Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: PS4 Not Playing Used Games, What Is This Hobby Coming To?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    It was $15 for 2 official sony ps2 memory cards in 02 or early 03. And if your PS3 dies you have all your game data on them, so you wouldmt have to lose everything or need to do a transfer.
    If you ever saw two official PS2 memory cards for $15, it sure wasn't MSRP. The price of such a thing would've been more like $40 normally and $30 on sale back then.

$15 has been the MSRP for years now for just a single official PS2 memory card. And it used to be $25.

And if you want your saves backed up, there's the cloud save function that will do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    How about just doing what the Sega CD or Saturn did? Have built in internal memory
    All four major console's presently on the marketplace do just that.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-22-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    All four major console's presently on the marketplace do just that.
    Not sure why you missed the rest of my post there, did you black out before finishing it? You specifically missed the part that would make the current consoles useful for people with friends, "with optional memory cards being available for purchase separately." It's so you wouldn't have to bring your entire console to a friends' house to play it, you could just bring the game and memory card. Mostly useful for the games that require you to unlock everything for all features, or if you're taking turns to play through some massively long game over several days/weeks.

Edit: Plus it's cool to backup your saves in case the hard drive dies. People backup important files off PC hard drives so why not do the same for console hard drives?
    Last edited by Gameguy; 01-22-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Not sure why you missed the rest of my post there, did you black out before finishing it? You specifically missed the part that would make the current consoles useful for people with friends, "with optional memory cards being available for purchase separately." It's so you wouldn't have to bring your entire console to a friends' house to play it, you could just bring the game and memory card. Mostly useful for the games that require you to unlock everything for all features, or if you're taking turns to play through some massively long game over several days/weeks.

Edit: Plus it's cool to backup your saves in case the hard drive dies. People backup important files off PC hard drives so why not do the same for console hard drives?
    Man, I'm getting completely lost with some of this branching discussion.

We want memory cards back?

Both the 360 and the PS3 have USB slots which allow for games, saves and user profiles respectively to be copied/transferred and "taken to a friends house".

Microsoft discontinued XBOX 360-specific memory cards early in 360 production and Sony eliminated them completely prior to this console cycle beginning so, what would the point of a proprietary memory card be where USB is a widely utilized standard with really large format sticks available at low costs?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Both the 360 and the PS3 have USB slots which allow for games, saves and user profiles respectively to be copied/transferred and "taken to a friends house".
    You can use a USB drive for backing up saves? I wasn't aware of that being possible, I thought you needed some sort of transfer kit to transfer anything between consoles. The newest home console I currently have is a PS2 so I haven't used any of the current ones. Why is IHatedSega complaining about a lack of cards then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Calm down

I simply cut it down to what I was specifically responding to. It was as innocent as that and wasn't some sort of shady attempt to make you look stupid by selectively changing the meaning of your post.

I suppose I did miss the rest of the line I cut or it simply didn't register at the time since yes, I see that my reply wasn't really a response to exactly what you were saying. But it was as simple as that.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-22-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

You can use a USB drive for backing up saves? I wasn't aware of that being possible, I thought you needed some sort of transfer kit to transfer anything between consoles. The newest home console I currently have is a PS2 so I haven't used any of the current ones. Why is IHatedSega complaining about a lack of cards then?
    Yes, you can use USB sticks on both consoles to transfer data like game or game saves, which makes the argument for "memory cards" silly.

Just like with earlier systems, some games don't allow the saves to be "copied" to other physical memory devices but on PSN and XBL cloud saves will accept anything.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really care about the PS4 (or next xbox or wii u), but to answer the thread title, I think the industry grew up a little too fast and it's not a fun, niche-y, hobby business anymore. It's just a lot bigger, with a lot more people's money on the line, and a lot more business (and therefor marketing) influence. A lot of folks say "video games are still a young industry" and that's true to some extent, but it feels like it went from tween to middle aged, without any growing up in the middle. It tries to get respect from other media, but it hasn't earned any. That said, iOS, Android, Steam, Kickstarter and other things have brought some of the old school "hobby industry" mentality back, which is kind of the best of both worlds.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!