Thread: Who here has a complete SNES loose cart collection and how long did it take you to get them all?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Who here has a complete SNES loose cart collection and how long did it take you to get them all?

I'm curious... Who here has a complete North American SNES loose cart collection and how many years/months did it take you to get them all? Let's not fuss about competition carts and south american games. Let's just run with the ~720 games as the definition of "complete" for the purposes of this thread.

Does anyone have all the manuals as well? How long did those take? I'm well into my manual collection as well, but I figure it'll take me longer to finish that.

I have 429 unique games in my collection with all rares out of the way and am looking to rapidly complete mine. ...just wondering how long it has taken others.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Informationator; 12-22-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm nowhere near at about 175. But I'm not really trying for complete at the moment. More like complete as far as what I actually want.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Twin Paradox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

I just completed my cart only snes collection last year with the help of some kind people on this forum and nintendoage. I informally started collecting about 12 years ago, but didn't really get serious until I had a decent, steady paying job (about 5 years ago). I went the 724 cart route which included ISS, ISSD, both competition carts and super noahs ark. I am not sure if I would recommend going after those lol. The time it takes to complete your collection will depend on your income, proximity to retro game shops/flea markets, connections to other forum members, willingness to trade other games/other systems, and a little bit of luck. If i can give a little bit of advice I would say set aside a little bit of money each time you get paid and spend it on your collection. Make sure you leave your self a financial cushion in case life throws you some craziness. Before you know it you will have every snes game at your finger tips.

I considered going after manuals and boxes but became quickly discouraged at how elusive and expensive some of them can be. Not to mention the boxes are so flimsy and so susceptible to damage. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
    It's official, my snes cart only collection is complete! The collection includes both competition carts, ISS, ISSD, EMBR/SR and Super Noah's Ark 3D.

Please check out my video game cover music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Informationator View Post
    I'm curious... Who here has a complete North American SNES loose cart collection and how many years/months did it take you to get them all? Let's not fuss about competition carts and south american games. Let's just run with the ~720 games as the definition of "complete" for the purposes of this thread.

Does anyone have all the manuals as well? How long did those take? I'm well into my manual collection as well, but I figure it'll take me longer to finish that.

I have 429 unique games in my collection with all rares out of the way and am looking to rapidly complete mine. ...just wondering how long it has taken others.

Thanks!
    Nice bro. Congrats on 429 and counting. Well, I myself was never into the whole "complete 700+ US SNES game library" thing. I will just say I don't care to have Barbie's Vacation in my library haha but I do get and understand the appeal of having every last SNES title in one's collection. It's just not for me. What I did do though, back in January 2006 was compile a list of all the US SNES games that interested me enough to buy. Turns out it was right at 400 (with a few more titles added to it over the years). I do have over 400 CIB SNES games, and luckily, it took me from 2006-2007 for the majority of them. Took care of a few others throughout the years 2008-2011, with my final buy being earlier this year for the elusive and super expensive 3 Ninjas Kick Back box. I now consider my SNES library to be "complete" (in my eyes) for the most part. I haven't bought anything since the 3NKB box, and likely won't in the future, unless I run across some crazy bargain deal at a thrift shop, or maybe to replace a not so good manual or box. For the most part though, I am satisfied with my collection as currently composed

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Paradox View Post
    I considered going after manuals and boxes but became quickly discouraged at how elusive and expensive some of them can be. Not to mention the boxes are so flimsy and so susceptible to damage. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.
    First off, congrats on the complete cart collection. I remember seeing you around when I posted a lot here back in the day. Same avatar haha it's good to see some things never change.

I was really lucky in that back in the year 2007, I happened to meet a lady off eBay who sold me literally like 200 SNES boxes and 200 SNES manuals for a good deal. They were mostly in very good condition, too! Getting that much at once gave me the drive and impetus to complete the other 200 or so games left in my US library. I couldn't stop at the halfway point, that'd be like watching a movie and leaving with the final 20 minutes still left to show! So in my case I was real lucky. That once in a lifetime sort of win drove me to believing it was possible and gave me the drive necessary to go for it. I ended up paying a lot but you know what? If I go back and calculate how much I spent, it would be peanuts compared to the kind of prices I'd have to pay today.

