Thread: BlazeBlue Extend and Persona 4 Arena......

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default BlazeBlue Extend and Persona 4 Arena......

I played these at the anime con I went to, and I gotta say these are my favorite fighters now. Two guys walked up at one point were going on about them being "broken" and the forums they go to has everyone ragging on them. I asked them if they had played them before, they hadnt so the guys playing let them. They seemed to be surprised by them in a good way.

Does anyone not like these games, and why? Theyre not traditional Street Fighter 2 type fighters, but I think they have tons of depth and the special moves you can do to win a fight after the 1st round make them so amateurs can have a chance against pros.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

They're Guilty Gear-style fighters. You shall know the Guilty Gear anime fighter by the air dashing, dedicated launch (read: Dust) button, burst meter, meter cancelling (Roman or rapid cancels), perfect guard, gatling combos, etc. etc. etc. All three of these games were developed by Arc System Works, so it's not a coincidence.

BlazBlue gets a lot of hate specifically because it isn't Guilty Gear, and it's not known for being the most balanced game out there on top of it. The latest version on consoles is OK, but there's already a new version coming to arcade and most likely home consoles, too. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way because the game has already had four other iterations in four years and their DLC schedule has been grimy. That's worse than Street Fighter and that's saying something. Compared to Guilty Gear (and its anime fighter brothers like Melty Blood) it feels sloppy and kind of mashy. That turns a lot of people off. I think it's fun, but I don't take it terribly seriously: every iteration has had such a dumb spread in the tier list that it isn't worth keeping up with unless you just pick top tier and understand that you'll be picking a new character for the next game when your current main gets nerfed into oblivion.

Persona 4 Arena is amazing, and it's got a pretty strong scene right now. I don't know who you were talking to that thought it was busted and hated, but it's the one newer ASW game that everyone seems to like. With good reason! Mitsuru and Chie are a little too good, and Aegis in the right hands with good meter and a corner knockdown is impossible to win against, but it's fun, flashy, and rewards skill and game knowledge. If you're into Persona, the story mode is pretty good too. I'd actually like to see a sequel to this, which goes against my usual frustration at annual fighting game iterations. It's too much fun. I haven't really knuckled down and learned the engine, but I play Yosuke and Elizabeth. If you want to play some games, hit me up on whichever online service you frequent.

EDIT: I cannot read this morning, apparently.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 12-31-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the guys were telling me that it was some forum I guess a lot of fighters hangout in, but Im not sure which one. They watched a tournament where the commentators didnt do their home work, if youre going to be calling games you should know all the ins and outs and not trashing it for your ignorance. I bought Guilty Gear X when I was there, Ive played the first one a little but I should play it more now.

I hate how fighting games have such bad DLC schedules and rereleases with "upgrades" that should be DLC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Yeah, the guys were telling me that it was some forum I guess a lot of fighters hangout in, but Im not sure which one. They watched a tournament where the commentators didnt do their home work, if youre going to be calling games you should know all the ins and outs and not trashing it for your ignorance. I bought Guilty Gear X when I was there, Ive played the first one a little but I should play it more now.

I hate how fighting games have such bad DLC schedules and rereleases with "upgrades" that should be DLC.
    Anime fighters get a lot of flak because they aren't Street Fighter or Marvel, especially by commentators who prefer Street Fighter or Marvel. Also, the most vocal of the fan base makes it pretty easy to goof on them...

If you're looking for Guilty Gear, and you have a 360 or PS3, the newest version is out for download on consoles. It's called (deep breath) Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus. It's $14.99 or your space bucks equivalent, and it has everyone in the cast, online play (which isn't great, which is weird because the ASW games usually have good netcode), and a bunch of single player stuff to work through. Be warned though, that the people who are still playing Guilty Gear online in this Year Of Our Lord 2012/2013 are the kind of people who never stopped playing Guilty Gear and will happily ruin your day.

Guilty Gear is a Hell of a game, but it's serious business to a very small and dedicated group of people. Also, check out Dustloop.com for some great tutorials and information on Guilty Gear, Persona, and Blazblue.

EDIT: out for download.
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 12-31-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont have any new systems. Which is why I loved playing these two, they made me want to get a PS3 more than ever, but Im still waiting on it to be cheaper.

Yeah anime fans and fighting fans could spell a bad mix with some groups. Me getting into them is still a big surprise, but I love NEO GEO graphics. I played KOF 13, it was easier than others I thought, but a guy said it was too hard for him. I said he should play the other ones then hahaha. I liked DOA 5 too, only Tekken Tag 2 didnt seem interesting though. I didnt like the colors and most backgrounds in Tekken X Street Fighter, but someone said it wasnt connected with an hdmi cable, so maybe thats why. Poison looked awesome though.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Blaz Blue hasnt dissappointed me yet, very solid game and i found it by chance on a clearence rack, i got 2 of them that way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Blaz Blue hasnt dissappointed me yet, very solid game and i found it by chance on a clearence rack, i got 2 of them that way
    It's fun, it just hasn't done very well on the tournament circuit. Most Guilty players never took to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Doujin fighters deserve their bad reputation, since they're mostly derivative loli-pedo trash.
    ASW games aren't doujin games, though.
    BB and especially P4A are great games.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard the Touhou Project will have a fighting game with the characters. I really wish I could play those bullet hells. :/