Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gamestop is ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gamestop is ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

I shop at gamestop maybe two times a freaking year and it's always just for some pre-order bonus I can't live without, but from now on I don't care what they are offering I'm never shopping there again.

I pre-ordered anarchy reigns for ps3 at gamestop to get the Bayonetta code and this morning I walk into the store to get my game and they tell me my pre-order copy has been gutted and it on the sales floor. WHAT THE HELL?

I'm pretty pissed so the manager calls the other store across town to see if they have any sealed copies, they do so I head over and pick it up. It kinda pissed me off but oh well, I got my game and went home... That's when I realize the MANAGER rung up the the 360 version and gave me 360 DLC codes, but handed me the PS3 copy. I'm not even going back to the store. I don't care about this DLC character anymore at this point and they can seriously just go off an die. I managed a Game Crazy for five years and for two different managers at stores to make mistakes such as these is absurd. I don't care if they give out life size solid snake statues with the next MGS. I am not supporting that place.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yeah, there's always a possibility for them to screw up the pre-order download codes that are printed out.

I frequently run into those problems when pre-ordering something, and it's always a crapshoot as to whether the pre-order bonus is going to be on the receipt or on a card in the game box.

Since it DID matter to me about the Bayonetta code, I made sure that everything was in order before I left the store. Made sure it wasn't in the box, made sure that it was correctly printed on the receipt.

I'm sure if you call Gamestop's corporate help line 800-883-8895 they can get you the right code. I think they have access to the same POS system as the stores.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stopped buying from Gamestop a long time ago - I think that Xenoblade Chronicles was the last game I got there, and I only bought it there because I had no choice. I know it's not the fault of the employees, but I've never been a big fan of the hard sell (like they do with preorders and their discount cards). What I hated the most though is the flak I constantly took for daring to ask for a copy of a new release without having a preorder. I've had this happen in more than one store - employees actually sounding offended that I would ask for a copy of a new game that I hadn't preordered, even when they had lots of copies available. They even did this with Xenoblade (which I hadn't even heard of until a few days before the game was released).

I just buy all of my console games from Amazon. They always charge less than Gamestop and they have release day delivery for most AAA titles. Between Amazon and Steam (for PC games), I have no reason (or desire) to step into a Gamestop ever again.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

First Gamestop hate thread of the year!

I really hate retailer exclusive stuff and what happened to you is one of the worst possible scenarios. The worst one being them refusing to give you any codes because they kept them for themselves. Which has happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Welcome to the club Loganm187!
    I haven't set foot in a Gamestop since around 2007.

Every single visit was wrought with problems. They once refused to sell me a regular version of Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube, because they were trying to coerce me into buying a smashed collectors tin with no instructions, no game case, no hologram print, and just a loose disc.

When I purchased the Tekken 5 Hori joystick package, everything was gutted and they tried to say it didn't some with the game, even thought it clearly stated on the box that the game was included. ...much arguing and finally they retrieved a copy of the game. Then when I get home I discover the joystick is broken - then they won't allow me to return it because the package was opened. Well duh, they gutted and opened it.

My one preorder story: I had preordered Gradius V for PS2 so that I could get the limited DVD. The special DVD did not come in with the game so I was told to "check back" in a few days. I was literally moving out of town the next week and had limited time. When I back to get the disc the manager working said he had no record that it belonged to me. He said he would only give it to me if I put down $5 toward a new pre-order, wtf!, but I really wanted that limited DVD so I put $5 toward Out Run 2.
    I moved the next day so I never went to that store again, and they basically stole $5 from me.

I have at least a half dozen more equally appalling personal stories about Gamestop, and I only really ever went there maybe 2-3 times a year. Yet every time there was some obnoxious issue with the service.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Honestly, if it means Gamestop going under, I welcome digital distribution with open arms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I can only imagine how a Gamestop employee keeps sane. Having to deal with obsessive gamers all day would drive me mental.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Guess I'm one of the more lucky ones, nothing too horrific outside of opened "new" copies of games, and I rarely get hassled about pre-ordering.

Looks like all those magazine racks I knocked over paid off after all!

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ehh got a huge ongoing gamestop/ebay rant thread over at NA which is fun and disturbing to read.