You are right Twin in that luck plays a role. Had I never met that kind lady from Minnesota, I don't think I would have gone for CIB, or at least, spent the kind of relatively inexpensive $ that I did to get all 400+ US SNES games CIB

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    First off, congrats on the complete cart collection. I remember seeing you around when I posted a lot here back in the day. Same avatar haha it's good to see some things never change.
    Thank you, sir. I can't believe the day ever arrived haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I was really lucky in that back in the year 2007, I happened to meet a lady off eBay who sold me literally like 200 SNES boxes and 200 SNES manuals for a good deal. They were mostly in very good condition, too!
    Dude that is so awesome. I love when opportunities like that just fall into your lap. You are right about those types of events giving you the motivation to keep going. Congrats on your awesome CIB collection man. That is no easy accomplishment.
    It's official, my snes cart only collection is complete! The collection includes both competition carts, ISS, ISSD, EMBR/SR and Super Noah's Ark 3D.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you both for your responses

Steven - I'm sure getting that 3NKB box was quite the adventure. I only very recently picked up the manual to that game myself. It was a crazy trade that at least 10 other people wanted to make happen. I suppose there's an element of chance in everyone's collection :P - I had all but given up on ever getting that manual and the AeroFighters manual until the opportunity presented itself for me to get both in one trade. I also had a "big buy" once where I got 144 unique manuals and a bunch of CIB uncommons from a NintendoAge member. The price wasn't amazing... ...but it kickstarted my manual collecting for sure. I don't know my total count for manuals right now but it's probably close to 500 uniques with all of the worst rares out of the way (3NKB, AeroFighters, Casper, all the blockbuster exclusives)

Twin Paradox - "I can't believe that day ever arrived". Every single day I do this, it feels impossible. I just keep chipping away, upgrading carts as I can, adding uniques, buying up large lots with games I need... Even since I last wrote my "official" total has risen to 430 and I have 9 more uniques sitting on my desk waiting to be cleaned and officially added. It's really hard to grasp the sheer magnitude of what it takes to amass a complete SNES cart collection (let alone a complete manual collection too...). Yet, here I am, already about 60% done with the worst of it behind me. I can't even count the number of hours I've spent on this stuff. At this point I have no interest in competition carts. They'd have been nice for the novelty back when they were 100 bucks a piece, but now that they're worth $1,500 together... forget it. I'm not paying 1.5 grand for two games that I already have the full version of. I do have Super Noah's Ark 3D and ISSD though Not going for ISS or Super Copa - just too much trouble/cost and they're not really part of the NA library anyway.

The only people who will ever really know the madness it takes to complete a collection are the ones who have actually attained them... I wonder how many of us there are. A hundred in the world? Fifty? Less? All I have left are commons and uncommons. ...it's only a matter of time...

In any case, it's fun chatting with others who know the joys and pains of complete collecting :P

EDIT: By the way, I'm a mod over on http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting

If you haven't checked us out, definitely hop on over. It's always nice to have some more experienced members join our community (~10,000 members so far)
    Last edited by Informationator; 12-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Twin Paradox

At this point I have no interest in competition carts. They'd have been nice for the novelty back when they were 100 bucks a piece, but now that they're worth $1,500 together... forget it. I'm not paying 1.5 grand for two games that I already have the full version of. I do have Super Noah's Ark 3D and ISSD though Not going for ISS or Super Copa - just too much trouble/cost and they're not really part of the NA library anyway.
    I totally see your point here. I often think if the money I spend on those titles was really worth it lol. I figure at the very least I am preserving history, though.

In any case, it's fun chatting with others who know the joys and pains of complete collecting :P
    I totally agree. It's so nice talking with people who understand the drive to collect. I have come across so many people that hear about my collection and say something ignorant like "You know you can just get an snes emulator and a rom set for free, right?"

EDIT: By the way, I'm a mod over on http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting

If you haven't checked us out, definitely hop on over. It's always nice to have some more experienced members join our community (~10,000 members so far)
    I will absolutely check you guys out. I enjoyed chatting with you, dude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I totally agree. It's so nice talking with people who understand the drive to collect. I have come across so many people that hear about my collection and say something ignorant like "You know you can just get an snes emulator and a rom set for free, right?"
    These people should be tarred and feathered then sent on their way.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completed my cart-only set about three months ago, which included the competition carts and the South American games. It took me about 12 years to collect them all, although I was doing very little collecting in my college years. I decided I wanted to complete the set at about age 14 and I finally did at age 26, (a strange goal for a kid, I know.) I have been meaning to do a write up of my recent success here on Digital Press, thanking various people including forum members for helping me out, but I haven't quite gotten around to it yet. I am really thankful to everyone that helped.

