Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gamestop is ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    My brother worked at Gamestop for about a year. It was never really the customers that got to him, but the other employees, mostly the managers. Not sure if everyone knows this but it is required that at the end of your shift, after being clocked out, you have to be patted down to make sure you aren't stealing from the store. I found it funny how he'd get warnings for not getting enough pre-orders. Its like asking people if they want to super size thier value meal. If they don't wanna do it, they aren't going to do it. Its not like the employees are getting commision on selling these preorders and cards either. Their only incentive is they get to keep their jobs.

Like many people have said already, I only go into gamestop when I have no other choice (mostly for obscure game purchases.) I don't usually order online (unless it can only be ordered online) because I don't see leaving my house to be a hassle. I like to go to target to buy new games because a lot of the time they'll have a deal going where you can get a $5 gift card and such.
    I used to work at Toys'R'Us. The manager always gave me shit because I wouldn't sell batteries or the store's insurance scams. Oh I offered them. But I never pushed people to get them.

I think that was one of the reasons I was laid off sooner than most of the store despite working my ass off everywhere else.

And then the manager got busted for faking the books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post

What got me totally out of NEW items, is they're committing in many areas depending on local laws a crime.
    Care to cite any actual laws making it so? Because people tend to just think things are illegal when they aren't (like a store accepting a return on an open game, sorry not illegal because of "copyright laws" just against store policy because they don't want people treating them like free rental services)

If it's illegal to put out a display copy, then I guess it's illegal for every store in existence to open up products and put them on the shelves for people to look at. Hey Best Buy, that row of TV's you have out for everyone to see? ILLEGAL!

If you don't want to buy an opened display copy of a game, don't buy it, that's the solution. Doesn't mean selling display copies for full price is illegal.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Care to cite any actual laws making it so? Because people tend to just think things are illegal when they aren't (like a store accepting a return on an open game, sorry not illegal because of "copyright laws" just against store policy because they don't want people treating them like free rental services)

If it's illegal to put out a display copy, then I guess it's illegal for every store in existence to open up products and put them on the shelves for people to look at. Hey Best Buy, that row of TV's you have out for everyone to see? ILLEGAL!

If you don't want to buy an opened display copy of a game, don't buy it, that's the solution. Doesn't mean selling display copies for full price is illegal.
    You're generally correct, however, Gamestop did settle a lawsuit a few years ago because in many states, if you open the packaging on an item, it's no longer "new" and you must disclose that fact to the consumer. In California I know Gamestop locations had to post signage for a couple of years explaining that "new games" might be opened or could be store returns or loan-out copies that the employees tested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post

In most places, opening a new product for display is probably not illegal. However, pretty much every other store that does so (like Best Buy) offers a discount to somebody who buys the display model. It might not be a huge discount (3-5%), but it acknowledges that the product, by having been opened and put on display, is no longer 'new'. Gamestop makes things even worse by allowing employees to borrow these games - once another person has taken the disc home and played the game on their console, then the game is no longer new, regardless of what Gamestop says.

Personally, an open box game for something I'm intending to play anyway isn't a big deal, but opening up games and allowing employees to play them definitely crosses the line into 'no longer new' for me, and the resulting game should be discounted accordingly.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaniel View Post
    In most places, opening a new product for display is probably not illegal. However, pretty much every other store that does so (like Best Buy) offers a discount to somebody who buys the display model. It might not be a huge discount (3-5%), but it acknowledges that the product, by having been opened and put on display, is no longer 'new'. Gamestop makes things even worse by allowing employees to borrow these games - once another person has taken the disc home and played the game on their console, then the game is no longer new, regardless of what Gamestop says.

Personally, an open box game for something I'm intending to play anyway isn't a big deal, but opening up games and allowing employees to play them definitely crosses the line into 'no longer new' for me, and the resulting game should be discounted accordingly.
    I used to just say screw it and buy the opened new copies if I intended on playing it right away anyway until I found out that those copies of games were being rented out to employees. It got to the point where I went to the 2 Gamestops in the mall near me looking for Persona 4 Arena. Both places only had the display copies and I turned them both down. After I told them I was all set, they tried telling me that there was nothing wrong with them and tried talking me into buying it anyways. I called best buy to see if they had the game and just bought it from there. At first I didn't think Best Buy would have carried a Persona game like that, but turns out I should have gone there in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I'd imagine dealing with clueless grandmothers who don't get that Mario isn't on the PS3 would be worse.
    I worked at a gamespot for about a year and they are buy far the worse customers. I haven't been in a gamestop after I quit. Single worst company I have ever worked for. The management at my store had never owned or played a video game system.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Also, I'm sure most of us have read the articles. Do a google search on worst places to work in 2012. The CEO approval rating is at 32%.

