Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .........................

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default .........................

Last edited by AlphaGamer; 04-02-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

ok call me stupid but why are they throwing away game cases? Don't those cases belong to games? And if so then where are said games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It just makes my CIB games more valuable, so I'm certainly not too annoyed.
    I do think it's a waste, especially if it isn't being disposed of properly, and would never do it myself, though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    ok call me stupid but why are they throwing away game cases? Don't those cases belong to games? And if so then where are said games?
    To save space. It takes up far less space to put a bunch of DS carts in a display case or pop discs into paper sleeves and dump them in a bin that it would in complete condition on the walls, where newer (and more expensive) products can be placed.

BTW, this isn't exactly a new policy, Gamestop has been doing this for DECADES, since the 16 bit era.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I pisses me the hell off!

I was looking for a complete copy of Puzzle Quest for the DS two years ago and finally had to give up and order it off Ebay. None of the Vintage Stocks or Game Exchanges in my area had a copy. The only place that had a copy was Gestapo and guess what... It was used and therefore cart only.

One of the most popular, best selling handhelds of all time and still current and quite relevant to the gaming scene (3DS was not out yet) and Gestapo decides to throw away all the cases and instructions! Brilliant, freaking Brilliant.

I refused to buy it and looked around for like 6 months. I could find the PS2 version and PSP version but for a while it seemed like the DS version was gold locally. But like I said, I ended up ordering it off Ebay so all is well.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This is a US only thing. I've never seen any Canadian stores throwing away cases, for games traded in without cases they're usually sold with generic cases with a generic paper printout with the name on it. I mentioned recently(few months ago) that I've seen copies of Harvey Birdman for PS2 at $0.99, this was with the original case and inserts.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    To save space. It takes up far less space to put a bunch of DS carts in a display case or pop discs into paper sleeves and dump them in a bin that it would in complete condition on the walls, where newer (and more expensive) products can be placed.

BTW, this isn't exactly a new policy, Gamestop has been doing this for DECADES, since the 16 bit era.
    huh is this a out west kinda thing because I been to multiple gamestops in new england and out side of new england (even in nashville area) and I never seen this done.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    huh is this a out west kinda thing because I been to multiple gamestops in new england and out side of new england (even in nashville area) and I never seen this done.
    I think it really depends on the size of the store too... I've noticed that the larger stores do still have the previous gen games (DS, PS2, GC) still in their original cases. Could depend on the staff running the joint as well.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Couple things. Firstly, Gamestop's are basically out of their Gamecube and in many cases PS2 games. Since they no longer allow trade ins, what you see (loose discs for PS2) is largely all they have left. I won't comment on DS as to what they are throwing away or not, but the second point is that often that is how Gamestop gets the stuff traded in! Many parents or kids themselves throw the cases away.

One final point is that even though Gamestop may put out a blank case holder, they may actually have the game's original case in the back room. I was at a GS not long ago, when they started blowing out the Gamecube inventory. I picked out several games, and the employee went to find all the discs. When she came back, she was putting the discs into blank cases. I stopped her, and said I wanted the case with manual I picked out. She was a newbie, and told me the "policy" was to retain the original case, if they still had more discs, so it could be displayed. I of course got the more senior dude there, who said it was fine. So my point is through policy or just plain disorganization and clutter, Gamestop misplaces the cases.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This started with E.T. on the Atari 2600, not Gamestop.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by AlphaGamer; 04-02-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it really depends on the size of the store too... I've noticed that the larger stores do still have the previous gen games (DS, PS2, GC) still in their original cases. Could depend on the staff running the joint as well.
    In my area even the stores that still sell PS2 and Gamecube games in cases also have a fair amount of disc only copies in disc sleeves.

Also, I think it's time we give all the "Gamestop sucks" threads their own subforum. I mean, the servbot got a subforum just for malfunctioning all the time(even though it should have been put out of it's misery) so why not.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

When I worked there in 2006-2007 we never did that. The only cases that were tossed were broken ones and replaced. Games that had no box or cover art were given a case with GS cover art.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gamestop just sucks. People need to really start a campaign to make them change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Gamestop just sucks. People need to really start a campaign to make them change.
    I've stopped looking for used games at the Gestapo anymore. Most have their shitty insert anyway. The ones that have the original insert are usually games I don't want. Very few with manuals and scratched discs make it just a waste of my fucking time.

And, I've always wished they'd just invest in disc resurfacers. I understand that it's not worth it to scrub a PS2 game clean for resale, but some of their PS3/360 games look like they were pressed against a bench grinder. Cheap fucks.

As for collecting, I would never turn to Gamestop to find a "collectible" game unless you pre-ordered something brand new.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AceAerosmith View Post
    I've stopped looking for used games at the Gestapo anymore. Most have their shitty insert anyway. The ones that have the original insert are usually games I don't want. Very few with manuals and scratched discs make it just a waste of my fucking time.

And, I've always wished they'd just invest in disc resurfacers. I understand that it's not worth it to scrub a PS2 game clean for resale, but some of their PS3/360 games look like they were pressed against a bench grinder. Cheap fucks.

As for collecting, I would never turn to Gamestop to find a "collectible" game unless you pre-ordered something brand new.
    I still shop at Gamestop for used games. As mentioned earlier, the Refund Policy helps to find a game CIB inexpensively thru multiple locations. Another trick is to presearch at their online site and look at the stores tjhat do not list "Low Stock". A better chance of finding used CIB or in the case of new games, still sealed.

Gamestop can send scratched games back to their own refurbishing center. You can tell, the UPC sticker has a large R on it. I'm not keen on the refurbished discs, few have not worked for me.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

What do you expect from company specialized in making profit. If you really hate them, I would stop buying from them. I would use Craigslist to hunt for used games.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The worst part was when I sold them a GBA SP, they were in such a hurry to throw away the box that they did so before even paying for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They have to get rid of older games at some point, they're not really like an indy game store where they carry tons of retro games.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 01-15-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryudo View Post
    When I worked there in 2006-2007 we never did that. The only cases that were tossed were broken ones and replaced. Games that had no box or cover art were given a case with GS cover art.
    What about GBA games?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.