Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn vs Turbo Grafx CD

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Saturn vs Turbo Grafx CD

In all regions combined, who had the best library of games? Or if you want to answer it a different way, which was best in Japan and then in America?

The Turbo library has a lot of unique shooters, RPGs and Castelvania. The Japanese Saturn has a bigger range of more well known classics, some came to America, but besides those it doesnt have much to offer. They both have good fighting games too, both required cards or cartridges to work. Both consoles had great libraries which a lot of people missed out on for various different reasons and were in 3rd place against their main competitors.

Which one do you like more, and why? :) And can you specifically name games that are often overlooked but are amazing? Im really getting interested in these libraries.
    Last edited by IHatedSega; 01-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This thread is how flame wars begin.

Seriously though, I would love to judge the entire library of games for both systems, but I haven't played either either enough to base a judgement.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its just for healthy discussion. They have things in common and a ton of people havent experienced their classics, so I want to hear what people think who have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love both way too much. But if I had to pick it would be Saturn.

I have to say my Saturn gets the most playtime and I collect for it aggressively

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    This thread is how flame wars begin.
    This isn't 4chan, reddit, youtube, gamespy or some other 13 year old's hangout. I think we can express our opinions with civility.

I also, admittedly do not have much experience with either system. I haven't even owned a Turbo CD. I did just finish playthroughs of Valis III, Rondo of Blood, and Lords of Thunder. I was very, very impressed.

I have owned a Saturn, but didn't dig too deeply into the system library at the time. It is high on my list of future aquirements.

I think I would lean towards the Saturn having the overall stronger library. You have at the very least:

Grandia
    Radiant Silvergun
    X-men vs Street Fighter

Any of which was enough reason to own a system by themselves.

One other thing that springs to mind for me is that the Turbo CD really felt like it was doing something with the CD audio, like the games really put a lot of emphasis on the new tech for the time. The Saturn had awesome music too, but I feel like many of the Turbo CD games I've tried almost play like the point is to experience the OST while playing a game, not the other way around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saturn also has Castlevania, unique shooters, and great RPGs.

I can't even consider the TGCD when placed by the Saturn. Maybe the Sega CD, but not the Saturn.

As far as fighters go, I can't think of more than 1 TG-16 fighter that I'd ever care about, not to mention having to hunt down a special controller just to make it playable :/
    Last edited by wiggyx; 01-06-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here is a bit of ancient wisdom: Buy good games, ignore bad ones.

There is no commandment that you must buy all the games, even the poor ones, or that you can only buy games for one system. I've had PC-Engine and Saturn games for years without either system.

Both the TG (actually forget that - go for the PC-Engine CD-ROM games) and the Saturn have games that are, in my view, irreplaceable. As I would focus only on those, it seems like the question being posed can mislead you into trying for a goal that you probably don't care about.

I would prefer it if the PC-Engine and Saturn had stronger showings in original titles, but when you consider that Dracula X (on PC-Engine) and Taromaru alone will easily set you back half a grand, that's either a lot of money to spend, or a lot of crap games you don't have to worry about.

I think the next PC-Engine game I'll buy is Earnest Evans, unless I find a reasonably-priced good entry in the Soldier series first. I wanted to like Kaze Kiri but it doesn't seem to control well.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 01-06-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My vote goes to the Saturn.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by gameofyou View Post
    My vote goes to the Saturn.
    What does that mean? You'd rather buy Legacy of War for its 3D glasses than Dracula X?

