Thread: Connecticut Group Wants Your Violent Videogames — To Destroy Them [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Connecticut Group Wants Your Violent Videogames — To Destroy Them [Slashdot]

DavidGilbert99 writes with this excerpt from IB Times: "The Sandy Hook shooting once again raised the debate about how much power violent videogames wield over teenagers. Following proclamations from the National Rifle Association and the establishment of a study by the National Academy of Sciences to investigate the psychological effects of violent games on children, a group in Connecticut is now having its say Southington, a town 30 miles from where the shooting took place, is offering gift tokens in exchange for violent videogames, as well as other violent media such as DVDs or videos. The group, called SouthingtonSOS, said in a statement: 'There is ample evidence that violent video games, along with violent media of all kinds, including TV and movies portraying story after story showing a continuous stream of violence and killing, has contributed to increasing aggressiveness, fear, anxiety and is desensitizing our children to acts of violence including bullying.'" Any Yes, they plan to destroy the traded-in games. (Note: Beware the obnoxious auto-playing video ad with sound; adjust volume accordingly.)

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Their assertion is demonstrably false. There is no solid evidence of any kind linking violent media to increased aggression or violence. I hope these busy bodies get the intellectual curb-stomping they deserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Destroying video games and DVDs? I don't know, that sounds awfully violent to me. Why don't they have a good old fashioned book burning while they're at it?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Why not have a book burning while they're at it?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

'There is ample evidence..."

Yeah, sure there is, and unicorns are real.

I have a game for them.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I might be dumping gasoline on myself, here, but this is not censorship, and there is little in common with book burning. This is a voluntary and symbolic act by a community that's been gutted by real world violence. I don't see the problem, here; they're not coming for our games, there's no campaign to ban the sale of violent games or in any way regulate them, the Gestapo are not going door to door with a list and a search warrant. Everyone calm down.

Let them have their catharsis and we can get huffy and indignant if it becomes something more than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think anyone is suggesting they should be prevented from doing their thing, but what these people are doing is a misguided circle jerk and they should be called on their bullshit.
    If they were asking people to turn in their assault rifles, they might not look so stupid.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's kind of funny how real life starts duplicating Simpsons episodes. Funny or sad, I'm not sure.

"I urge every half way decent member of our community, to gather up all merchandise that bears the lickness of Krusty that clown prince of corruption and join me in a public burning."