Thread: Wii - Metroid Prime Trilogy Disc Error - Advice Wanted

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wii - Metroid Prime Trilogy Disc Error - Advice Wanted

I have a black Family Edition Wii, the ca. 2011 model that is not compatible with Gamecube; has not had many hours of play.
    I just bought Metroid Prime Trilogy. Game started fine; I started a new game in Prime 3. Got to Ridley, beat Ridley, game suddenly crashed and gave me a read error.
    Stupid me, I had set up the Wii on the side. OK, fix that. Disc had some fingerprints, no scratches. Wiped the disc, looks flawless. Same error. This is a dual-layer disc, and I understand that there are occasionally errors like this, but on the late-model Wii?
    The Wii lens cleaning kit is no longer available, except from some retailers for almost $30. So I haven't tried that.

I called Nintendo; they will repair the Wii console (if it needs any repair) for free, BUT, they want me to send the console plus the Metroid Prime Trilogy game; the game cost me more than $80.

What would you do? I'm nervous about sending the game and getting the damn thing back.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    I called Nintendo; they will repair the Wii console (if it needs any repair) for free, BUT, they want me to send the console plus the Metroid Prime Trilogy game; the game cost me more than $80.

What would you do? I'm nervous about sending the game and getting the damn thing back.
    The cleaning kit might make matters worse making the eye jump around. When I took my Wii apart there was no dust, I doubt the kit help anyways.

I would not let that Metroid Trilogy out of my site. The locked saves in the console is also an issue. How do other dual layer games run such as Smash Brothers and Rayman Party Collection? Even if they work, maybe a replacement laser might be the answer to play your Trilogy all the way thru?

The laser is an inexpensive repair and can be done yourself.
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...621948#p621948
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Time to softmod your wii, just get an external usb hdd and rip your games in it. No more read errors. or if you just want to rip metroid, a 16 gb usb key would be fine too. But since you had problems with it you could find it on the net to store on your hdd or key, since you already own the game I dont think this would be wrong.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are not afraid to take it apart you could try cleaning the lens with alcohol and a q-tip. I was unable to find disassembly instructions but it appears the drive is the same as in the original Wii. If you look at the picture which I shamelessly stole from here, http://deadlyfoez.zzl.org/raffle-wii/, you should be able to reach the lens from the circled area.

Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I've actually had decent results with the official Nintendo lens cleaning tool. It is not a spinning brush on an optical disc, it's actually just a microfiber/nonabrasive swab on piece of plastic that you apply a lens cleaning fluid to and it wipes the lens.

My Wii had trouble with dual layer discs until I used that, after that it hasn't had any problems since. (I think I may have used it once preemptively about a year after the initial use).

But, yes, they're in short supply these days.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good to hear, Frankie. Thank you to the other posters for the feedback. My wife bought it and would kill me if I tried to take it apart, which would void the warranty (I have 10 more months of it). I really don't like having to send the Metroid game. Strange to me that they would ask me to.

I'm sorry, but ripping Wii games? Illegal and how is that even possible?
    Last edited by Eternal Champion; 01-11-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

good to hear, Frankie. Thank you to the other posters for the feedback. My wife bought it and would kill me if I tried to take it apart, which would void the warranty (I have 10 more months of it). I really don't like having to send the Metroid game. Strange to me that they would ask me to.

I'm sorry, but ripping Wii games? Illegal and how is that even possible?
    Its actually very easy, you just need an sd card and hdd or usb key. Check out wiiso.com for tutorials. Ripping your own games is not illegal you own them, would be the best way to play your game without using the lens of the dvd drive. Check out wiiflow on youtube you ll see what its like after.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't like having to send the Metroid game. Strange to me that they would ask me to.
    I also would have refused to do that unless they gave me some sort of iron clad guarantee.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Its actually very easy, you just need an sd card and hdd or usb key. Check out wiiso.com for tutorials. Ripping your own games is not illegal you own them, would be the best way to play your game without using the lens of the dvd drive. Check out wiiflow on youtube you ll see what its like after.
    Maybe. But he can't rip the game if his wii won't read it.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My local Family Video has Metroid Prime Trilogy; I was able to play from my save point, beat Ridley, continue fine to the next save. Popped in my copy, could load the next save point, but only play about a minute before it crashed again. The rental copy did not do this, so it must be a bad copy or whatever. Metroid the Other M, apparently also dual-layer, loads and plays fine (but is a shit game!). Now I get to go through Ebay return rigamarole.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

80 bucks!? Wow, glad I got mine back when when Best Buy was clearancing them out for 20. Shame you got a defective one at that price, hope your Ebay return rigamarole goes well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I dunno; that doesn't seem "easy" to me, and no way am I f#$%ing with my Wii by soft-modding it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I dunno; that doesn't seem "easy" to me, and no way am I f#$%ing with my Wii by soft-modding it.
    theres no soldering and opening up the console, only an sd card in the wii with programs to run. I never modded a console, but i softmodded my 2 wiis by following tutorials step by step, I was surprised how easy it is. Its really the easiest solution to your problem, just sayin! and wiis are really cheap, got mine for 60$ like new CIB with nsmb on craiglist.