Thread: Why did common SNES games skyrocket in price over the past 2 years?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why did common SNES games skyrocket in price over the past 2 years?

As a starting SNES collector attempting to regain his childhood collection and more, I've noticed a sharp spike in SNES prices in the past few years. Copies of Mario World that once went for $8-10 now tend to START around $15 at most places (and to be completely fair, both of those prices seem kind of high for the most common game in the SNES library). Super Mario All-Stars starts around $20. Heck, pretty much every mario game except paint and the educational titles (which are probably harder to find than most of the main series minus RPG in the first place) goes for a pretty penny. The Donkey Kong Country series sits at around $15-20 each, maybe a bit more for the third. Heck, Link To The Past starts around $30! The majority of quality common games have doubled in price (especially licenses like animaniacs, the lion king, aladdin, tiny toons, magical quest, etc) and some have absolutely exploded for no apparent reason like RunSaber. I understand completely that these titles are being affected more by demand than rarity, and I can understand some of these that are slightly harder to come by but reasonably common fetching a bit more, but I have to wonder exactly what pushed the super nintendo into such a godly status to make a game like Super Mario World with 20.6 million copies available worldwide worth more than many harder-to-find titles on other consoles?
    Last edited by recorderdude; 01-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.