A lot of my success involved collecting a large sum right when SNES games hit their price floor, probably between 2000-2003. Gamestop was clearing out their stock, (not that I got much from them, but it puts the time into reference), and it was really easy to find games for next to nothing. Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 was all the rage back then and some N64 and PS1 games held some value in the secondary markets, but nobody cared about SNES and Genny stuff at that time. I was able to clean up pawn shops and thrift stores back then just because it was the right time to buy, which is not something you can get away with today, (unless you're into GBA/PSP/XB/PS2/GC games, then it's the perfect time to buy.)

My advice? Well, I'll try to be brief:
    - Always ask at garage sales or pawn shops. You never know what they'll have in the back.
    - Don't be afraid to buy large lots, even if there are a lot of dupes. You can always resell and DP is a great place to do it. I have purchased lots that cost over $400 multiple times and this is really the way to go. You have less competition buying them because not everyone wants to buy everything. Each time I was able to add to my own collection basically for free, while usually reselling everything else and still making a profit. Look for people trying to sell their entire collection, or a storage unit, or just a huge lot. These people are usually easy to haggle with because they want it gone and you'll also be giving them way more money than Gamestop or a pawn shop would, so it's a win/win.
    - Don't be afraid to buy games that aren't complete or are in crappy condition. You can always upgrade later and it makes for easier buying decisions. That is, it will be easier for you to buy a Super Mario RPG in excellent condition for $30 when you know that you can sell the one you already have in rough condition for $20 plus. You can look at it as only a $5 -$10 expense as opposed to just a standard $30 expense, and this also always keeps the hunt alive.
    - Go after the rare games first. The seem to be inflating at quite the stellar rate
    - Chase after Craigslist ads if you have the time. I purchased a whole SNES system lot, Super Scope, and a eight games for $75. I had all the games already except for one, but that game happened to by Kirby's DreamLand 3, which goes for over $50 loose these days it seems. I only scored this deal because I called and inquired, but it was clearly worth it in resale value. A lot of other collectors would have looked over buying such lots, but every now and then you can score a true gem when someone posts they have some ill-defined "Nintendo tapes" or something. Sometimes they have a SNES for sale as a "Nintendo" and they don't even know it.
    - Let other people know you collect. I got SNES games from friends and friends of friends, people I didn't even know just because they heard I was going for a complete set through the grapvine. I had a friend give me Last Action Hero out of his childhood box because he knew I needed it. It is only worth a couple bucks, but instances like that really add up, and you never know when your Dad will come home with a box of "worthless games" from the office's secretary, or something really tangental like that.

One of the biggest mistakes I made in collecting was that I didn't prioritize collecting games that were expensive but not necessarily rare. For example, the last game I needed to complete my set was Harvest Moon. This is not a particularly rare game, but it is an expensive one. I prioritized my eBaying, (I got over 80% of my collection in person, but most of my "rare" games I got off Ebay), to get the rare games. Some of those games were indeed rare but not worth much, like Super Solitaire. Meanwhile, I was putting other games that I didn't consider rare on the backburner, games like Ogre Battle and Lufia. Before I knew it, these games had jumped in price astronomically. I thought to myself, "Not as rare - Not as important," but that was a financial mistake. Most of the last games I needed were not that rare, just expensive, and I watched Harvest Moon go from about a $35 game to a $100+ game in the matter of a few years because I didn't quite prioritize it.

Also, don't buy every game you see just because you don't have it. Make a game out of it. I can't tell you how many times I passed over the Bugs Bunny game just because I though it was too expensive, (turns out to be one of the most common games that I saw over the years). I would keep on seeing it for $3.00 and passing it up. Paying three bucks to cross the game off your list seems like a no-brainer, but the reality is that I knew for a fact that I would eventually find it for a dollar, or get it in another lot for free. It took awhile, but I eventually did find it for a dollar. If you know a game is super common, give it time and don't necessarily buy everything you see. It will help out in the long run and might make collecting a bit more enjoyable. I was stoked when I finally found it for a dollar, personal pride I guess.

