Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gamestop is ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Like some have mentioned, it's all dependent on the people you deal with. I'm cheap so I like to wait until the price of games drop down before I pick them up and one of the games I wanted to get was no longer available new except for one location, an airforce base that you can't get on as a civilian no matter what. I called the Gamestop and asked if they'd be able to bring a copy of the game to another Gamestop store, they took my information, brought it there the next day and called me letting me know it was there to pick up. I want to get Xenoblade Chronicles and can't find it anywhere else so I'll have to do the same for that one to. That's the only Gamestop location near me that has it in stock.

I've had issues at Gamestop as well though. For Gamecube I bought Fight Night Round 2 new. It was gutted and I didn't check the game until I get home. It had a light, although noticeable scratch on it. That's when I stopped purchasing gutted games unless there was no other option and I check it all the time before purchase.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    if someone was asked to leave the store because they walked in covered in feces
    When I worked at EB in Willowbrook, I actually had a customer walk in covered in feces a few times. I wasn't allowed to ask him to leave though. I had to help him pick out a PlayStation game each time, and keep a straight face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Yeah, "reading is fundamental" ...then go back and notice that I've referenced many more than two instances.
    Go back and notice that I in no way stated that "holding things hostage" applied to everyone - and that it was a response to someone claiming that we the customer must decide how Gamestop can serve us. It was an example, among others, which has occurred to customers at Gamestops.
    Now go read how the people I took issue with who wrote of positive experiences, those people also made statements that marginalized or denigrated those of us who have had negative experiences. It was their attitude toward people who had bad experiences that I have addressed in my posts. No where did I question their good experiences.
    You still lumped everyone who opined differently from you as apologists (no marginalization or denigration there!), and you still acted as though your own experiences were somehow more valid than anyone else's.

You going on about Namco completely misses the point which I and others have stated repeatedly. Which is (and try to keep up here) - the problems at Gamestop have been frequent and recurring among many gamers across the entire country over a period of many years.
    No, the entire point is that people have had bad and good experiences, and your mileage may vary, just as with any other store. If that isn't your own particular case, then sorry for you.

This thread was about Gamestop and the problems that some have had with their service.
    That's very nice that some of you like to shop there. Just don't come into a thread like this and try to diminish the bad experiences which Gamestop has provided gamers for over a decade.
    I'll come in here and call out people who label others who think differently, and I'll do it repeatedly, thank you. No one is "diminishing" anything. People have simply shared positive experiences, as others have shared their negative ones. If that isn't to your liking, then again, sorry for you.

PS Melf, if you want to change the person you are addressing in a post, then it might be wise to give some clear indication. You have three paragraphs directed at me. Then the 4th, in your mind, is addressed to Frankie, yet you provide no indication that you've changed who you are speaking to.
    Wow, you think you're the only one posting in this thread? I'll be sure to identify my responses from now on so that others know they're part of the conversation...

Furthermore, for some guy who likes to spout "reading is fundamental" like a retarded 2nd grader, you sure do fall short. You think I had a Xenoblade preorder? You think I referenced only two instances of bad service. You think I proclaim Gamestop is "evil". You think I have generalized that my experiences are "law". You think I said your experience at Namco doesn't matter? Yet none of those things can be traced to what I have written. Try reading again, because you clearly failed the first time.
    Lol, my god... I'm not going to quote the stuff you wrote, since others have already pointed it out. If you want to resort to insults, then go troll someone else.
    Last edited by Melf; 01-29-2013 at 03:35 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I attacked you and the other guy who made allusions that people who have issues with Gamestop are OCD nitpickers or "fragile and can't deal with trials and tribulations of life". I did not question nor attack their good experiences. I attacked the attitudes which suggest that us customers are the problem, and not Gamestop.
    Oh yeah, and the guy I first called an apologist was complaining that the entire chain shouldn't be criticized for the actions of some stores. When the actions of some stores are consistently upsetting to customers all across the country, over more than a decade, then yes, it is absolutely legitimate to criticize a company that has grown to a monopoly and regularly leaves customers screwed.

Good catch on my timeframes. I'm glad my perspective on this subject interests you so much.
    I had not set foot in a Gamestop since sometime around 2007. The two years ago reference in regards to my experience with trying to purchase Yakuza 2 was at an EB, but I've since realized they are one in the same with Gamestop. My experience with Xenoblade Chronicles occurred after I made my original posts in this thread.
    So yes, now I have actually set foot in a Gamestop in since 2007, and the experience was just as insipid as ever.
    I find it fairly untenable that the simple act of buying a video game is an experience with such delicate conditions that bad customer service or shoddy store policy can render it so unbelievably offensive that an otherwise perfectly sound and rational person becomes as enraged as you are. In the course of commerce, the service GameStop provides is at the bottom of the list as far as severity goes. There's no pressing health concerns since they don't sell food, Other than credit cards they don't deal with particularly sensitive information, the merchandise isn't particularly high in value, etc. So, yes, whenever people throw a fit over the store I tend to wonder what could possibly have happened.

Not to mention, nobody is "defending" GameStop. What people have been doing is prioritizing. See, the thing that you don't seem to understand is that a person can observe GameStop, acknowledge its failings, and consider them relatively insignificant in the grand scheme. Either that or they consider them offensive enough to simply drive them to seek out alternatives. Both options are the sensible ones and don't result in a conniption.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I can save all of your keyboards from the constant hammering out of walls of text:

Gamestop's policies and practices are bad for the industry and the consumer.
    Despite this, individual employees sometimes manage to give reasonable customer service.

