Thread: Nintendo Force, the new magazine inspired by Nintendo Power and created by some fine folk from the Web

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Nintendo Force, the new magazine inspired by Nintendo Power and created by some fine folk from the Web

Nintendo Force is a new magazine which aims to be the spiritual successor to Nintendo Power. Its first issue is launching in January 2013. All profits from the sales of the first issue will be contributed to a (currently unnamed) charity. The format of the magazine will be basically the same as the old Nintendo Power. The January 2013 issue will include a review of Fluidity: Spin Cycle from the 3DS eShop, and custom game sculptures made by one of the female magazine contributors will be featured as art for the articles.

So far the prices of individual issues and subscriptions are unannounced. Right now the mag is taking submissions for art envelope entries for its fan mail section. The size of the art should follow this template [ http://www.nintendoforcemagazine.com...peTemplate.png ]. Entries need to be received by January 1st for consideration for their inclusion in issue #1! E-mail your "envelope" fan art to [ envelopeart@nintendoforcemagazine.com ]. General fan mail should be sent to [ inbox@nintendoforcemagazine.com ].

More info can be found at [ http://nintendoforcemagazine.com/ ] and [ https://www.facebook.com/NintendoForce ] and [ https://twitter.com/NintendoForce ].

I have high hopes for this magazine. It has some fairly well-known writers and artists such as Lucas Thomas from IGN and Matthew Taranto from "Brawl in the Family" and other places like Nintendo World Report, Nintendo Life, The Mega Man Network, Nintendojo, GoNintendo, and NinDB. Here's hoping!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there some particular reason for pointing out the sex of the contributor doing the sculptures?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Is there some particular reason for pointing out the sex of the contributor doing the sculptures?
    No, not really - do you mind that I did? When I wrote the post, it was based on what they had written on their preliminary site, Facebook, and Twitter. All that the Facebook post stated about the sculptures really is that they are from Fluidity and made by a woman named Camille and so I was thinking about that when I wrote it up but couldn't remember her name. "Camille Young" is her full name, but I wouldn't know she is a sculpture artist without the Nintendo Force site making a note of it.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    why would it matter either way? or are you one of those feminist type that get offended by every little thing that you can make up to make it sound sexist?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's just odd and out of place. Don't get your knickers in a twist, Jennifer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some people just argue for the sake of arguing. Don't take it personally.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

This has former Nintendo Power staff on board? Looking at the site, I only see people who had no connection to the magazine.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Nintendo Defense Force Magazine?

In all seriousness, Nintendo Force Magazine sounds extremely generic.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 12-29-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    This has former Nintendo Power staff on board? Looking at the site, I only see people who had no connection to the magazine.
    Yeah, sorry about that. This was something I believe I misunderstood from one of the contributing artists. I thought there were supposed to be writers from NP working on NF, but if so they are unannounced. Thus I might be remembering how said artist stated that it was an honor to be working with or have worked with some former NP staff. I guess we'll know for sure when the first issue of Nintendo Force arrives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I totally want to subscribe to a magazine about Nintendo after how Nintendo dropped their own free ad mag like a pot of boiling...well, nothing good.

It'll be interesting to see what happens, but if Nintendo wouldn't even give their own people access, I think this would do better branching out to other current systems like any other effort. And I've also realized that Nintendo is far from where they were during the "glory days" of NP that we all fondly remember.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94ad3046de28154d87c89b2742c993f8.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	6106

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0dcd4ad2be3eb749bc8f501371aad954.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	6105

As of January 11, Nintendo Force #1 is available for purchase. This issue is eighty pages in length, full color, and ad-free. It's $4.99 for the digital edition (PDF download, iPad app, and in-Web-browser reading) or $13.74 for the print + digital edition using coupon code "HPSD". All proceeds from sales go to charity. So far, over 2000 issues have been sold. Subscription info will be available sometime between now and when issue #2 is available for sale.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

They call that a free preview? Uh, thanks for letting me look at the cover and table of contents, Nintendo Force.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I know what you mean, A2B. There used to be two more preview pages available, but they removed them. I wonder if they had typos or something...

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't care where the proceeds go, I'm not spending $14 on a magazine.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Good news for those that wanted to subscribe (or just a lower price) and didn't want to pay crazy money for magazine issues: Nintendo Force is now offering $30 print subscriptions according to its new FAQ. $20 for digital-only, $30 print-only, $40 digital-and-print. Personally I think all books, magazines, and newspapers should offer the digital version at no extra charge with purchase of the print copy, but most publishers don't agree.

At six issues per year and thus a cost of only $5 per issue, I'm starting to consider subscribing to Nintendo Force.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Good news for those that wanted to subscribe (or just a lower price) and didn't want to pay crazy money for magazine issues: Nintendo Force is now offering $30 print subscriptions according to its new FAQ. $20 for digital-only, $30 print-only, $40 digital-and-print. Personally I think all books, magazines, and newspapers should offer the digital version at no extra charge with purchase of the print copy, but most publishers don't agree.

At six issues per year and thus a cost of only $5 per issue, I'm starting to consider subscribing to Nintendo Force.
    that's a pretty good per issue price. i can live with that