Also, I found the Digital Press guide to be very helpful and accurate. The games they list as being super rare are indeed the really rare ones, but I'd like to shed more light on some other games that were really hard for me to find. To be frank, here are some games that I virtually never saw in three years of collecting:
    - Ghoul Patrol
    - Syndicate
    - Super Goal 2
    - Sparkster
    - Pocky & Rocky 2
    - Ren & Stimpy: Buckaroo$
    - R-type 3
    - Space Megaforce

These were games that seemed a lot harder for me to find than the guide would have led me to believe, at least on the West Coast anyways. Trading on Digital Press was also a huge help and I made friends doing this over the years that I have actually met in person and started genuine friendships with. If it stops being fun for you or ever feels like a chore, it't time to stop. But if you get enjoyment out of the hunt, then good luck, and game on!
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Paradox View Post
    I have come across so many people that hear about my collection and say something ignorant like "You know you can just get an snes emulator and a rom set for free, right?"

I will absolutely check you guys out. I enjoyed chatting with you, dude.
    You know the saddest thing? I had three roommates, all gamers, who said basically the same thing. "I can emulate it". Well, good for you. Good luck emulating Miracle Piano Teaching System, Lethal Enforcers, or any Super Scope game. It was just irritating in general. I like coming by my games legally and I like playing them on the original system if possible. Plus there's just something about that old art and having the actual cart... ...being able to grab it off of a shelf and hold it in your hand. Staring at my SNES shelves... it's a thing of beauty.

...and I enjoyed chatting with you too! Send me a PM if you join us on Reddit

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    These people should be tarred and feathered then sent on their way.
    , I know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesystick View Post
    I completed my cart-only set about three months ago, which included the competition carts and the South American games. It took me about 12 years to collect them all, although I was doing very little collecting in my college years. I decided I wanted to complete the set at about age 14 and I finally did at age 26, (a strange goal for a kid, I know.) I have been meaning to do a write up of my recent success here on Digital Press, thanking various people including forum members for helping me out, but I haven't quite gotten around to it yet. I am really thankful to everyone that helped.

A lot of my success involved collecting a large sum right when SNES games hit their price floor, probably between 2000-2003. Gamestop was clearing out their stock, (not that I got much from them, but it puts the time into reference), and it was really easy to find games for next to nothing. Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 was all the rage back then and some N64 and PS1 games held some value in the secondary markets, but nobody cared about SNES and Genny stuff at that time. I was able to clean up pawn shops and thrift stores back then just because it was the right time to buy, which is not something you can get away with today, (unless you're into GBA/PSP/XB/PS2/GC games, then it's the perfect time to buy.)

My advice? Well, I'll try to be brief:
    - Always ask at garage sales or pawn shops. You never know what they'll have in the back.
    - Don't be afraid to buy large lots, even if there are a lot of dupes. You can always resell and DP is a great place to do it. I have purchased lots that cost over $400 multiple times and this is really the way to go. You have less competition buying them because not everyone wants to buy everything. Each time I was able to add to my own collection basically for free, while usually reselling everything else and still making a profit. Look for people trying to sell their entire collection, or a storage unit, or just a huge lot. These people are usually easy to haggle with because they want it gone and you'll also be giving them way more money than Gamestop or a pawn shop would, so it's a win/win.
    - Don't be afraid to buy games that aren't complete or are in crappy condition. You can always upgrade later and it makes for easier buying decisions. That is, it will be easier for you to buy a Super Mario RPG in excellent condition for $30 when you know that you can sell the one you already have in rough condition for $20 plus. You can look at it as only a $5 -$10 expense as opposed to just a standard $30 expense, and this also always keeps the hunt alive.
    - Go after the rare games first. The seem to be inflating at quite the stellar rate
    - Chase after Craigslist ads if you have the time. I purchased a whole SNES system lot, Super Scope, and a eight games for $75. I had all the games already except for one, but that game happened to by Kirby's DreamLand 3, which goes for over $50 loose these days it seems. I only scored this deal because I called and inquired, but it was clearly worth it in resale value. A lot of other collectors would have looked over buying such lots, but every now and then you can score a true gem when someone posts they have some ill-defined "Nintendo tapes" or something. Sometimes they have a SNES for sale as a "Nintendo" and they don't even know it.
    - Let other people know you collect. I got SNES games from friends and friends of friends, people I didn't even know just because they heard I was going for a complete set through the grapvine. I had a friend give me Last Action Hero out of his childhood box because he knew I needed it. It is only worth a couple bucks, but instances like that really add up, and you never know when your Dad will come home with a box of "worthless games" from the office's secretary, or something really tangental like that.

One of the biggest mistakes I made in collecting was that I didn't prioritize collecting games that were expensive but not necessarily rare. For example, the last game I needed to complete my set was Harvest Moon. This is not a particularly rare game, but it is an expensive one. I prioritized my eBaying, (I got over 80% of my collection in person, but most of my "rare" games I got off Ebay), to get the rare games. Some of those games were indeed rare but not worth much, like Super Solitaire. Meanwhile, I was putting other games that I didn't consider rare on the backburner, games like Ogre Battle and Lufia. Before I knew it, these games had jumped in price astronomically. I thought to myself, "Not as rare - Not as important," but that was a financial mistake. Most of the last games I needed were not that rare, just expensive, and I watched Harvest Moon go from about a $35 game to a $100+ game in the matter of a few years because I didn't quite prioritize it.

Also, don't buy every game you see just because you don't have it. Make a game out of it. I can't tell you how many times I passed over the Bugs Bunny game just because I though it was too expensive, (turns out to be one of the most common games that I saw over the years). I would keep on seeing it for $3.00 and passing it up. Paying three bucks to cross the game off your list seems like a no-brainer, but the reality is that I knew for a fact that I would eventually find it for a dollar, or get it in another lot for free. It took awhile, but I eventually did find it for a dollar. If you know a game is super common, give it time and don't necessarily buy everything you see. It will help out in the long run and might make collecting a bit more enjoyable. I was stoked when I finally found it for a dollar, personal pride I guess.

Also, I found the Digital Press guide to be very helpful and accurate. The games they list as being super rare are indeed the really rare ones, but I'd like to shed more light on some other games that were really hard for me to find. To be frank, here are some games that I virtually never saw in three years of collecting:
    - Ghoul Patrol
    - Syndicate
    - Super Goal 2
    - Sparkster
    - Pocky & Rocky 2
    - Ren & Stimpy: Buckaroo$
    - R-type 3
    - Space Megaforce

These were games that seemed a lot harder for me to find than the guide would have led me to believe, at least on the West Coast anyways. Trading on Digital Press was also a huge help and I made friends doing this over the years that I have actually met in person and started genuine friendships with. If it stops being fun for you or ever feels like a chore, it't time to stop. But if you get enjoyment out of the hunt, then good luck, and game on!
    Congrats!!! Man, you really got started at the right time. I STARTED about 20 months ago... I'm sure you'll end up having spent 1/5th or less what I end up spending to finish mine.

Thankfully I had the sense to prioritize rares first. I already have a mint aerofighters, mint hagane, mint buckeroo$, and their respective manuals etc. etc. Even in just the last few months it's amazing how prices for those have shot up. Unfortunately, I have NOT been prioritizing populars - I've made the same mistake you did. I still need Mega Man 7, Wild Guns, Ghoul Patrol, Syndicate, Super Goal 2, Pocky & Rocky 2, and Space Megaforce. Kirby 3 as well... Ugh. I CRINGE every time I think about spending that kind of money on such common games, but I'm just going to have to bite the bullet in the next few months and buy them all up before they get to earthbound levels too.

Thankfully, while those are stupidly expensive, they aren't all that rare, at least, not compared to trying to find 3 ninjas and casper manuals.

I, too, buy massive lots of games if they have a significant portion of games I need. It ends up saving me a nice margin on the games and a ton on shipping. So far I've gotten to my 450-something games (I haven't sorted through all of the lots that have come in yet) via ~140 auctions, which isn't too bad considering a lot of those auctions were for individual rares or were manual-only auctions. For the remainder I do upgrades and throw the rest in boxes for sale once my collection is complete. I won't start buying individual games until hit around 95% completion. ...I'm pushing hard to complete this collection in the next year because every month that goes by is more money out of my pocket.

FYI, if you used the guide to make your spreadsheets... It's spelled "Buckeroo$" not "Buckaroo$" (I think DP has it misspelled). They also misspelled Nickelodeon Guts and SkulJagger has the subtitle of "Revolt of the Westicans", NOT "Revenge of the Westicans", which is what DP has it as.

You should join www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting too! :P Announce yourselves :P Other than Byuu I don't think we have any other members with complete SNES collections.
    Last edited by Informationator; 12-27-2012 at 04:14 PM.