I personally will walk into one but perhaps 1 in 50 or a 100x I'll buy something, and I don't regular and rarely wander in. I got angry at them years ago with their lies, I think the last time I was regular at one was when the Wii came out, and went in a few time after but when I caught them peddling bootleg DS titles as legit I stopped entirely. Even at that rate it was only on used goods.

Their awful policy of 1/3 value trade-in on a new release game is wrong, just as is their $5 off used vs a new game pricing(or that percentage on cheaper stuff.)

What got me totally out of NEW items, is they're committing in many areas depending on local laws a crime. Legally speaking if you open up a factory sealed item, sleeve the game disc/card, maybe sleeve the paperwork, and then put the box or box and paperwork out on the shelf, face it, IT IS USED. The seal is shot, and the stuff out on the shelf can have product codes or club nintendo points stolen, and I'm sure we've seen our range of clean to nauseatingly dirty people you can smell coming...and now they're touching that 'NEW' box you'll be getting. I've tried to call them on that crap multiple times and they'll usually get short, snotty and adamant that it's a new product, or I'll get one to agree admitting the policy is junk but nothing can be done. Sometimes those 'new' shelf games get employee 'rented' out too, which also is not new. I wish more people would wise up and stop going there.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    I can only imagine how a Gamestop employee keeps sane. Having to deal with obsessive gamers all day would drive me mental.
    I'd imagine dealing with clueless grandmothers who don't get that Mario isn't on the PS3 would be worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I would try preordering online next time. Save you the hassle and they email you the code. If they made a mistake, you can email them asking for the correct code.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like the above poster said, try to get digital copies or codes via email. Not only it's that faster, but it's faster too repair if it's something wrong with it and it saves you the hassle of going out

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

My brother worked at Gamestop for about a year. It was never really the customers that got to him, but the other employees, mostly the managers. Not sure if everyone knows this but it is required that at the end of your shift, after being clocked out, you have to be patted down to make sure you aren't stealing from the store. I found it funny how he'd get warnings for not getting enough pre-orders. Its like asking people if they want to super size thier value meal. If they don't wanna do it, they aren't going to do it. Its not like the employees are getting commision on selling these preorders and cards either. Their only incentive is they get to keep their jobs.

Like many people have said already, I only go into gamestop when I have no other choice (mostly for obscure game purchases.) I don't usually order online (unless it can only be ordered online) because I don't see leaving my house to be a hassle. I like to go to target to buy new games because a lot of the time they'll have a deal going where you can get a $5 gift card and such.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ever since they stopped carrying a wide range of PC games, I have never been in one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    First Gamestop hate thread of the year!

I really hate retailer exclusive stuff and what happened to you is one of the worst possible scenarios. The worst one being them refusing to give you any codes because they kept them for themselves. Which has happened.
    Yeah, it's kind of crazy too because you know most of the people on ebay selling 10+ preorder bonuses from a game were working at GameStop and probably just took them all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amazon. There's your solution. Almost always cheaper, and the games come right to your door. Haven't set for in a Gamestop in two years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So they inconvenienced you and you're done with 'em? Complain to corporate and they'll more than likely make it right. I'm no fan of GameStop, but this shit is comedic. Everyone makes mistakes, including big retailers. If they have been good to you beyond this 'massive' inconvenience give 'em a second chance.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    So they inconvenienced you and you're done with 'em? Complain to corporate and they'll more than likely make it right. I'm no fan of GameStop, but this shit is comedic. Everyone makes mistakes, including big retailers. If they have been good to you beyond this 'massive' inconvenience give 'em a second chance.
    The problem is that some of the inconveniences are the result of official company policy (especially the preorder hard-sell tactics), so all the complaining in the world won't change a thing. It's easier to vote with my wallet and just avoid giving them the business in the first place.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    Amazon. There's your solution. Almost always cheaper, and the games come right to your door. Haven't set for in a Gamestop in two years.
    Not if you buy collector's editions or anything that can get damaged in transit. After having as high as a 50% damage rate last year with Amazon, I switched all my preorders for collector's editions over to Gamestop. Haven't had a single problem since and maybe I just have a great local store, but they are super friendly and always have what I ordered ready for pickup in perfect shape. I think Gamestop is like any large chain, there are good locations and bad ones and if you find a good location, you will be happy.