Thread: Original PCE white: how to connect it to a tv/monitor and which AC adapter to use in USA?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Original PCE white: how to connect it to a tv/monitor and which AC adapter to use in USA?

Hi all

Got a pretty good deal of a PCE original (the white one, with 2 controllers and 2 games for 29 bucks); but the issue is that the console has no AC and no RF cable.

I have no idea if it even works....

Anyway; how could I hook it up to my monitor or tv? I do not see any RF cable sold anywhere (not even on ebay, unless you get it from japan for 40 bucks), and for the AC I am not sure which power and voltage should I use, to not fry it (if it is still working of course.

I am planning, if it works, to get the CD interface with the CD reader, but I don't want to commit buying one of these unless I am sure that the console is working (in that case I would get composite out from the cd and power from the interface, so I don't need either cable or AC adapter).

Any suggestion is more than welcome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Sega Genesis AC adaptor will work fine on the PCE. As for checking the video out, you should connect GND and Video as shown here: http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/pcebp.php

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Genesis RF box can work on compatible TVs. Highest odds with CRTs that support channel 95 or so.

One future idea is giving PCE's remarkable internal RGB lines a useful form.
    Composite is cheap/easy for a reason. It doesn't begin to show off the true sharpness of consoles like this.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the reply!

Is there any place like radioshack or similar, where I can get a genesis AC adapter? I sold my genesis and I don't have any handy.

Thanks for the pin out diagram; I need to find someone now that may be able to do something like a very cheap cable to direct the AV out to the composite of my monitor...i suck big time at soldering and such

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darshie View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

Is there any place like radioshack or similar, where I can get a genesis AC adapter? I sold my genesis and I don't have any handy.
    This one, http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3875403 set to 9v is probably the closest to what you need that RS sells these days.

I also came across this place http://www.retrogamecave.com/nec-ac_adapter.html which may be better since they're specifically making the adapters for use with the consoles but I don't know anything about them besides what their site says.

If you have any local game stores (not gamestop!) that sell vintage games, they might have Genesis adapters. Just make sure you get one for a model 1, the plug for a model 2 is different than what an NEC system would take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    If you have any local game stores (not gamestop!) that sell vintage games, they might have Genesis adapters. Just make sure you get one for a model 1, the plug for a model 2 is different than what an NEC system would take.
    Thank you for mentioning that. You need a Genesis 1 or Master System power adapter for your PC Engine, or a TurboGrafx-16 power adapter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to have the system modded for you to have AV out and also region selection you can hit up members at www.pcenginefx.com, a smany offer mod services for reasonable prices.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm pretty sure an NES RF switch will work with the PC Engine. Also, the interface unit allows it to use generic red-white-yellow cables.

My white PC Engine seems to be using a modern AC adapter, and it seems to be working fine, I assume anything that has the right plug and right voltage/polarity will do it.