So get this,

My 9-year old niece has recently become obsessed with Angry Video Game Nerd. Her parents don't seem to mind the language, so whatever I guess. Anyway, she's saving up to buy her own NES. She's already expressed interest in having a "toaster" model, but may accept a famiclone. As of now, she's raised $32 of her own money. I need some feedback on some scenarios:

1) Purchase a used toaster, maybe have to replace the 72pin connector or a cap or something. I only worry as my toaster needs some work, and I'd hate to go through all the trouble (and spend her money) to get a turd. Can I count on it to be reliable?

2) Purchase a famiclone. I know some dork out there has a problem with how it renders the magic shot sound in legacy of the wizard or whatever, but would a 9-year old notice? Would I be in bigger trouble as far as reliability goes? If I find one with NES ports, I have a few extra controllers so that is not a problem. Furthermore, is there one famiclone that's "better" than others?

3) Make an emulator pack with usb NES controller or controller adaptor. Again, the emul-haters will be out on this one, but it would give her access to the whole library. This one is an easy win, but I think she would value the tangibility of the carts more so I don't like this one as much.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated. I really haven't looked much at prices for stuff, but locally an NES runs in the $40-60 range. Famiclones cost as much as they do anywhere. Thanks!