Does that about cover it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Maybe I can save all of your keyboards from the constant hammering out of walls of text:

Gamestop's policies and practices are bad for the industry and the consumer.
    Despite this, individual employees sometimes manage to give reasonable customer service.

Does that about cover it?
    Thank you.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I still stop in from time to time, mostly when they are having buy 2 get 1 free sales. I normally buy used anyway, so as long as the game works, I'm good. Only rule I have about them is to pay cash. I've had too many problems in the past with them telling me my card didn't work or that they don't take checks (which is bullshit, by the way, all Gamestop take checks, if they tell you they don't, they are being lazy).
    As of 1/1/13 all Gamestop locations (in the US, hell if I know what the foreign stores do) have stopped taking checks.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Holy shit people. It's a retail establishment. If YOU don't like how things are, you can tell them by not spending money there. Bitching on the internets in a forum that they'll never see doesn't do a damn thing.

For those that keep coming back for more. Let it go. Your point has been made. Quit the bickering and sniping at those whos opinions are not the same as yours.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    As of 1/1/13 all Gamestop locations (in the US, hell if I know what the foreign stores do) have stopped taking checks.
    About time, really. These days I reserve checks for paying bills.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    I never heard of retail stores accepting cheques until I visited the US, no retail store I've been to here will accept them. You might as well be offering to pay with pre-paid phone cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    If YOU don't like how things are, you can tell them by not spending money there. Bitching on the internets in a forum that they'll never see doesn't do a damn thing.
    Except that they have become a monopoly and now have exclusive distribution on some releases.

Sharing stories on the internet about bad experiences at Gamestop will hopefully sway others to also not spend money there.
    Thank YOU.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Except that they have become a monopoly and now have exclusive distribution on some releases.

Sharing stories on the internet about bad experiences at Gamestop will hopefully sway others to also not spend money there.
    Thank YOU.
    Perhaps you should look up the term "monopoly". As long as Ebay, Craiglist, various web forums and sale sites and Amazon exist, not to mention the many other retailers like Toys R Us, Best Buy, Target and small mom and pop shops that buy and sell used games, Gamestop will never be a monopoly. As for exclusive distribution, Walmart and Amazon have also had exclusive titles. With the exception of some collector's editions (which were available in regular versions elsewhere), I'm not aware of any true Gamestop exclusive game since Xenoblade was sold directly by Nintendo as well which is where I purchased my copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Perhaps you should look up the term "monopoly". As long as Ebay, Craiglist, various web forums and sale sites and Amazon exist, not to mention the many other retailers like Toys R Us, Best Buy, Target and small mom and pop shops that buy and sell used games, Gamestop will never be a monopoly. As for exclusive distribution, Walmart and Amazon have also had exclusive titles. With the exception of some collector's editions (which were available in regular versions elsewhere), I'm not aware of any true Gamestop exclusive game since Xenoblade was sold directly by Nintendo as well which is where I purchased my copy.
    Perhaps you should look in the strip malls and shopping centers across America. The only dedicated game retailer is Gamestop. In many areas having two or more stores just blocks away from each other on the same street. In some malls having two stores in the same mall.

"Every time you spend your money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Perhaps you should look in the strip malls and shopping centers across America. The only dedicated game retailer is Gamestop. In many areas having two or more stores just blocks away from each other on the same street. In some malls having two stores in the same mall.

"Every time you spend your money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want."
    Still not a monopoly, just a sign of a successful retail chain.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I assume Gamestop employees keep some of the preorder bonuses for themselves or get them first if they preordered the game themselves? Or do some stores not get any at all? It was advertised so I assume ALL stores would have it. I preordered Dragon Quest VI, wanting to get a plush slime collectable. I went to get the game, and I was told I was the first to pick it up. But I was told they didn't receive any, which I thought was kind of fishy.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Streetball 21 View Post
    So I assume Gamestop employees keep some of the preorder bonuses for themselves or get them first if they preordered the game themselves? Or do some stores not get any at all? It was advertised so I assume ALL stores would have it. I preordered Dragon Quest VI, wanting to get a plush slime collectable. I went to get the game, and I was told I was the first to pick it up. But I was told they didn't receive any, which I thought was kind of fishy.
    There are definitely times when not every store will get the preorder bonus because of a distribution problem or delay, but there are also times when the employees take the bonus items for themselves. I personally haven't run into that issue, but I know other people who have. Unfortunately, I've had the same issue at Best Buy on some of their preorder bonus items as well.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Streetball 21 View Post
    Yes, safe to say that non-saleable, non-inventoried "promo" items are typically taken by store employees however this is not at all unique to GameStop stores. That kind of thing happens everywhere and with all manner of promo merch.

Doesn't make it right, but it happens.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

God, this debate.

I suddenly understand why so many people jumped down my throat during the TV Tropes thread. Because a lot of the same bullshit happens here.

It's like:

KAO ZO: I'm the only one making any sense.

EVERYONE ELSE: Well, then we're going to pretend you're saying something you're not and compare your complaints to something that's not even similar to the thing you're complaining about. Aren't you glad we're not on a jury or anything? We'd probably get an innocent man sent to the electric chair or something.

BIG MACINTOSH: Eeeyup.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

And, we're all done here.

Goodnight kids.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"