http://money.msn.com/investing/the-1...es-to-work-for

they are at #10 of 11

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by DK1105 View Post
    I worked at a gamespot for about a year and they are buy far the worse customers. I haven't been in a gamestop after I quit. Single worst company I have ever worked for. The management at my store had never owned or played a video game system.
    thats the problem with corporations they just hire random people and boast them as experts in the field when really they couldn't tell in this case who mario to sonic to crash bandicoot is. Its kinda sad really.

Thats why I love mom and pop shops because they are more likely die hard gamers and know what the hell they are talking about.

One thing I always loved about gamestop (and EB did this too) is I would come in and they will stop whatever conversation they will have if your the only customer to walk in at that moment and immediately talking to each other like "yo you played the new halo game yet? Master Chief is pretty badass in it!" ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    One thing I always loved about gamestop (and EB did this too) is I would come in and they will stop whatever conversation they will have if your the only customer to walk in at that moment and immediately talking to each other like "yo you played the new halo game yet? Master Chief is pretty badass in it!" ....
    Ahahaha! Are you serious?! xD

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    Ahahaha! Are you serious?! xD
    I've actually caught employees doing this a few times.
    Some of the older ones who you can easily tell don't play video games at all they will stop and it almost feels like they pull the first title they see on the wall in whatever direction they are looking at and be like "yea such a great game blah blah blah"

The only chain place i've actually gotten a employee to come straight with me about a product was believe it or not "Movie Gallery" (anyone remember them? Just like Block Buster)... I went to go rent Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon for the first time when it came out on DVD and I was so stoked to see awesome martial arts and ect ect and the employee was like "You might be disapointed" and i was like why's that? "it kinda takes awhile to really get into the full on action" which i went against his word but ya know appreciate the honesty
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 01-09-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Personally lately I would have to say Target has had better prices for new games when compared with gamestop, especially when they have a sale on a particular title. Some of their prices on basic items are even better than Walmart.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I went back to gamestop today to get my ps3 code AFTER selling the xbox code I had received by mistake for 20 bucks. So I got the game for 10 bucks after 3 trips and an ebay sell. I'm satisfied now, but I am never walking in the store again. The manager there tried to get me to pre-order Ni No Kuni and I told him I had the limited wizards edition from Namco already ordered and he just flat out lied to me and said that their limited edition was the same. SERIOUSLY? Everyone knows that is a namco exclusive and pre-orders were finished in August. They must be desperate to keep their jobs...poor guys.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember when 1 Gamestop told me flat out that they gave away my pre-order bonus for Generation of Chaos, They did call up another location to fetch one, after I threatened to pull my preorder (Which was paid off in full a month in advance, I was also the first preorder at that location.) BTW that was at the one good location we had at the time. Any time I preorder anything I ask about the bonus (if any) long before release day and if they look like they are about to flake out I make a preorder with another store, that saved my ass on Tales of Vesperia (when they managed to f*** up 3 preorders in 1 week).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Blast, like bojay cited, I was thinking of the California ruling there since I was living there at the time. The state (and you want to dig the website, have fun) has laws on the books about deceptive business practices, everything from honoring posted sale prices having to be honored if left out despite being over to crap like misrepresentation of the product as it's called deceptive business practices (ie: lying to make a sale under false pretenses.) Gamestop got busted for selling 'new' at full price when it was opened and therefore used.

