Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Why isn't there a modern day Super Star Wars game, or Jurassic Park ?

  1. #1
    Banana (Level 7) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Why isn't there a modern day Super Star Wars game, or Jurassic Park ?

    Remember when the Super Nintendo had Super Star Wars and Jurassic Park ? Back in those classic days, you'd see game companies license a movie property, and try to "re-create" that movie experience for the home game. With the power that modern day consoles have, wouldn't it be cool if they tried to "re-make" Star Wars as a video game ? How about Jurassic Park, or Aliens or Raiders of the Lost Ark ? How about Total Recall or Starship Troopers ? Why aren't any publishers getting these licenses and trying to "re-create" a classic movie ? The last time that this legitimately happened was Scarface and The Warriors.

    When Telltale games got the Jurassic Park license, I got real excited for a second, hoping that eventually some other developer would get a crack at the Jurassic Park license. (no offense to Telltale, but point and clicks aren't my bag...)


    I'm sure somebody will say that Gearbox is doing Aliens, so I should be happy, but as far as I know, they are doing an original story. I kinda want to see somebody follow the storyline of the movie as close as it would make sense to, and to also license the faces for the actors in the movie, and stuff like that. Use the actual soundtrack, etc, etc.

    How about Predator or Terminator 2 ?


    Just imagine if one of these movies really got the triple A treatment on either current or Next-Gen systems. I think it would be pretty awesome. I bought Super Star Wars the day that game released, and let me tell you, it was a very special experience playing that game on a home console. Sure, the game had it's share of problems (difficulty was set too high / one hit kills), but it had great graphics and great sound, and it gave you the "feel" of the movie. You have to judge those games for the time in which they came out, so you have to cut them some slack.

  2. #2
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,480
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default

    In the case of Star Wars, I'm sure it's a bit of been there done that. But they've done the LEGO games remember. Also games like Battlefront take place amidst the movie stories. As for other properties, there have been plenty of licensed games, both old and new, lately. However, you have to factor in the license cost with how many copies you may sell. Jurassic Park, T2 on SNES were new movies back then. I like the Tell Tale games, but I would have rather seen a full 3D BTTF game. That requires a LOT more money to develop, and I just don't think they believe in the ROI of it. Indiana Jones 360/PS3 was canceled for lack of money to fund the project.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  3. #3
    Kirby (Level 13) j_factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA (representin')
    Posts
    5,231
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    A game that takes two hours to beat isn't really considered acceptable by current standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

  4. #4
    Kirby (Level 13) Leo_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,871
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    A game that takes two hours to beat isn't really considered acceptable by current standards.
    A game that takes two hours to beat after many hours of playtime to get skilled enough to manage the feat.

    A two hour game from 20 years ago was rarely a two hour experience.

  5. #5
    Kirby (Level 13) j_factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA (representin')
    Posts
    5,231
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    A game that takes two hours to beat after many hours of playtime to get skilled enough to manage the feat.

    A two hour game from 20 years ago was rarely a two hour experience.
    Right, but still not really considered acceptable today. Remove the license from Super Star Wars or Jurassic Park, and it's still the sort of game that just isn't coming out anymore. And if a game like that did get released today, it would likely be panned.
    Last edited by j_factor; 01-14-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

  6. #6
    Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,545
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    With how big third and first person shooters are this gen, a FPS Jurassic Park if marketed properly would probably sell a lot. I'd say do a FPS remake of the SNES game. No elevator music, no buy.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

  7. #7
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,765
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    With how big third and first person shooters are this gen, a FPS Jurassic Park if marketed properly would probably sell a lot. I'd say do a FPS remake of the SNES game. No elevator music, no buy.
    So basically a new Turok.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]


  8. #8
    Banana (Level 7) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Right, but still not really considered acceptable today. Remove the license from Super Star Wars or Jurassic Park, and it's still the sort of game that just isn't coming out anymore. And if a game like that did get released today, it would likely be panned.

    I didn't mean a 2D classic retro style game. I'm talking a full 3D Uncharted type game. Or something using like an Assassin's Creed engine or Frostbite from DICE.


    I'm talking more about the concept of trying to make a realistic type remake of the original movie. Instead of trying to go with all new content, instead, more closely following the original script. You'd need to pay for the licenses to the character's faces, and have guys that imitate their voice good. Like that recent Back to the Future game. Also, in regards to the game taking 2 hours, Halo 4 only takes about 8 hours to beat, and that would be a perfectly acceptable length.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    So basically a new Turok.

    The last Turok was so horrible that you wonder if a totally original name wouldn't be a better idea. If only dinosaurs in games were as popular as zombies in games. I've heard somebody is working on a Jurrassic Park type mod for Far Cry 3, which should be cool. I was just saying the Jurassic Park type license, just to shoot for the moon. That classic John Williams soundtrack would be nice...
    Last edited by WCP; 01-14-2013 at 04:59 PM.

