Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Default Needp advice and help with changing batteries in games

I'm about to purchase everything ill need on amazon. Batteries are pretty cheap on there a 5 pack is about $2 dollars vs in store retail price it would be even more for one battery.

I'm going to go with the most basic cheapest 20watt soldering iron which is like $7 bucks on amazon. For the time being that's all I need. If i get into bigger projects in the future ill consider a newer iron.

Now I know this is probably the most asked about topic when it comes to video game repairs.

I'm most likely going to be soldering directly to the battery as battery tabs are more expensive then the battery. Not to mention I plan to help fund my hobby If i can offer my services.

Bascially what I'm getting at is what is the safest way to go about this. What kind of protection should I use etc. This is my first time using a soldering iron so I'm not going to do my very first solder to the battery. I will practice test a few things first.

Being as I'm a noob with a iron I'm going to assume the battery will explode and was just wondering what kind of protection will I need?

Bascially what I want is not for people to tell me I shouldn't do this but to tell me advice on how not to hurt myself nor damage anything. I have no clue how big the explosion can be etc. How bad can the shrapnel be?

I'm thinking about doing this outside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I would advise against soldering directly to the battery, especially if you are new to soldering. It takes a lot of heat transfer to do so. In production, they aren't generally soldered anyways, they are spot welded.

If you don't want to get batteries with tabs then you would be better off getting coin cell holders. Solder them in place(use wires if you need to), then simply snap the battery in. Then if you ever need to replace the battery in the future it'll be incredibly easy to do.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I would advise against soldering directly to the battery, especially if you are new to soldering. It takes a lot of heat transfer to do so. In production, they aren't generally soldered anyways, they are spot welded.

If you don't want to get batteries with tabs then you would be better off getting coin cell holders. Solder them in place(use wires if you need to), then simply snap the battery in. Then if you ever need to replace the battery in the future it'll be incredibly easy to do.
    I'm not doing this just to fix a few of my games. Which I think only 2 games I own have dead batteries. I'm doing it so I can start offering my service for repairs.

It won't be cost sufficent to add coin cell holders. Specially at the prices I seem them for.

If all I was doing was repairing my two games I can see using battery holders as an option but it's not feasible with what I'm trying to do.

I know a lot of people that have games with dead batteries some of them triple AAA games. A lot of them don't have the time or want to learn to solder. I plan to fix some in exchange for their services,money or maybe they have doubles of a game or the like. So I have to learn to solder to the battery if I'm going to attempt what I'm wanting.

Like I said it's not like I plan just on fixing only my games other wise I would just buy the batteries already in the holders.

My plan is to just assume that one day I will expolde a battery and what should be done to prevent injury.
    Also as a side note from the prices I see on battery tabs and cell holders one single one exceeds the value of most retro games not counting 1st part titles.

A battery tab or coin holder is near like $5 bucks each one. I can't see how that would make sense to repair cheap games with. Maybe it's worth it to repair a 1st party title. I just don't see the point in reparing a cartridge when the materials will cost 2/3 of what it would cost to just replace the game.

A perfect example is one of games games with a dead battery is crystalis. It's under $10 bucks to buy a copy. Using cell holders or tabs could actually exceed the price in what it would cost to just buy another copy. The only good thing is that you know you have a fresh battery. While a replacement can die at any time.
    Last edited by needler420; 01-04-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battery holders are cheap if you buy in bulk. You can get 50 for under $20 shipped.
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by bust3dstr8 View Post
    Battery holders are cheap if you buy in bulk. You can get 50 for under $20 shipped.
    Besides on ebay where can I get those prices. It hasto be somewhere I don't need paypal.

I been looking on amazon and not liking what I saw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

^^^ And same goes for batteries with tabs...if you'd rather go that route.

Soldering to big chucks of metal(like a battery) takes practice. Like I said before, the factories don't even solder them, they weld them to avoid over heating the battery.

If you really want to try,it can be done but you might want to look into a face shield, or at least wear safety glasses. I've had a cap blow up in my face before and it wasn't much fun.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    Besides on ebay where can I get those prices. It hasto be somewhere I don't need paypal.

I been looking on amazon and not liking what I saw.
    You can get bulks of battery holders from electronic suppliers like DigiKey & Mouser.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm doing it so I can start offering my service for repairs.

I know a lot of people that have games with dead batteries some of them triple AAA games. A lot of them don't have the time or want to learn to solder. I plan to fix some in exchange for their services,money or maybe they have doubles of a game or the like. So I have to learn to solder to the battery if I'm going to attempt what I'm wanting.
    Yes, this makes sense. I know if I had a AAA game with a dead battery I'd like to send it to someone inexperienced for a half-assed replacement using cheap quality dollar store batteries and poor materials. The best part is also having to pay or trade for this repair service.

Always make sure to solder directly to the battery, if it doesn't explode at the very least the lifespan will be reduced somewhat. Then it can be replaced again sooner, and since it's all soldered it would have to be sent in for replacement again meaning you'll get repeat business. I can't see why this plan would fail.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Yes, this makes sense. I know if I had a AAA game with a dead battery I'd like to send it to someone inexperienced for a half-assed replacement using cheap quality dollar store batteries and poor materials. The best part is also having to pay or trade for this repair service.

Always make sure to solder directly to the battery, if it doesn't explode at the very least the lifespan will be reduced somewhat. Then it can be replaced again sooner, and since it's all soldered it would have to be sent in for replacement again meaning you'll get repeat business. I can't see why this plan would fail.

