Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    DarkChaos2795
    3DS Friend
    3351-4174-4389

Lightbulb For or Against the Virtual Boy?

I'm getting a Virtual Boy tomorrow at the flea market. But I did heard some people liking it, and others disliking it.

So just out of complete curiosity, do you love or hate the Virtual Boy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For what it is I care for it, and it never gave me eye tumors or splitting headaches either, dizziness or vertigo. The only and only reason I no longer own one, it got boring. You can only do so much with 14 US release titles before it gets stale and the Japanese stuff due to collectors are wretchedly pricy.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Virtual Boy does absolutely nothing for me except give me headaches and neck cramps. However, without it, we wouldn't have had this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I know many gamers would think I'm crazy for it, but I actually really love the Virtual Boy. Even though it was gimped from Yokoi's original vision (because it would've been way too expensive), I think the technology is still really impressive, and the game library easily has one of the best crap to quality ratios of any system I've encountered. I guess that's what happens when you're dealing with a very small library with most of the games being first party, just like with the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Almost every Virtual Boy game is at least pretty good, if not great. I think Virtual Boy Wario Land is still the best Wario game ever made, just to name one. While there are some gamers who do have headache/eyestrain issues with it, I think most problems people have with it can be alleviated by simply following Nintendo's suggestions and setting it up properly. I always make sure to have it at a comfortable angle, adjust the screen properly, and take breaks, and I've never had any problems myself.

The biggest problem for the Virtual Boy is that it's a popular butt of jokes on the internet, so more often than not, when people make comments about it having no good games and "making your eyes bleed", they haven't ever even touched a Virtual Boy or barely tried one out. While it begins as joking, people actually start taking that stuff as truth, so a lot of gamers legitimately believe that all of its games suck and that it causes headaches to every single person who plays it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Ick" sums up my feelings about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was given a Virtual Boy a while back and I can play it for about 15 minutes before I become a bit too disorientated to continue. Also, let me give another nod to the deservedly lauded Wario Land, which is the best game I've played for the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Never played one but I don't think I'm missing out. If I was given one or found one really cheap I'd pick it up to try out but I wouldn't go out of my way for one.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I know many gamers would think I'm crazy for it, but I actually really love the Virtual Boy. Even though it was gimped from Yokoi's original vision (because it would've been way too expensive), I think the technology is still really impressive, and the game library easily has one of the best crap to quality ratios of any system I've encountered. I guess that's what happens when you're dealing with a very small library with most of the games being first party, just like with the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Almost every Virtual Boy game is at least pretty good, if not great. I think Virtual Boy Wario Land is still the best Wario game ever made, just to name one. While there are some gamers who do have headache/eyestrain issues with it, I think most problems people have with it can be alleviated by simply following Nintendo's suggestions and setting it up properly. I always make sure to have it at a comfortable angle, adjust the screen properly, and take breaks, and I've never had any problems myself.

The biggest problem for the Virtual Boy is that it's a popular butt of jokes on the internet, so more often than not, when people make comments about it having no good games and "making your eyes bleed", they haven't ever even touched a Virtual Boy or barely tried one out. While it begins as joking, people actually start taking that stuff as truth, so a lot of gamers legitimately believe that all of its games suck and that it causes headaches to every single person who plays it.
    I honestly don't believe all the " headache" tales. It's just the "correct" thing to say just like "I never liked MC Hammer' or " I never liked Vanilla Ice". It's just the thing to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    I honestly don't believe all the " headache" tales. It's just the "correct" thing to say just like "I never liked MC Hammer' or " I never liked Vanilla Ice". It's just the thing to say.
    I never liked Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone likes or liked shitty pop music.

Just because you're embarrassed to admit it doesn't mean the rest of us wore giant parachute pants in the early 90's :P

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    I don't have much experience with the virtual boy, BUT I can say that other 3D technology does give me intense headaches and nausea. I own a 3D tv that I can't watch and my 3Ds is firmly set to 2D. My particular problem is that I have amblyopia, which is just a fancy term for "lazy eye". My eyes don't like to function together, instead one eye will "see" and the other just shuts off. My glasses tend to correct the problem somewhat, so my eyes don't visibly wander (thank god!) but the 3D shutter forces my eyes to switch vision so rapidly that the strain literally hurts.

I may be an extreme case, but I could see other people having similar issues with the virtual boy. And you know, the whole unit is heavy and leaning into play it IS sort of awkward.
    Last edited by Daria; 12-31-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    The Virtual Boy does absolutely nothing for me except give me headaches and neck cramps. However, without it, we wouldn't have had this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o
    Count me in with those who sympathize for the unfortunate folks who have to work at all those trashed shops.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)