Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: For or Against the Virtual Boy?

  1. #1
    Game collector at its finest Custom rank graphic
    CoteRangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In space
    Posts
    34
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    DarkChaos2795
    3DS Friend
    3351-4174-4389

    Lightbulb For or Against the Virtual Boy?

    I'm getting a Virtual Boy tomorrow at the flea market. But I did heard some people liking it, and others disliking it.

    So just out of complete curiosity, do you love or hate the Virtual Boy?

  2. #2
    Kirby (Level 13) Tanooki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    5,964
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    For what it is I care for it, and it never gave me eye tumors or splitting headaches either, dizziness or vertigo. The only and only reason I no longer own one, it got boring. You can only do so much with 14 US release titles before it gets stale and the Japanese stuff due to collectors are wretchedly pricy.

  3. #3
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    657
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    The Virtual Boy does absolutely nothing for me except give me headaches and neck cramps. However, without it, we wouldn't have had this gem:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,140
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    22
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    124
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

    Default

    I know many gamers would think I'm crazy for it, but I actually really love the Virtual Boy. Even though it was gimped from Yokoi's original vision (because it would've been way too expensive), I think the technology is still really impressive, and the game library easily has one of the best crap to quality ratios of any system I've encountered. I guess that's what happens when you're dealing with a very small library with most of the games being first party, just like with the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Almost every Virtual Boy game is at least pretty good, if not great. I think Virtual Boy Wario Land is still the best Wario game ever made, just to name one. While there are some gamers who do have headache/eyestrain issues with it, I think most problems people have with it can be alleviated by simply following Nintendo's suggestions and setting it up properly. I always make sure to have it at a comfortable angle, adjust the screen properly, and take breaks, and I've never had any problems myself.

    The biggest problem for the Virtual Boy is that it's a popular butt of jokes on the internet, so more often than not, when people make comments about it having no good games and "making your eyes bleed", they haven't ever even touched a Virtual Boy or barely tried one out. While it begins as joking, people actually start taking that stuff as truth, so a lot of gamers legitimately believe that all of its games suck and that it causes headaches to every single person who plays it.

  5. #5
    Key (Level 9) wiggyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    "Ick" sums up my feelings about it.

  6. #6
    Pac-Man (Level 10) treismac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,026
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I was given a Virtual Boy a while back and I can play it for about 15 minutes before I become a bit too disorientated to continue. Also, let me give another nod to the deservedly lauded Wario Land, which is the best game I've played for the system.

  7. #7
    Banana (Level 7) Atarileaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Never played one but I don't think I'm missing out. If I was given one or found one really cheap I'd pick it up to try out but I wouldn't go out of my way for one.

  8. #8
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    375
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I know many gamers would think I'm crazy for it, but I actually really love the Virtual Boy. Even though it was gimped from Yokoi's original vision (because it would've been way too expensive), I think the technology is still really impressive, and the game library easily has one of the best crap to quality ratios of any system I've encountered. I guess that's what happens when you're dealing with a very small library with most of the games being first party, just like with the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Almost every Virtual Boy game is at least pretty good, if not great. I think Virtual Boy Wario Land is still the best Wario game ever made, just to name one. While there are some gamers who do have headache/eyestrain issues with it, I think most problems people have with it can be alleviated by simply following Nintendo's suggestions and setting it up properly. I always make sure to have it at a comfortable angle, adjust the screen properly, and take breaks, and I've never had any problems myself.

    The biggest problem for the Virtual Boy is that it's a popular butt of jokes on the internet, so more often than not, when people make comments about it having no good games and "making your eyes bleed", they haven't ever even touched a Virtual Boy or barely tried one out. While it begins as joking, people actually start taking that stuff as truth, so a lot of gamers legitimately believe that all of its games suck and that it causes headaches to every single person who plays it.
    I honestly don't believe all the " headache" tales. It's just the "correct" thing to say just like "I never liked MC Hammer' or " I never liked Vanilla Ice". It's just the thing to say.

  9. #9
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    joshnickerson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    2,919
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

    Default

    It's not exactly my favorite Nintendo console, but I'm glad I own one, even though I only play it about once a year.

    Also, be sure that it works, since the Virtual Boy is a rather fragile system and unlike most other Nintendo consoles, prone to failure. I'd bring six AA batteries with you to test it out.

    DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

  10. #10
    Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    night sky
    Posts
    822
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    For or against Virtual Boy? Do I have to take such an extreme position?

