Thread: .........................

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I've actually seen a Gamestop that had an actual heiarchy of pricing. A boxed copy that didn't have a manual actually had a slightly lower priced sticker than a copy of the game behind it on the display that had the manual. I don't know if they did that because of the manual or if it was because of the condition of the actual disc behind the counter.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry

It also gets under my skin. I was looking for a copy of SMT: Strange Journey a few months back and one of the local Gamestops said they didn't have it, but called a nearby store and it turns out that the other one did and the employee said they'd hold it for me. I immediately drove over there and requested the game at the counter. The girl working there walked over to the sliding game drawer and pulled out an envelope with the cart in it. It was not only missing the case, but even had a yellow price tag smacked right across the frong label. I basically said "no thanks" and walked out.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I've actually seen a Gamestop that had an actual heiarchy of pricing. A boxed copy that didn't have a manual actually had a slightly lower priced sticker than a copy of the game behind it on the display that had the manual. I don't know if they did that because of the manual or if it was because of the condition of the actual disc behind the counter.
    I've seen several copies of the same game with different prices at the same store, but that was because they were too lazy to update the stickers when the prices changed. I've seen this happen at several stores over the years.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've seen several copies of the same game with different prices at the same store, but that was because they were too lazy to update the stickers when the prices changed. I've seen this happen at several stores over the years.
    Fun fact: If it's mispriced lower they're SUPPOSE to honor the sticker price. Couple years back I argued my way into a cheap-o copy of Xenogears 2 that was marked with a Xenogears 1 sticker. But YMMV, some managers are just dicks.

Edit: As for throwing away boxes, back in the day when they actually sold retro games I saved a minty tetris box and manual from the garbage. We didn't throw away that kind of stuff at my store, but then boxed games were a rare trade in. The one time can remember someone actually bringing in a lot of really nice boxed NES games we ended up talking the customer into taking the time to sell it on ebay.
    Last edited by Daria; 01-15-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    The one time can remember someone actually bringing in a lot of really nice boxed NES games we ended up talking the customer into taking the time to sell it on ebay.
    Believe it or not that actually happened to me at a chain store(not Gamestop) that use to exist here a few years ago. Most of the employees knew me from always trading in stuff or just buying games. One day I was trying to trade in Disc World II for the PS1 and the cashier told me that I'd be better off selling it on ebay because the store would only give me $5 credit for it and at the time it was going for $25 and up. I'll never forget that experience as it was memorable for all the right reasons.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Gamestop just sucks. People need to really start a campaign to make them change.
    Here is your campaign. Shop someplace else.

Enough people don't give a crap about what GS does that they're never going to change, so just stop shopping there if you find it so awful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That or find a way to try and class action sue them for selling used goods as new with their open box shenanigans. Even if you lost that one or they settled, the fact it would get out there would make more people aware you're buying used goods as new with deceptive practices with how they do it.