Thread: Shadow of the Colossus Freezing Problem (PS2)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Default Shadow of the Colossus Freezing Problem (PS2)

Alright I been wanting to play this sucker since it came out way back but I never had a PS2.

I am running a used PS2 fat model i scored at Goodwill. I know it works because I've played through Katamari Damacy all the way on it!

Now whats going on is I am on the 3rd colossus and I'll be going to the area where you need to be (large body of water with structure in the middle with a spiral ramp that you have to climb). Well i move towards the spiral ramp and the game freezes. Whats really weird is it does this all the way across the board same location whether i try to enter it through the water all or walk around the water to get it lined up and then just shoot across.. Its almost like there is a invisible line that cuts through the area that causes the game to just freeze.... Everything around the character is still in motion his garb still floating around in the breeze and sometimes the horse will still will be walking around. And then the screen goes blank and you hit a button after that and the game restarts.

I've briefly looked into this and people say this will happen randomly at random points from time to time (some will go without ever seeing this problem). They're only diagnosis is that the PS2 is over heating (which I felt the console and doesn't feel warm at all) or the game is bad. And I am hoping the game isn't bad :/. I had no issues up until that point

HELP!!!!!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

No Body?...... Hmph

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The disc might be defective or damaged. Even if no scratches are visible, the disc could have been yanked out of the case too hard, bending the plastic enough to cause damage in some of the microscopic read pits.

To confirm which is defective, try the game on another PS2 along with your game save. Borrow a friend's game and try on your PS2.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was playing this game with a girl I know a couple of years back, and ran into this freezing problem just before the very last colossus. After some googling I found out that this was a rather common bug which can happen anywhere in the game, and the only way to get past it is to restart the game with a new save. Regardless to say, I have not completed this game yet. :P I even bought a brand new copy of this game because I originally thought it was something wrong with the disc, but that didn't help at all.

Apparently, this bug is fixed on the PS3 version, though I also heard some new bugs were introduced - though perhaps not game breaking ones, like this.

Though, if you restart the game and it still freezes on the roughly the same spot, it is most likely a faulty disc. But as mentioned, freezing like that is a common bug in this game.