Thread: Who here has a complete SNES loose cart collection and how long did it take you to get them all?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who here has a complete SNES loose cart collection and how long did it take you to get them all?

I'm curious... Who here has a complete North American SNES loose cart collection and how many years/months did it take you to get them all? Let's not fuss about competition carts and south american games. Let's just run with the ~720 games as the definition of "complete" for the purposes of this thread.

Does anyone have all the manuals as well? How long did those take? I'm well into my manual collection as well, but I figure it'll take me longer to finish that.

I have 429 unique games in my collection with all rares out of the way and am looking to rapidly complete mine. ...just wondering how long it has taken others.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Informationator; 12-22-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm nowhere near at about 175. But I'm not really trying for complete at the moment. More like complete as far as what I actually want.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Twin Paradox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

I just completed my cart only snes collection last year with the help of some kind people on this forum and nintendoage. I informally started collecting about 12 years ago, but didn't really get serious until I had a decent, steady paying job (about 5 years ago). I went the 724 cart route which included ISS, ISSD, both competition carts and super noahs ark. I am not sure if I would recommend going after those lol. The time it takes to complete your collection will depend on your income, proximity to retro game shops/flea markets, connections to other forum members, willingness to trade other games/other systems, and a little bit of luck. If i can give a little bit of advice I would say set aside a little bit of money each time you get paid and spend it on your collection. Make sure you leave your self a financial cushion in case life throws you some craziness. Before you know it you will have every snes game at your finger tips.

I considered going after manuals and boxes but became quickly discouraged at how elusive and expensive some of them can be. Not to mention the boxes are so flimsy and so susceptible to damage. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
    It's official, my snes cart only collection is complete! The collection includes both competition carts, ISS, ISSD, EMBR/SR and Super Noah's Ark 3D.

Please check out my video game cover music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Informationator View Post
    I'm curious... Who here has a complete North American SNES loose cart collection and how many years/months did it take you to get them all? Let's not fuss about competition carts and south american games. Let's just run with the ~720 games as the definition of "complete" for the purposes of this thread.

Does anyone have all the manuals as well? How long did those take? I'm well into my manual collection as well, but I figure it'll take me longer to finish that.

I have 429 unique games in my collection with all rares out of the way and am looking to rapidly complete mine. ...just wondering how long it has taken others.

Thanks!
    Nice bro. Congrats on 429 and counting. Well, I myself was never into the whole "complete 700+ US SNES game library" thing. I will just say I don't care to have Barbie's Vacation in my library haha but I do get and understand the appeal of having every last SNES title in one's collection. It's just not for me. What I did do though, back in January 2006 was compile a list of all the US SNES games that interested me enough to buy. Turns out it was right at 400 (with a few more titles added to it over the years). I do have over 400 CIB SNES games, and luckily, it took me from 2006-2007 for the majority of them. Took care of a few others throughout the years 2008-2011, with my final buy being earlier this year for the elusive and super expensive 3 Ninjas Kick Back box. I now consider my SNES library to be "complete" (in my eyes) for the most part. I haven't bought anything since the 3NKB box, and likely won't in the future, unless I run across some crazy bargain deal at a thrift shop, or maybe to replace a not so good manual or box. For the most part though, I am satisfied with my collection as currently composed

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Paradox View Post
    I considered going after manuals and boxes but became quickly discouraged at how elusive and expensive some of them can be. Not to mention the boxes are so flimsy and so susceptible to damage. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
    First off, congrats on the complete cart collection. I remember seeing you around when I posted a lot here back in the day. Same avatar haha it's good to see some things never change.

I was really lucky in that back in the year 2007, I happened to meet a lady off eBay who sold me literally like 200 SNES boxes and 200 SNES manuals for a good deal. They were mostly in very good condition, too! Getting that much at once gave me the drive and impetus to complete the other 200 or so games left in my US library. I couldn't stop at the halfway point, that'd be like watching a movie and leaving with the final 20 minutes still left to show! So in my case I was real lucky. That once in a lifetime sort of win drove me to believing it was possible and gave me the drive necessary to go for it. I ended up paying a lot but you know what? If I go back and calculate how much I spent, it would be peanuts compared to the kind of prices I'd have to pay today.

You are right Twin in that luck plays a role. Had I never met that kind lady from Minnesota, I don't think I would have gone for CIB, or at least, spent the kind of relatively inexpensive $ that I did to get all 400+ US SNES games CIB

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    First off, congrats on the complete cart collection. I remember seeing you around when I posted a lot here back in the day. Same avatar haha it's good to see some things never change.
    Thank you, sir. I can't believe the day ever arrived haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I was really lucky in that back in the year 2007, I happened to meet a lady off eBay who sold me literally like 200 SNES boxes and 200 SNES manuals for a good deal. They were mostly in very good condition, too!
    Dude that is so awesome. I love when opportunities like that just fall into your lap. You are right about those types of events giving you the motivation to keep going. Congrats on your awesome CIB collection man. That is no easy accomplishment.
    It's official, my snes cart only collection is complete! The collection includes both competition carts, ISS, ISSD, EMBR/SR and Super Noah's Ark 3D.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you both for your responses

Steven - I'm sure getting that 3NKB box was quite the adventure. I only very recently picked up the manual to that game myself. It was a crazy trade that at least 10 other people wanted to make happen. I suppose there's an element of chance in everyone's collection :P - I had all but given up on ever getting that manual and the AeroFighters manual until the opportunity presented itself for me to get both in one trade. I also had a "big buy" once where I got 144 unique manuals and a bunch of CIB uncommons from a NintendoAge member. The price wasn't amazing... ...but it kickstarted my manual collecting for sure. I don't know my total count for manuals right now but it's probably close to 500 uniques with all of the worst rares out of the way (3NKB, AeroFighters, Casper, all the blockbuster exclusives)

Twin Paradox - "I can't believe that day ever arrived". Every single day I do this, it feels impossible. I just keep chipping away, upgrading carts as I can, adding uniques, buying up large lots with games I need... Even since I last wrote my "official" total has risen to 430 and I have 9 more uniques sitting on my desk waiting to be cleaned and officially added. It's really hard to grasp the sheer magnitude of what it takes to amass a complete SNES cart collection (let alone a complete manual collection too...). Yet, here I am, already about 60% done with the worst of it behind me. I can't even count the number of hours I've spent on this stuff. At this point I have no interest in competition carts. They'd have been nice for the novelty back when they were 100 bucks a piece, but now that they're worth $1,500 together... forget it. I'm not paying 1.5 grand for two games that I already have the full version of. I do have Super Noah's Ark 3D and ISSD though Not going for ISS or Super Copa - just too much trouble/cost and they're not really part of the NA library anyway.

The only people who will ever really know the madness it takes to complete a collection are the ones who have actually attained them... I wonder how many of us there are. A hundred in the world? Fifty? Less? All I have left are commons and uncommons. ...it's only a matter of time...

In any case, it's fun chatting with others who know the joys and pains of complete collecting :P

EDIT: By the way, I'm a mod over on http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting

If you haven't checked us out, definitely hop on over. It's always nice to have some more experienced members join our community (~10,000 members so far)
    Last edited by Informationator; 12-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

At this point I have no interest in competition carts. They'd have been nice for the novelty back when they were 100 bucks a piece, but now that they're worth $1,500 together... forget it. I'm not paying 1.5 grand for two games that I already have the full version of. I do have Super Noah's Ark 3D and ISSD though Not going for ISS or Super Copa - just too much trouble/cost and they're not really part of the NA library anyway.
    I totally see your point here. I often think if the money I spend on those titles was really worth it lol. I figure at the very least I am preserving history, though.

In any case, it's fun chatting with others who know the joys and pains of complete collecting :P
    I totally agree. It's so nice talking with people who understand the drive to collect. I have come across so many people that hear about my collection and say something ignorant like "You know you can just get an snes emulator and a rom set for free, right?"

EDIT: By the way, I'm a mod over on http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting

If you haven't checked us out, definitely hop on over. It's always nice to have some more experienced members join our community (~10,000 members so far)
    I will absolutely check you guys out. I enjoyed chatting with you, dude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally agree. It's so nice talking with people who understand the drive to collect. I have come across so many people that hear about my collection and say something ignorant like "You know you can just get an snes emulator and a rom set for free, right?"
    These people should be tarred and feathered then sent on their way.