Display of a new product opened by a store is totally legit as Damaniel pointed out. But the thing is, you know it is, the store makes it clear and tends to give discounts, or puts it under the returns but ok "open box" policy which the store covers for a term + whatever the original items warranty is like that table they have at best buy. I'm fine with open box, but I want the sign there saying as such and a discount since it has hours of usage on it as it's not new. Gamestop doesn't do this, they lie, leave product out to get manhandled and potentially codes (dlc, club nintendo) to be stolen while employees check the game out to learn the product or enjoy it. That's just not new, they got sued for it and lost but as a state vs federal ruling they just got the forced placement of disclaimers in CA.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    I remember when 1 Gamestop told me flat out that they gave away my pre-order bonus for Generation of Chaos, They did call up another location to fetch one, after I threatened to pull my preorder (Which was paid off in full a month in advance, I was also the first preorder at that location.) BTW that was at the one good location we had at the time. Any time I preorder anything I ask about the bonus (if any) long before release day and if they look like they are about to flake out I make a preorder with another store, that saved my ass on Tales of Vesperia (when they managed to f*** up 3 preorders in 1 week).
    Thats why i don't pre order because of this. Only thing i ever preordered was the psp and i felt like that was a mistake to this day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The last time I was in a Gamestop, I wanted to bitch slap the manager. I had been talking to an employee a few days earlier who was interested in buying some of my older games, but before we could arrange something, he got swamped with school kids looking for something, and I didn't have time to stick around. The next day, I went back and the guy wasn't working, so I asked the manager if he could pass along my info. Instead of doing so like a normal human being, he starts yelling about how that's against store policy, and he wanted to know who I had talked to. I told him to calm down and forget about it, and explained that these were items that I had brought in to trade, but were too old for the store to take, but he was still a dick about it and wanted me to help him figure out who this rogue employee was who had the audacity to buy some old games from a customer that the store didn't want. I just laughed in his face and walked out. I haven't been back since. I don't know if it's company policy or what, but every GS manager I've ever dealt with has been a complete tool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

A good way to judge a person's character is to watch how they treat anyone they have no obligation to be kind to.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I can't remember the last time I was in a GameStop. But I do remember that the last few trips involved bringing marked down "new" games up to the counter, asking if they still had any sealed copies, finding out they don't for most or all, and then abandoning the cases at the counter. Kind of an awkward situation and a waste of my time, so it's typically not worth the effort looking for some deals there. And if I wanted to buy games at their full MSRP near launch, I'd just buy on Amazon.

As for problems with them, I guess I've never had anything too bad. One thing that was annoying was that I was probably one of the few people on Earth to pre-order Chulip for PS2, haha, yet the store didn't get in any of the pre-order bonus keychains. To try to make up for it, they gave me a God of War 2 demo, which still sits on my shelf sealed because I couldn't possibly give less of a shit about the God of War series. Hell, just looking at me, I don't exactly look like someone who would be interested in God of War, and I don't think there are any two games in further apart demographics than Chulip and God of War, haha. Knowing my luck, I bet that Chulip keychain is probably pretty rare these days.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I haven't bothered going often since they stopped carrying GBA games and are now phasing out the previous generation, I suppose they still have DS games but they're usually too expensive for me to bother with.

I remember buying a new game and paying with cash, I changed my mind on it and it was still sealed unopened so I brought it back to the same store wanting a refund. I was told that they don't give refunds in cash and they wanted to give me store credit instead. I could see the store's return policy right in front of me by the cash register, it said unopened merchandise could be refunded and that refunds are to be given out in the same form as the original payment. I paid with cash so I should have got cash back, it was some cheap game under $10 total so they should have had enough cash available to do this. I ended up having to take it to another location and they gave me a full refund without any problems. That made me want to avoid buying too many things there as there would always be potential problems if I needed to return or exchange something.

They do have cheap games for some titles, I remember seeing some cheap PS2 games for $0.99 the last time I was there. I didn't bother buying them but they were priced well at least, I think one of them was Harvey Birdman. Every now and then I've seen cheap DS games too for under 5 dollars but those titles are always terrible so I don't bother with them anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Not if you buy collector's editions or anything that can get damaged in transit. After having as high as a 50% damage rate last year with Amazon, I switched all my preorders for collector's editions over to Gamestop. Haven't had a single problem since and maybe I just have a great local store, but they are super friendly and always have what I ordered ready for pickup in perfect shape. I think Gamestop is like any large chain, there are good locations and bad ones and if you find a good location, you will be happy.
    Just a question, do you have Amazon Prime or just use the super saver shipping? Because I realized recently that when I bought games using an account with Prime I almost always get it shipped using a box. Using super saver shipping things would come in bubble mailers and be crushed/damaged. Prime isn't that cheap at $80 year, but it's pretty sweet.