Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pfffft! Forget the NEO GEO X !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    OldSchoolGamer I'm totally with you on the worthlessness of the SNES emulators for PSP. Sorry I prejudged it so harshly. I might be interested in picking one up maybe.

Let me ask a few emulation speific questions about that device.

What is the storage source? SD? Micro SD? Something built in?

Does it support:

NES and Famciom with expansion audio?
    Famicom Disk System?
    Master System with FM Synthesis?
    GameBoy/GameBoy Color?
    Genesis?
    Sega CD?
    NeoGeo Pocket Color?
    GameBoy Advance?

also, do the various emulators support .png screenshot capabilities?
    I will say this one last time PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE watch the playlist I linked to of demonstration videos. Famicom Disk System has a demonstration dedicated to it. I provided links and info that it seems people keep ignoring. HERE IT IS AGAIN:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...2MemZkgn_eSd3e

I do not personally have a unit so I cannot give you exact specifics. I do not know anything more than the info found on the kickstarter page and what I have seen in the playlist of videos which is why I linked to them in my original post. From the beginning, more than once I have asked people watch the playlist of videos to show the quality of emulation. You may find some of your answers in them, some for sure but as for specifics like if the Master System has FM Synthesis I could not tell you as I cannot test myself. I recall seeing among several demonstrations, gamboy / Gameboy color / TG-16 & TurboCD / Snes / Famicom Disk System / The NeoGeo / Genesis / Mame / Atari7800 / Genesis / Amiga / Ported PC FPS.....

What storage does it use....that info as well as the devices full specifications, current features and a list of some just some of the current developers and more are all available on, THE KICKSTARTER page, again the one I linked to in my first post. So excuse me if I say this one last time, to be clear you are free to not be into it or support it etc. FROM THE BEGINNING I have asked only you give it a fair shake MEANING go to the kickstarter page and read all the info there, watch the playlist of videos to see for yourself just some of the emulators and ore importantly the quality of their performance. THEN TELL ME one of these brand new is not worth $135 and I will totally understand and accept your decision (even if I do not agree with it) Thanks. Now for your convenience those links ONCE MORE:

Kickstarter page with all kinds of wacky stuff like specifications / goals / The Team / Developers (important as they have done some kick ass stuff previously) / Specification (Like storage medium, features etc) OH and you can even ASK QUESTIONS and get answers direct form the Developers!:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...aming-handheld

Playlist of demonstration videos showing several of the emulators and their performance:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...2MemZkgn_eSd3e

I have tried to answer all questions from the beginning but do tire repeating myself or answering questions where all the info (and much more) can be provided from the links I supplied. Thanks.

P.S. @ Satoshi :
    Internal storage: 8 GB, most of which is available for applications and data / External storage: micro SDHC up to 32 GB or micro SDXC of 64 GB (SDXC cards must be reformatted before use) NOW PLEASE GO READ THE REST FOR YOURSELF....
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 01-14-2013 at 01:38 AM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

ADDITIONAL VIDEO I JUST DISCOVERED (NOT PART OF THE PLAYLIST) Emulated : -Xenon 2 : Atari ST- Sunset Riders : FBA
    - Super Street Fighter II Turbo : FBA
    - KOF 98 : FBA
    - Garou : FBA
    - Metroid Fusion : GBA
    - Rayman : GBA
    - Wario 4 : GBA
    - Srapyard Dog : Lynx
    - Coryoon Dragon : PCEngine
    - Final Match Tennis : PCEngine
    - SuperMonacoGP : SMS

Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 02-06-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah this is really looking great. I hope it does catch on and so then as time goes on theyll release new versions and have great technical support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously, everyone. The videos real do prove the quality of the emulation of this device as well as can possibly be done without seeing an actual unit. The gameplay looks incredibly smooth and faithful to the originals.

I have done lots of PSP emulation gaming in the past, and was certainly also disappointed by SNES performance. That was years ago, though, so maybe it's better now.

The d-pad on this Kickstarter device looks amazing, too. Just what I want for classic NES and SNES emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lot's of people are mentioning PSP, but it's been my experience with the PSP that when the screen scrolls, it can look pretty crappy. Since tons of retro games have those kind of scrolling screens, I just think that the PSP doesn't have the ideal kind of screen for emulation. Plus, widescreen screens aren't where retro games should be played. I'm a 4:3 purist when it comes to playing games pre Dreamcast. There is SO much amazing stuff out there pre-Dreamcast, so why not own a really good portable emulation device with a nice 4:3 screen.

The thing is, I'd really need to see one of these in person to be convinced. I'd need to feel the D-Pad and see how the screen looks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Rise Of The Triad has been ported to the GCW Zero

WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Other devices are oversized as well, but that doesn't make it acceptable.
    I want something between the sizes of a GB micro and a DS Lite.
    I have never seen an adult pull any handheld game device out of their pocket. Kids yes. Most people wouldn't keep somthing they paid $200+ for in their pocket. I don't even know why people think that portable or handheld automatically means pocket.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    I have never seen an adult pull any handheld game device out of their pocket. Kids yes. Most people wouldn't keep somthing they paid $200+ for in their pocket. I don't even know why people think that portable or handheld automatically means pocket.
    You're kidding, right? Many adults and kids walk around everyday with $200+ smartphones in their pockets. I know I do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wallet and phone say hi.
    I suppose adults are supposed to carry around little bags and fanny packs for their gizmos?

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Not sure if its been posted here but they announced a spec bump from 256 to 512 ram and internal storage from 8 to 16 gigs.

Honestly I'm not sure if they will make their kickstarter goal but I hope they do, seems like an interesting successor to the Dingoo style devices and a MUCH cheaper alternative to the pandora device.

Hope the analog stick is replaceable, the 3DS style nub is vastly superior to the PSP version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Check it out

Well they will meet their goal, they have bumped the specs and if any of you are still on the fence:

Must listen podcast!
    Justin Barwick, the CEO of Game Consoles Worldwide, just completed an interview for the Geeks With Wives podcast. In the interview he discusses many things about the GCW Zero including the Kickstarter campaign, the hardware, the games, the cost, and more. Give it a listen and then let us know what you think.

http://geekswithwives.com/2013/01/gw...st-episode-67/
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XianXi

Sorry if this is a dumb question, if I pledge $160 do I get a first run console or just a chance to own one by paying more when it comes out?
    http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/
    Pandora/Blue Elf Adapters, Kick Harness Adapters, Custom CMVS Units, Neo Geo DIY Guides, Arcade PCBs, Neo Geo mods and more!!
    Jamma Nation X Videos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Second. I've read it like 5 times and I can't be sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XianXi View Post
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, if I pledge $160 do I get a first run console or just a chance to own one by paying more when it comes out?
    Not a dumb question. I was wondering that same thing, as it's very oddly-worded. "This level of support or above guarantees you one of our first round of consoles shipped,..." I'll bet we're overthinking it, though.

I did ask them this exact question on their Kickstarter page. I'll post here if I get a response.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Not a dumb question. I was wondering that same thing, as it's very oddly-worded. "This level of support or above guarantees you one of our first round of consoles shipped,..." I'll bet we're overthinking it, though.

I did ask them this exact question on their Kickstarter page. I'll post here if I get a response.

I had read that if you pledge $135 you get one of the first run units.

So if you pledge $160 you get the same thing?

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Yay they made it earlier today!

I hope they make their stated goal for release in a couple of months. Seems that all they need to do is put production orders in at this point based on what I've seen on that guys youtube channel.

Also to answer the questions posted above:

$135 Pledge Level
    -Guarantees a first production run console
    -Access to official site/forums

$160 Pledge Level
    -Guarantees a first production run console
    -Acess to offical site/forums
    -T-shirt with GCW logos
    -Glass etched with the GCW logo
    -Decal with GCW logo

Yeah its worded weird but nothing on the pledge list implies that one gets preference over the other. The only real difference is that your SUPER AWESOME for paying 25 bucks more for a shirt, glass, and decal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I'm still not 100% confident based on the wording (you get an early shot at...) I went ahead and backed it at the $135 level.

This looks like it might have enough momentum that they really keep adding features, like supporting the HDMI out and allowing the use of USB controllers, neither of which they have added yet but are in the works, supposedly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, guaranteed a first run unit does NOT mean you GET a first run unit with that pledge. It could mean that you get ACCESS to the first run of units only. I wanna pledge, but I really need this to be clear first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Id rather have a kickstarter petition to have Sega make a new console.....IDEA!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great news!

They responded to my question and said they had gotten this question from several people. And they posted an update to their Kickstarter project stating clearly that you do, indeed, get one of the consoles for the pledge price. So for $135 or more you will definitely get a console.

This is all assuming, of course, that they do succeed in manufacturing the product. There is never a guarantee with these Kickstarter projects. Personally, I'm happy to take the risk.