    I own a Virtual Boy and have all the US releases. I play it ever so often. I never have any eye problems, but do take the recommended breaks.

    I like it because it's WAY different than any other game machine out there. Yes, with people on the Internet making fun of it, bashing it becomes the "cool thing to do," in much the same way bashing ET for the 2600 has become a badge of honor.

    It's an okay system, with a few games worth playing for a short period of time. Most of the time though, the system is going to be sitting on the shelf.

    I second the motion to test it out before you buy.

  11. #11
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,924
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    55
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

    Default

    Against. My friend had one in high school, and I played it for 10 minutes and my eyes were hurting. I just don't like the all red coloring, makes it difficult to see and play. What's sad is it took Nintendo another 5 years to release a handheld system with comparable graphics. But I've had more than enough experience with the Virtual Boy to be satisfied I'm not a fan.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  12. #12
    Key (Level 9) wiggyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    I honestly don't believe all the " headache" tales. It's just the "correct" thing to say just like "I never liked MC Hammer' or " I never liked Vanilla Ice". It's just the thing to say.
    I never liked Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone likes or liked shitty pop music.

    Just because you're embarrassed to admit it doesn't mean the rest of us wore giant parachute pants in the early 90's :P

  13. #13
    Pear (Level 6) retroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,265
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

    Default

    I have had mine since it came out, and I am happy with it..Has a few really good games for it.

  14. #14
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,920
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Always found the Virtual Boy to be fun. Never owned one, plan to someday.

  15. #15
    Peach (Level 3) A Black Falcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    705
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    For! The VB has some pretty cool games and is interesting technology; the fact that it's a headset really helps enhance the immersion, versus systems like the 3DS. The VB has far too few games and sadly died right after launch, but still, many of the few games it has are good. I would highly recommend getting the ac adapter tap and adapter if you like the system much, though; its 5-7 hour battery life is short.

    And yeah, the "VB gives you headaches/kills your eyes" thing is overblown. Yes, some people can't see its 3d, or get headaches, but most, including me, do not. If other forms of 3d don't affect you, the VB shouldn't either. And it does run at a good speed -- the VB's 50hz.

    I would agree that the VB eventually becomes something you use rarely, either because of the cost of batteries if you don't have the ac adapter or because of how few games there are for it, but still, it's a pretty cool thing to have, it has some pretty good games, and I"m happy to have one, even if I only infrequently use it.

  16. #16
    Great Puma (Level 12) c0ldb33r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,980
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    This should be a poll.

    I'm for, I like the VB enough that I just got a mint one in a blockbuster case for safekeeping. I don't play it as much as I should though.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Aussie2B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,140
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    22
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    124
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

    Default

    Maybe I'm weird, but I actually find the 3D on the 3DS more bothersome than on the Virtual Boy. It kind of messes with my head on 3DS but no issues at all with the Virtual Boy.

  18. #18
    Red (Level 21) Jorpho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    We're all mad here
    Posts
    13,554
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    The Virtual Boy does absolutely nothing for me except give me headaches and neck cramps. However, without it, we wouldn't have had this gem:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o
    Count me in with those who sympathize for the unfortunate folks who have to work at all those trashed shops.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

  19. #19
    Get Ready! SpaceHarrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Fantasy Zone, California
    Posts
    1,661
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    I played it for about 10-20 minutes, didn't leave a huge impression one way or the other. Played Wario, for the record. It's an interesting-looking piece of hardware, but file under 'meh' for me.

    I miss my parachute pants.

  20. #20
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    167
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Maybe I'm weird, but I actually find the 3D on the 3DS more bothersome than on the Virtual Boy. It kind of messes with my head on 3DS but no issues at all with the Virtual Boy.
    Agree on the 3DS, gives me a bad headache and even makes me a bit dizzy. As for the Virtual Boy? I'd call it the worst video game system ever made.

Similar Threads

  1. Every Virtual Boy game for sale! (except Virtual Bowling)
    By Jasonbar in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-26-2013, 05:29 PM
  2. WTB Virtual Boy
    By walrusmonger in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2008, 12:18 AM
  3. Virtual Lab for Nintendo Virtual Boy - Complete in box
    By howdoin in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2007, 01:58 AM
  4. FS/T: Virtual League Baseball (JP) for Virtual Boy, CIB
    By Jorpho in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 02:02 PM
  5. ~!!! Virtual Jockey Poster for Virtual Boy on eBay !!!~
    By dbiersdorf in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 02:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •