming in the fall of 2013. It seems as though Microsoft and Sony are "clearing the decks", for their console launches.

Reason #2 - This guy at Kotaku did this investigative thing, where he analyzed Game Informer covers and noticed that Game Informer hasn't had any covers promoting any big games that would be arriving after summer 2013. The theory being that they aren't allowed to show any of the big games coming in Fall 2013, because those big games are on unannounced consoles.

At the same time, there are also pundits like Michael Pachter, that believe that Microsoft is NOT releasing a new console in 2013. His theory is that the Xbox 360 is still selling too well for Microsoft to pull the plug on the 360. He thinks a Spring 2014 launch is more likely, with Microsoft wanting to "milk" one last Xmas with only the 360 on the menu. He said that he thinks that Sony's new console will actually arrive fall of 2013, but not the new Xbox.

GDC will be interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

True but as far as front loading goes, it happens every year because people hide all the crap from near to post e3 so they can do their usual attention whoring media blowouts for the show. All I do know (brother works for a third party) is MS is targeting late 2013 or into 2014 and Sony comes after on their heels. The look of the hardware won't be a WiivsPS3 blowout by any means, but it will harm third party interest in Nintendo after a couple of years. The systems will surely look and work nicer, but it's because there will be more cpu, more ram, more fluff in there that will allow more to be done on screen.

Say if you have one of those Koei 'Warriors' games with 100 dudes on screen. WiiU will have the 100 people, decent detail on the lesser players and insane on the guys right with you or their leaders, solid area detailing on structures and ground, lots of little touches, and the big boys will have wise AI and the grunts will have small sparks of intelligence but mostly just walking targets as with PS3 now more or less. Then when these new PS3/XB things pop up you'll take that base the WiiU has, but then give more brains to more soldiers, more detailing on everyone and every structure, maybe more independent environment movement like how Flower does with leaves and grass on PSN, and other touches like that.

Due to that I think 1-2 years into their lives less ports will happen straight up to WiiU noticeably but some will still happen for sure, it just won't be the games that need all the truly high levels of AI, detailing and the rest, but more simple to port stuff maybe like a FPS game sure why not? I just don't see the bitching, whining and anti-Nintendo fanboyism from third parties being as easily gotten away with this go around as they gave developers what they wanted with HD and a lot of other things too. Another key factor though IS Nintendo, if they can't get like 10+mil units out there by the time the other guys are and with solid sales on third parties, I could see the bastards using it as a whiny excuse platform to ignore the system or train their B-team peons on making games using the WiiU as the Wii-like dumping ground clearly was.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I'm in no rush I have lots of catching up to do with the current gen