Nobody's on a desert island, here (and if I was, I'd sacrifice a bunch of early-style huge Saturn boxes to get all the PC-Engine hardware).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never owned or played the TG CD but I do actively collect for the PC Engine. Normally when discussing the Saturn compared to other systems(usually the PS1 and N64) I have to point out that the Saturn's US library is pretty weak. But it's Japanese library is on a whole other level. However, in this one case I'd have to say that even the Saturn's US library is better than the TG CD just based on available titles that I know of. Now when you compare the Japanese Saturn to the PC Engine the discussion gets alot more interesting. There are several good titles for both, although(as always) certain genres are better represented on either system. But all in all my vote would be for the Saturn, mainly because I use mine for it's deep treasure trove of import titles. Actually, I have a US Saturn and not a single US Saturn game. That alludes to how much I enjoy it's import titles.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Cherry (Level 1) Jack_Burton_BYOAC's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    As far as fighters go, I can't think of more than 1 TG-16 fighter that I'd ever care about, not to mention having to hunt down a special controller just to make it playable :/
    Fighting Street aka Street Fighter I is interesting to look at from a historical perspective. Also, the novelty of SF2 on the system is strong since it would have been one of the best ports back in the day.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    ...I have to point out that the Saturn's US library is pretty weak. But it's Japanese library is on a whole other level...
    Agreed. The TG/PCE CD has a lot of great games, particurlarly shooters, but if you include the import games, the Saturn has plenty of awesome shooters as well. Not to mention, I feel like the Saturn's library as a whole is more well-rounded. Fighting games, puzzle games, RGS, Racing, etc. You don't see many decent fighters on the TG-16, even with the imports.

I feel like this is an unfair comparison tho. The Saturn is clearly the more technologically advanced system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Burton_BYOAC View Post
    Fighting Street aka Street Fighter I is interesting to look at from a historical perspective. Also, the novelty of SF2 on the system is strong since it would have been one of the best ports back in the day.
    True, but it's a miserable game, and I can play SF2 on the Saturn via any one of the many collections. I'm looking at it strictly from a "games that I want to play" perspective. So, for me, there's ONE fighter on the TG/PCE that I'd ever care about and dozens on the Saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't a Turbo Gafx CD, but I did play a couple of its games on the vc. The only reasons I don't have it is I heard bad about things the durability of Turbo Duo and Pc Engine Duo R is on the expensive side on Ebay.

I am a Saturn owner. I can't read Japanese and that means no Japanese RPGS. The Saturn has very library. I only have 12 imports, but there is a lot of imports that I still want for the system. The Saturn has impressive shooters, good compilations, and has good Puzzle games.

The Saturn as whole to me well rounded as a system.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Turbo CD was an unmitigated disaster in the US and a no show in EU, most games are bad or are too rare for any sane player to want, The Sega Saturn isn't that great either but has a fair number of affordable and good games both the US and EU libraries are comparable, with a few good region exclusives. The Japanese lineup for both is great, worth noting that many Turbo CD publishers moved to the Sega Saturn after the PC-FX failed, particularly the ones involved with dating sims and shoot'em ups. Both systems are hit or miss in the US and EU but are great in JP.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

This is an unfair comparison. If it was against the Sega CD then the TG16CD would win, but this is weighed heavily in the Saturn's favor.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I don't see how this is a fair comparison but both console have a few things in common though.

1.Poor support in the u.s
    2.Both had a accessory that made use of fighters the arcade pro card and,the 1&4 meg ram cartridge.
    3.Both were a success in japan but failed in the u.s
    4.Poor marketing in the u.s but better in japan

So there ya go

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As far as collecting... Hmmm... The TGCD is probably rarer, but the Saturn will probably bring in more money.

As far as actually playing them... they both go straight up for sale while I go play a decent system. They both suck. Cue the hatred, but I'm not trolling, I'm dead serious. Give me a system that had more than 10 good games that were released in the U.S. SNES, PS1, N64, NES, take your pick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Oh come on. This kind of comparison doesn't touch the realm of fair. Try to find an American TGCD game that can compete head to head with Mega Man X4, and maybe some inkling of a case can be drawn up. Closest thing I can name are the Bonk games.

Not to mention video output. RGB vs composite (TGCD uses the expansion port, blocking TG16's RGB pins) is so one-sided it's barely worthy of mention.
    Lum fan.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    As far as actually playing them... they both go straight up for sale while I go play a decent system. They both suck. Cue the hatred, but I'm not trolling, I'm dead serious. Give me a system that had more than 10 good games that were released in the U.S. SNES, PS1, N64, NES, take your pick.
    Both the Saturn and TG16 are good. Most of the best Saturn games are already on the PSX. It's got some good games on its own, but if you have most of the best PSX games then there's not much point in getting it unless you want to play those good games that aren't on the PSX.

The TG16 is also good, but the CD kind of sucks because unless you live in Japan there's very few good games on it. The better games are also pretty expensive.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.