  9. #9
    Ghostbuster
    Greg2600's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Soprano Land, NJ
    Posts
    3,480
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

    Default

    You have a similar issue that James Bond games have. The game you envision is very single player oriented, which few are playing these days. Secondly, as with 007, how many stories can you concoct or rehash from the Star Wars movies? If I had my way, I would ask LucasArts to take games like Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance, and revamp them and release those! They had great single player story modes, and they took a long time to beat!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

  10. #10
    Kirby (Level 13) j_factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oakland, CA (representin')
    Posts
    5,231
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I didn't mean a 2D classic retro style game. I'm talking a full 3D Uncharted type game. Or something using like an Assassin's Creed engine or Frostbite from DICE.


    I'm talking more about the concept of trying to make a realistic type remake of the original movie. Instead of trying to go with all new content, instead, more closely following the original script. You'd need to pay for the licenses to the character's faces, and have guys that imitate their voice good. Like that recent Back to the Future game. Also, in regards to the game taking 2 hours, Halo 4 only takes about 8 hours to beat, and that would be a perfectly acceptable length.
    How do you stretch a 2 hour movie to 8 hours without making it extremely tedious?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

  11. #11
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    You have a similar issue that James Bond games have. The game you envision is very single player oriented, which few are playing these days. Secondly, as with 007, how many stories can you concoct or rehash from the Star Wars movies? If I had my way, I would ask LucasArts to take games like Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance, and revamp them and release those! They had great single player story modes, and they took a long time to beat!
    I have to agree. With Star Wars in particular, the material from the movies has been mined so many times in different Star Wars video and computer games that I'm not really sure what's left. The games you listed from the 90s actually expanded the story and universe in neat ways and had great gameplay to boot. I'd love to see something more along those lines than another movie adaptation.

    With Jurassic Park, there have already been other attempts at adapting the material including in video games on various consoles and the big flop that was Trespasser. I just don't think there is a whole lot of public demand for Jurassic Park related games or anything else right now. Maybe if they actually get the relaunch/4th movie out the door and it's a success, then demand will be sufficient to justify a new game. Having said that, I don't think Jurassic Park was really about hunting dinosaurs, it was more about escaping from them.

  12. #12
    Banana (Level 7) WCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,411
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    How do you stretch a 2 hour movie to 8 hours without making it extremely tedious?
    Well, in a movie, things have to be cut to keep the length from getting overblown, but in the game, you could explore the action sequences in more detail. For example, when Luke takes the trip to Mos Eisley with Obi Wan, that could be a much longer, exploratory part of the game. Mos Eisley could be like a city in Assassin's Creed. You know that one spy guy in Mos Eisley that is wearing goggles and has a super long snout ? Well, there could be missions where you play as that guy, and you're doing his mission.

    They could do all kinds of things to make in interesting.

  13. #13
    Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Daria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,214
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    How do you stretch a 2 hour movie to 8 hours without making it extremely tedious?
    I dunno, but I think The Hobbit might be an experiment to find out.

  14. #14
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Gameguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ontario (Canada)
    Posts
    7,170
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    How do you stretch a 2 hour movie to 8 hours without making it extremely tedious?
    Ask Peter Jackson or Ken Burns.


    As for all these old franchises I can see why they aren't making games for them as often now, they're not that popular anymore. There were Terminator games put out for the most recent films in the series and they were terrible, plus with the last couple of films they ruined the franchise so it's pretty much dead. As for why games are usually stand alone stories rather than remakes of the films it's usually because of three reasons, the first is that people would rather watch the actual film than play through a game with the same plot or story(unless it's just loosely based on the film and focuses on fun gameplay over story), and the second is that you'd have to license the likeness of the actors in the film unless you feature completely new characters. You could just change the looks of the characters from their look in the films but people would complain that they're different, it's easier to just have new characters instead. The third is that while a company might license the rights to make a game based on the franchise, that doesn't mean that they've licensed the script of the actual movie(it's now making something licensed on the franchise rather than a specific movie). Same with using music from the movie. It's a lot different now than the NES or 16-bit days. That's not to say that nobody would make games like this but it would be more costly, most developers wouldn't opt for those extra costs.

    With Star Wars basically everything was owned by Lucas, the story, the characters, and the game company making the games were all owned by him. They made games based closely on the films back in the 80's and 90's, more recently they made games based on the universe but consisting of different characters. I'm assuming it's because of the licensing of the likenesses of the original actors, it could also be that they figured people were tired of the original stories and wanted to expand on them instead.

  15. #15
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,272
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Well, in a movie, things have to be cut to keep the length from getting overblown, but in the game, you could explore the action sequences in more detail. For example, when Luke takes the trip to Mos Eisley with Obi Wan, that could be a much longer, exploratory part of the game. Mos Eisley could be like a city in Assassin's Creed. You know that one spy guy in Mos Eisley that is wearing goggles and has a super long snout ? Well, there could be missions where you play as that guy, and you're doing his mission.

    They could do all kinds of things to make in interesting.
    Forgive me, but that sounds like a terrible game.

  16. #16
    16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    BlastProcessing402's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,282
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    I'd buy a Robocop vs Terminator game using the Fallout 3 engine. VATS would actually make sense if you were controlling a cyborg, it's his heads up display and stuff.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM
  2. Jurassic Park Arcade
    By jondrewfoo in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 01:04 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 04:15 PM
  4. I <3 Jurassic Park!
    By Zadoc in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
  5. LAST DAY! CIB Zelda LTTP, Super Game Boy Super Star Wars!
    By boatofcar in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 04:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •