Thread: Skylanders question...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Skylanders question...

My kid got Skylanders Giants for the Xbox 360 as a Xmas gift. He told me that he really wants the first game, the Spyro one. So, now that he has the Giants version, what does he need to get to play the first game ? Does he just need the game disk for the Spyro game ? Does he need the special portal thing from the first game, or will the one from Giants work fine with the first game ? I'm assuming he would need characters from the first game ?

Basically, looking for the most economical way to get him the Spyro game so he can play that as well as "giants".

thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Skylander's Giants characters work with Skylander's Adventure. All of the Skylander's Adventure characters work in Skylander's Giants.

I honestly don't know if the portals are interchangeable, but he will need one character from each of the nine elements to complete Skylander's Adventures. With those nine characters plus the three included with Skylanders' Giants, he can complete Giants without buying any more characters. That probably won't help him much, but it was nice for those who started with Adventures first. The Skylanders Adventures characters are often heavily discounted now, so that should help somewhat, and he was going to need characters from all nine elements from either Adventures or Giants to complete Giants as well.

The Wii editions of the Skylanders games were well reviewed to I decided to add them to my Wii collection recently. Between the two games, the add on packs and the minimum number of characters to finish both games, I was chagrined at how much I spent in total. Plus I bought a bag to store the characters in as well!

I haven't played any of the games yet, but they look fun from the clips I watched on You Tube.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 12-25-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have the portal from either Skylanders game (Spyro's Adventure or Giants) for your console of choice, then you can use that for both games. If you can find Spyro's Adventure without the portal, pick it up. As for the Skylanders figures - characters introduced in Spyro's Adventure will work on both it and Giants. New characters (such as the Giant figures and new regular ones like Fright Rider) will only work on Giants. To help (my fiance noticed this and did a great job explaining it to me) the original Skylanders figures have green plastic bases. The Giants line have orange bases.

Green base figures work in both games.
    Orange base figures for Skylanders introduced in Spyro's Adventure work in both games (example - series 2 Cynder, who comes with the 3DS Starter pack)
    Orange base figures for Giants and new Skylanders only work in Giants.

Skylanders can get confusing, but I hope this helps.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    he will need one character from each of the nine elements to complete Skylander's Adventures.

So, you're saying, for him to completely finish Spyro's Adventures (the first Skylanders), he needs 9 of those freaking things ? I thought you could still finish the game with the basic pack, but that most kids would just want to collect the other guys to use them in their game, but didn't know that it was absolutely mandatory to have 9 of them. Man, what a money-grubbing scheme this whole Skylanders thing is !

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I was mistaken. There are 8 elements, not 9. ie:

Water
    Tech
    Earth
    Magic
    Fire
    Undead
    Life
    Air

Three elements are included in the starter packs, and the game can be played with those three. However, you'll need at least five additional characters beyond the starter pack (one of each element) to unlock the hidden areas of the game. This is true for both games.

Skylanders Adventures also received 4 expansion packs creating new areas to explore in the game:

Empire of Ice
    Darklight Crypt
    Dragon's Peak
    Pirates Seas

I suspect Giants will receive it's share of expansion packs as well.

With over 50 characters, store exclusives and rarities already - it's a great game for collectors not on a budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    So, you're saying, for him to completely finish Spyro's Adventures (the first Skylanders), he needs 9 of those freaking things ? I thought you could still finish the game with the basic pack, but that most kids would just want to collect the other guys to use them in their game, but didn't know that it was absolutely mandatory to have 9 of them. Man, what a money-grubbing scheme this whole Skylanders thing is !
    No, you can compete the game with just the 3 starter skylanders. You don't need 8 figures. If you want to get 100% of the game, you will need at least 8 figures to access all areas, but if you just want to beat the last boss and experience the story, then the 3 starter ones are enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shupirate

Someone was a marketing genius with this game. I recently got into Skylanders as well , we received the Original Game, Portal and 1 figure as a gift. I have since bought about 7 figures. As you play - you will want to unlock all the areas to get all the goodies. It can get expensive.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorneorune View Post
    Skylanders can get confusing, but I hope this helps.
    In the bottom corner of the packaging of the characters there's a square that says if they will work on the original game or the giants version.