Business 101

I've never soldered in my life. Actually, I take that back... I did try once with my dad's soldering kit (was a big gun) and I tried to mod my friend's PS2 back over a decade ago. I almost destroyed it because the tip of the soldering gun was too big to handle the delicate/tiny parts on the PS2. That was the last time I ever picked up a soldering gun/iron until this past week
    Last edited by needler420; 01-04-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The advice given here is sound. I'd just add that you shouldn't even consider offering your services at this point. There are plenty of experienced technicians all over the web that offer the same service at super cheap prices...and these guys have been repairing electronics for years. Find some cheap carts to practice on, get quality supplies, and please listen to others here when they say you shouldn't solder directly to the battery. You don't go straight from "I've never soldered in my life" to "I'll solder your shit for a fee" in a day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before you try soldering to something like a game cart go to a thrift store and buy a cheap piece of electronics (not a tube tv), and take it apart and try soldering/desoldering on the board. The experience you gain from that using the iron is worth a lot, and also make sure to read/watch some tutorials to get a feel for how to solder. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to replace a battery once you've done it a couple times, but it's all about practice.

As for making a business out of this, I have an ad where I offer to replace save batteries locally at pretty close to cost when I have extra materials on hand and all the emails I've gotten are people asking me to solder other things for them. I'm not saying there's no demand for replacements, but you'll have a lot of competition and some people really don't mind dead batteries that much unless it's an RPG.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

if your good with tinkering i suggest you make something like this if your wanting to do a direct replacment:
    http://www.pocketmagic.net/2012/07/c...welder-cutter/

its pretty much how they would do it at the factory.

if not then i think cart games use 2032 batteries and you can get the holders from digikey

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

My problem is finding videos or tutorials soldering to CR2032 batteries. Every one is too chicken and uses a tab or holder.

Learning to solder won't be a problem for me at all. I have plenty of stuff to practice and BS with around the house. I also work really well with my hands. My problem is what I stated above, I don't have much to go by.

I don't think you will find a single youtube video of someone soldering to a CR2032 without using a tab or holder.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My problem is finding videos or tutorials soldering to CR2032 batteries. Every one is too chicken and uses a tab or holder.

I don't think you will find a single youtube video of someone soldering to a CR2032 without using a tab or holder.
    Probably for the same reason you won't find videos of someone fueling a gasoline tanker truck
    while smoking a fat cigar.
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

My problem is finding videos or tutorials soldering to CR2032 batteries. Every one is too chicken and uses a tab or holder. I don't think you will find a single youtube video of someone soldering to a CR2032 without using a tab or holder.
    The problem is that you're an idiot, you keep wanting to do something that shouldn't ever be done even after everyone else tells you exactly why you shouldn't be doing it.

I'm not bothered by people with little experience, that can be taken care of with practice and time. I have a problem with people with a half-assed type of attitude, rather than wanting to do something properly or the best way possible you want to go with a cheaper option even though it won't be paid for with your own money. It's only to save a few cents to maximize profit, paid for by other peoples' money. There's no reason to not use the right parts when you won't have to pay for it yourself.

I'll give another tip that won't be found on youtube, to check if a soldering iron is hot enough to use make sure to touch it with your bare hands. See if you can figure out why this tip won't have tutorial videos online. Is it a trade secret or a stupid idea? Try it out and decide for yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Hey, if you want to risk the battery exploding on you and get acid burns, by all means go for it.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    The problem is that you're an idiot, you keep wanting to do something that shouldn't ever be done even after everyone else tells you exactly why you shouldn't be doing it.

I'm not bothered by people with little experience, that can be taken care of with practice and time. I have a problem with people with a half-assed type of attitude, rather than wanting to do something properly or the best way possible you want to go with a cheaper option even though it won't be paid for with your own money. It's only to save a few cents to maximize profit, paid for by other peoples' money. There's no reason to not use the right parts when you won't have to pay for it yourself.

I'll give another tip that won't be found on youtube, to check if a soldering iron is hot enough to use make sure to touch it with your bare hands. See if you can figure out why this tip won't have tutorial videos online. Is it a trade secret or a stupid idea? Try it out and decide for yourself.
    You're the imbecile. It has been stated in previous posts that soldering to the battery is possible. I said in my first post I don't need idiots recommending me not to solder to the battery. And gee look at how persistent you are on giving me the advice I asked not for. Talk about being stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    Hey, if you want to risk the battery exploding on you and get acid burns, by all means go for it.
    I have all the equipment ill need to be protected enough to solder a CR2032. Just looking to find some more tutorials without someone using tabs or a holder.
    Last edited by needler420; 01-08-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

You're the imbecile. It has been stated in previous posts that soldering to the battery is possible. I said in my first post I don't need idiots recommending me not to solder to the battery. And gee look at how persistent you are on giving me the advice I asked not for. Talk about being stupid.
    That would be me. You seem to be ignoring everything else I said though. Soldering directly to a battery is a bad idea. Selling someone a cart with a soldered battery is also bad idea.

I have years of soldering practice and worked professionally in electronics assembly, repair, and engineering and I know that I could do it. I even know I could do it without it blowing up. But I still wouldn't attempt it because there are much better and easier alternatives.

I'm also a bit confused about how you're saying that battery with tabs and battery holders are too expensive when you also stated that you assumed you would be blowing up batteries in the process. Did you factor needing to replace your damaged batteries into the cost?
    Last edited by jb143; 01-08-2013 at 02:41 PM.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I have to say is that I would not want a battery that has been soldered to as the battery life will have probably been shortened.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just looking to find some more tutorials without someone using tabs or a holder.
    You can get like 100 CR2032 holders on eBay for less than $20, why would you not use those?
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection